mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 05-17-2020, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

New machine question

My previous desktop windows machine died so I am thinking about the new one (currently using my laptop). I have several things I might use the machine for but they are somewhat conflicting. I know it is possible to set up multiple boots on a machine, but I have never done it and don't know how. Or even if I should.

Is it possible to set up the machine so that each purpose (database, CAD, video editing, etc.) are isolated from each other? I have had problem with things not playing nice together so would prefer isolation if it is possible. And simple. And cheap.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you're on windows maybe you want a different user account for every workspace? There's isn't an easy solution that I can think of, but this is not a problem I've had really usually software plays nice. What OS are you on?
ReconSWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you truly wanted each purpose separated you could partition your hard drive out into separate drives, format each one for windows and then upon startup hold down some button to bring up a window that will let you choose which drive you want the machine to boot up with. This route also means every application is truly separate. Want to query that DB? Restart your computer. Edit a video? Another Restart.

That's going to require a lot of HD space, and I don't know if windows licensing will let you just install their OS that many times without wanting more $$$

A more RAM intensive solution would be to use a virtualization program like parallels or virtual box. Windows actually provides free copies of their OS for development... you could probably utilize this for your database needs at a minimum. https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...tual-machines/

Though, depending on the database you're playing with, docker may be the best choice when it comes to virtualization.

As far as CAD and video editing, those are pretty RAM intensive so I'm not sure how well those would perform running in a vm. I'm sure if you did some googling though you'd get a few opinions.

Does the software you use support linux? I'm a coder so everything is linux friendly, but you could save some money and gain some stability running linux.

Last edited by ford; 05-22-2020 at 05:54 PM.
ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconSWS View Post
If you're on windows maybe you want a different user account for every workspace? There's isn't an easy solution that I can think of, but this is not a problem I've had really usually software plays nice. What OS are you on?
Windows 10.

My Feedback
Old 05-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Do you mind expounding on what these "conflicts" are? How old and what was your previous system?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
What died on your system? It may be able to be replaced.

Do not ask me to send paypal friends and family. It makes me call the Bat Phone.

My Feedback:

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
THE Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

The conflicts were things like it wouldn't install the latest SQL-Server because it saw an older copy of SQL-Server, which I had uninstalled. There have been others but it has been years. I seem to remember one bit of software wanting version X of something but another wanted version Y of the same thing.

The system that just died was less than a year old but it was a cheap stop gap for the real system that died just before it. The most recent died because the disk gor corrupted, the real system just stopped turning on and I was too busy to figure out why. It was at least 5 years old anyway. Once I get into PC building mode I will try to resurect the other ones. I certainly will be reusing some parts.

My Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in