mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Bob Long (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/bob-long/)
-   -   Bob Long Closer EXP (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/bob-long/115066-bob-long-closer-exp.html)

sdawg 04-05-2010 10:18 PM

Bob Long Closer EXP

ANS has a special on these guns right now. Any opinions on the Closer EXP?

Cocker 04-05-2010 11:20 PM

very little maintenance

consistent shooting

use only dow55

you will need a pressure tester

recommended upgrade: barrel, update the board and supercharged engine

sdawg 04-05-2010 11:44 PM

It comes with something called a Proficiency valve. Is that different from the "supercharged engine" ?

If the pressure tester is absolutely necessary, why doesn't it come with one?

noctem89 04-05-2010 11:52 PM

profficiancy engine is the previous edition of the supercharged engine. Its not necissary to get it supercharged, but the gun will be more consistant and smoother. Its essentially the engine of the victory retrofitted on older marqs

pressure tester sadly is kinda necissary. With the way marqs are set up (probably preaching to the choir here but here it is again) if the pressures are off, you get massive leaks. The victorys come with a pressure tester, older marqs dont, since they aren't technically made anymore

the board will be updated if you buy it nib, depending on how long its been sitting on the shelves.

Also, the trigger is a double claw. Some like it, I myself dont

sdawg 04-06-2010 12:03 AM

Would I really notice the difference between the "proficiency engine" and the "supercharged" engine?

noctem89 04-06-2010 12:20 AM

that I cant tell ya. All I know is I had a gen1 vic (proficiancy engine), and it shot smoother than my egos (cept my 10), and had so much more efficiancy. On my ego, I could get about 10-11 pods on my 68, my vic could get about 15 on the same tank

supposedly, you could get upwards of 17 pods on a full 68 fill with a supercharged engine (almost a case)

sdawg 04-06-2010 08:58 AM

What does " shooting smoothly" mean, exactly? Less vibration?

fivestring 04-06-2010 09:16 AM

I think shooting "smoothly" refers to the kick of the gun. I shot a closer w/ the proficiency engine along side my stock Vice. There was a major difference in the kick of the guns. The Closer basically did not move at all when being shot. If I could afford one and/or had the need for one I'd pick up a closer.

BTY the ANS price is still high, you can pick up a used Closer w/ the PE for around the $500 mark IIRC.

sdawg 04-06-2010 09:19 AM

I know I could spend less money buying used, but I don't want a used gun that could end up having problems. If I'm spending that kind of money for a "tournament" gun, I'm going to buy brand new and under warranty.

The Marq series guns are heavier, so I would think that explains the reduced "kick" compared to the lighter Vice.

fivestring 04-06-2010 03:18 PM

Indeed the weight is a factor. The inline poppit design used in the Marq series has alot to do w/ it too. There is no ram per-se (not sure how to spell that) in the Marq series so that makes a difference too.

Also, I completly understand the desire for a new gun. I purchased my Vice new. It was a dream marker.