mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

when you take photo or video's. do you wish had laptop with you or can wait to get home and do it. also by have laptop can take with when you need for quick editing of photo and videos. have with share your stuff with buddy's or friends and family too. since never know when will need around nice thing about desktop can leave at home and not worry about breaking. you said had issue with laptop. most editing and video editing programs need 16gb low end to run properly too. keep that in mind when doing laptop or desktop computer. ever since i got laptop never thought going back to desktop nice to have around to use and share photo's since can bring spare backup hard drive to show pictures or videos too.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

As someone that's worked in the post (audio) industry and prone to long posts, I have deleted a multiparagraph behemoth of an information dump, because I'm pretty sure no one cares that much. So I'd boil it down to this advice.

Go Desktop. Build it around, or find something built around, a Dual M.2 hard drive design if at all possible. Save up a few extra bucks if necessary. Raid the two drives, if you can.

Also consider external hard drives to save the raw and edited/rendered footage *OFF THE MACHINE!* USB drives come in 128gb+ now for $30? It's insane. They're almost cheap enough to store one project per USB drive. We're living in the future!

Consider learning/investing in a video editing program. Like a good knife in the kitchen, not only will it be quicker once you get used to it. It will also be way more fun!

It's mind bending the bang for buck available at the consumer level. I have hopes that media content is going to get really creative and diverse pretty darn quick, if it isn't already! Exciting times!

Oh, and keep a separate device for p0rn and torrents, if you're still old-school and download stuff. Reformatting a throwaway device instead of your editing machine will save you much heart break. I heard that from a friend... ;p

Happy deal hunting, Killerito!

Last edited by Bang*Bang**; 10-04-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
the oddballer

Thanks. All desk top it is. Let the research begin
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-im-broke.html
Feed back
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...feed-back.html
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
I need to get a new desktop, following to see where you land Ito
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGryphyn View Post
In years past, buying a cheap laptop always meant you were getting a slow, 5400 rpm rotating disk drive, vs an SSD you could get in a more expensive laptop. These days though, SSD costs have come down, and you can find them even in inexpensive machines. Definitely do not buy a laptop without one.
I second this, I bought a recent G3 Dell, I went with the Optane memory from intel it sucks. I highly recommend getting an actual SSD in any Laptop.
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Maybe you've found this already, but this seems to be a sensible guide as a starting point.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Bu...oto-Editing-PC

I'm a little sad to see the M.2 hard drives reserved for higher budgets, but it's not surprising at this point in time.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Bigger question... are you working in RAW and uncompressed/low compression encoding?

It makes a difference when keeping lots of project files. I had easily 2 TB of uncompressed project files when I was doing lots of video editing. The video recorder used a 256GB SSD and windows and programs ran on a 100GB SSD.

If you are doing simple video editing, you don't really need that.

GoPros record in .H264/.H265 or MP4 which are small files. What software are you using, and are you using just the MP4 encoder or a lossless one?

A lot of questions, but when encoding this determines the quality of the video.
If you are doing youtube videos, to get the best quality you need to render the video x2 the resolution you plan to set the video for youtube since youtube further compresses the video. So a 1080x1920 .mp4 video will further compress on youtube and will look worse than on you system. Uploading it at 4k resolution and setting it for 1080 will make it acceptable once youtube butchers it XD

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang*Bang** View Post
Maybe you've found this already, but this seems to be a sensible guide as a starting point.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Bu...oto-Editing-PC

I'm a little sad to see the M.2 hard drives reserved for higher budgets, but it's not surprising at this point in time.
TBH the M.2 drives are nice to have but it's literally a difference in microseconds transferring large files over a normal 2.5" SDD. My mom was doing an uber build for photo editing and went with m.2 and compared to my regular SDD it loads windows a fraction of a second faster. Not a big enough difference to make it worthwhile IMO.
Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
can concur, went from a 960pro to a 970pro m2 in my machine, aside from none of the formatting/transfer tools working correctly due to a bios issue and having to fresh install windows because of it (and it failing to recognize boot device after installing some software) it doesn't feel any faster to me at all, and for the amount of trouble and time it took, i wish i had never bought the damn thing

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

There isn't much difference between a SSD and an M.2 drive for just loading windows. Windows doesn't use that much data to run, and processes run in memory, so yeah.

The only time you'd get real performance out of a M.2 drive is when you are doing constant read/write jobs. So if you are moving data you'd see the difference especially if you formatted the drive for very large file bits, talking transferring terabytes of data. But then again your looking at going from say 10 minute transfer to 4 minute transfer :P. OR on the rare occasion you run out of memory and start page swapping (writing to disk), then you'd see great performance.

32+GB of memory will serve you much better since everything runs from memory and not from drives, no matter how fast.

M.2 is a gimmick :P

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in

« Borderlands 3. | - »