mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Need to replace gaming headset. Any recommendations?

So I'm currently using a Logitech gaming headset and the solder that connects the USB connector to the main board is starting to break off. This is causing issues like crashes and interrupted audio.

I've been doing some reading and it seems like the consensus is that "gaming" headsets give you less for your money and that it's better and sometimes cheaper to pick up a quality headphone and modmic. I know literally nothing about headsets or headphones so I don't really know what to look for or what makes one good or not so I'm open to suggestions.

I see a few brands come up regularly in the discussions, such as Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and Audio-Technica. All I'm looking for is clear audio that doesn't lean too heavily towards the highs or lows. Primary use is gaming and movies.

Does anyone have any recommendations or know of a good place to read up on this stuff?

Last edited by CCM Photographer; 11-22-2017 at 05:41 PM.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I would use a Sennheiser HD
and for the mic maybe a volume-sensitive USB mic

I use HD 545

And a Logitech USB Desktop microphone if I ever do Ventrilo or that sort of thing
I haven't used the mic or Ventrilo in almost 10 years though
They worked really well back then
I've even used the desktop mic for classes to record the teacher from my desk, with an HP Mini netbook, but to be honest I never had to refer to these WAV recordings, but it was clear enough

I used to have Sennheiser HD 555 and HD 595 but I sold them because they were "too exact" as I would put it
I just needed the headphones so I can hear enemy footsteps and where they're coming from in my PC games
So players accuse me of "wall-hack" when I only have to stop and listen where they are in the next room

The thing with Sennheisers is you have to baby them and protect the cables and 6.3 to 3.5 adapters, they use very bendy materials

Last edited by Pittsburgh Stinkbugs; 11-22-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

What is your audio source (I ask because you mention using USB Audio)? If you have a decent audio source (i.e. a good soundchip on a desktop mobo, or dedicated soundcard) I recommend an Audio Technica ATH-M50x and an Ant Lion ModMic. A lot of bang for the buck in that combo (I use it for travel). Depending on your sound source you may not get simulated surround (Dolby Atmos/Headphone, etc) but, personally that stuff never works for me anyways.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

CNET says to get the Bose Quiet Comfort 35, if you're getting the mic separately.

For movies at least, think about getting a sound card.
It changes digital audio to analog so your headphones don't have to.
Your motherboard's chip or USB headphone also decompresses the digital audio but not as nicely.

Soundcards can also do "virtual" 5.1/7.1 surround sound, but like uv_halo said it doesn't really work.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
i use a steelseries arctis 5 its relatively cheap (about $100) with "surround" sound, its USB by nature, but comes with an analog adapter so it can be used like regular headphones.. and its comfortable

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

I've been using my logitech g35 headset for many years. I'm not going to say that the sound quality is top notch, but the microphone seems to be very good.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Club
I'm a real cheapskate. I've been using my Turtle Beach x12's since 2011. They broke once, which was totally on me. Resoldered and they still work great. I find a lot of new headsets tend to be super heavy or wireless (dealbreaker). Going to rock these until they are unfixable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hug Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pif View Post
I'm a real cheapskate. I've been using my Turtle Beach x12's since 2011. They broke once, which was totally on me. Resoldered and they still work great. I find a lot of new headsets tend to be super heavy or wireless (dealbreaker). Going to rock these until they are unfixable.
Those x12's are quite the trooper I've had mine for equally as long and probably abused them more and they're still working great...... Now that I post this I have a dread that they're gonna crap the bucket and die on me now....
Old 11-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
What is your audio source (I ask because you mention using USB Audio)? If you have a decent audio source (i.e. a good soundchip on a desktop mobo, or dedicated soundcard) I recommend an Audio Technica ATH-M50x and an Ant Lion ModMic. A lot of bang for the buck in that combo (I use it for travel). Depending on your sound source you may not get simulated surround (Dolby Atmos/Headphone, etc) but, personally that stuff never works for me anyways.
I get my audio straight from the onboard audio on EVGA mITX motherboard. No room for a dedicated sound card so I plug directly to the mobo using either usb or 3.5mm. I think the onboard chip is a Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3Di.

I've been reading up on the Audio Technica headphones and a majority of people recommend the m50x, AD900x, and AD700x.. depending on what you use them for. What's your thoughts on portable sound cards with the built-in headphone amp?

Last edited by CCM Photographer; 11-26-2017 at 06:32 PM.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
typically USB connection bypasses the onboard soundcard and does the processing though the device, case in point my speakers, connect through USB, and i dont install my sound card drivers on my motherboards, because they dont get used.. now, if you have a designated USB audio port, that would be different

as far as onboard sound goes, its all about the same, i was always a big soundblaster guy over the years, they have been in the game for over 20 years now, they must be doing something right

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 11-28-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in