mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   New To The Sport (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/)
-   -   does camo help.... ? (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/102637-does-camo-help.html)

R_Os 12-21-2009 07:01 PM

Bt's woodland digi works well. Its dark though so it helps if there is a good canopy overhead. Plus you can get pants, jersey and all sorts of molle gear in the same camo.

FiXeL 12-21-2009 07:01 PM

Camo as in camouflage? Well it works, but any muted colors will work. Olive, black, anything that does'nt stand out too much will work. You can't always blend in perfecly without it being practical for play. I've used camo, but i've dyed all of my camo gear black now.. No difference at all.

Prepaid Lenin 12-21-2009 07:22 PM

The human eye is far more attenuated to spotting movement than it ever will be at spotting still things.

But like Mar said, camo never hurt anyone.

Camo never hurt anyone outside of hunting season.

Spider! 12-21-2009 07:37 PM

camo works. as noted above, you're only "invisible" if you are not moving. I've actually been standing still with a few small trees (six to eight inch diameter) between me and a guy actually looking for someone to come down the trail, and he could not see me at about 30 yards. I stood in the open and waited for him to cross the trail. He was no newb either, I was coming around back and expected him to be checking.

I've also walked between players on a defense line 20 yards apart. They were hidden well enough that they couldn't see me creeping up. I had to turn around to shoot.

That doesn't mean you can't disappear wearing a red Hawaiian print shirt; however, it is fun when you have to shoot people before they walk too close in the middle of the day.

On the other hand, head-to-toe bdu's are not as good as a variety or, as LilShank noted, something that matches the field. You can go seasonal as well. Often small leaf hollies and cedars are bright green in the spring. I have a pair of freebie paintball pants that are bright green camo that make people laugh in the fall, but in the spring my legs are almost completely hidden in low growth.

Never try to hide in all white or any bright solid color. My son's first stalk was on a guy in a blue speed ball outfit laying under a tree on the other end of the field, next to a creek. We spotted him at game on and my son just crept down the creek beside him.

White shoes are the worst, lots of bright movement. White shirts are almost as bad.

I've also talked to a guy in a Ghillie on the field that I never did actually see. :confused:

alpha434 12-21-2009 08:00 PM

How you use camo depends on your playing style.

I'm very aggressive.
So I rely on camo as my last-ditch defense. Ideally, after I've made a mistake or two, the camo will give me that extra few seconds to fix things.

I also concentrate on shooting very very quiet guns. Occasionally, somebody will run clean by me and they won't see me because they're moving and the camo doesn't stand out. Nothing to give me away.

The big part though is your mask. And your gun. Everything else gets stuck behind a bunker. Camo doesn't help too much when running between bunkers. So the big giveaway is pointing a shiny gun at somebody with a shiny hopper on top. Maybe the human eye is attracted to movement, but the male eye is attracted to shiny! That doesn't mean you can't have different colored gear. It just has to be a little subdued. Dust brick red for instance. The mask is almost always one solid dark spot and people learn to shoot at the dark spot whether it moves or not. I always wear a white mask. That messes 'em up. Dull white > Black .

Gas mask 12-21-2009 08:47 PM

I've always found camo to be helpful. Even more so when the snow hits, because then people are still used to shooting at bushes... not the snowbank with a boomstick poking out of it.:gunsfiring:

O CAB05 12-21-2009 09:10 PM

Haha. I wouldn't suggest wearing bright orange in the woods...Imagine. you run down the field and theres a guy wearing bright orange or a guy wearing camoflauge. What do you think you'll see faster? A brighter color, esp white will catch your eye easily. While a guy wearing a greenish color can win a split second reaction if you ran past him, because you wouldn't notice him as fast. It's common sense, but still. I think wearing black is the best for woods.

splattttttt 12-21-2009 09:30 PM

It's only good until you're detected. Once I'm able to distinguish you from vegetation, I won't loose you like it's happened to MAr.
Camo is better than bright colors though.

Festa 12-21-2009 09:31 PM

It is all contextual. Does it help to try and blend in with your surroundings when you're not moving? Absolutely. Is it critical? Not really. My jersey has bright yellow chickens on the front and back and I still can manage to get the drop on people simply by being sneaky and staying behind cover. The human eye easily pick up things that move laterally compared to directly at the viewer and is great at picking up patterns. Know what is behind you and try not to present an easily identifiable silhouette. Try to be aware of what you look like to your target. I think you'll find that simply changing how you play can increase your stealth more than changing your clothes will.

p-bpat 12-21-2009 09:41 PM

Let me tell you, it will not make a difference what you are wearing when your in full sprint down the center of the field hollering, and waving a bright red flag (and you have a rubber duck glued to your hopper).