mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Has anyone had an HPA tank fail at their field? (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/195071-has-anyone-had-hpa-tank-fail-their-field.html)

letstryscience 03-09-2012 03:32 AM

Has anyone had an HPA tank fail at their field?

I notice that most fields I go to use self fill stations and don't check hydro dates. I have played for 11 years and never seen an HPA tank fail in any way. When my tanks get a few months out of hydro I want to get them tested just to feel better. I worked at a fire protection company that did hydro and one of the old timers said he had never seen a paintball tank fail testing (besides physical damage to the carbon which automatically failed them), only fire extinguishers and bulk tanks.

Has anyone had a tank fail at their field? :confused:

ApoC_101 03-09-2012 03:37 AM

I've heard of a steely 3k tank exploding, but fiber and aluminum tanks, seriously doubt it's possible considering how the tanks are rated.

heinous 03-09-2012 03:42 AM

the explosions i hear about are only from idiots who oil their tanks.

but a responsible field should check hydro regardless.

alpha434 03-09-2012 04:09 AM

Yes. I've had a fiber tank split.

It's loud.

Hydro dates are for DOT certification. If you're not taking a pressurized tank out on the highway, a visual inspection is your best friend...

In fact, forget the false sense of security that a DOT certification gives you, and ALWAYS give that tank a critical visual inspection.

caplucky 03-09-2012 05:15 AM

Never seen a tank fail, regs.. oh yes. Visual inspection is a must with the fiber ones, my local field is pretty strict on checking the hydro dates. And knowing the abuse a tank can take on the field whether playing or being thrown down by a unhappy player due to marker malfunction or dare I say getting shot out by a noob :) I think that at least a test every few years is a must. We are lucky enough to have a place in town that hydros them for under $15 so isn't to big a deal every couple of years. Does that test mean the tanks safe for those few years, nope. Take that fancy cover off and check it while cleaning your gear is you best bet like alpha says.

Hobbez 03-09-2012 08:18 AM

Closest I've seen is when a younger player couldnt get his rental tank out of his gun. This burly ref grabbed the tank and started twisting like crazy. Well, he was turning the reg out, not the tank. When he got it threaded most of the way out, BOOM! Peeled back the neck of the tank like a banana. It was a miracle that noone was hurt.

Doubledutch 03-09-2012 09:29 AM

I did that once, unscrewed the reg thinking I was unscrewing the tank. Luckily the reg had a safety hole, and it started venting halfway through, so no one got hurt.

RatFink 03-09-2012 09:41 AM

Hydro testing always scares me. Think of this: aluminum and carbon and resin have relatively low fatigue resistance: IE. they don't spring back real well. So to make sure your tank is safe for the next three to five years, they stress the s**t out of it and then return it to you. The tanks only have a 15 year life as it is and are very overbuilt. Just something to think about.

DashHopes 03-09-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatFink (Post 2249190)
Hydro testing always scares me. Think of this: aluminum and carbon and resin have relatively low fatigue resistance: IE. they don't spring back real well. So to make sure your tank is safe for the next three to five years, they stress the s**t out of it and then return it to you. The tanks only have a 15 year life as it is and are very overbuilt. Just something to think about.

Ive always had this same thought and feeling.

Chappy 03-09-2012 10:12 AM

Heard a steely split at wannaplay a couple years back. Tank itself failed. Man, that was loud.