mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Apparently I'm Red-Green Color Blind... (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/212832-apparently-im-red-green-color-blind.html)

2SIC4U 09-05-2012 11:50 PM

Apparently I'm Red-Green Color Blind...

Hey guys, today I had a medical physical done for AFROTC and found out I am red-green color blind. It kinda bewildered me because I thought I always saw things normal colored my whole life. Is anyone else here red-green color blind?

Here is a link to a sample test:
Ishihara Test for Color Blindness

So yea, I wonder how this is going to affect my possible USAF career opportunity. I know I can't be a pilot, but I didn't want to be one anyway. I'm wanting to be a Space and Missiles Operations Officer if I joined the USAF:

Space and Missile Operations Officer - airforce.com

On a side note, this news is also weird because I am a senior in college studying Graphic Design (basically computer art for anyone who doesn't know).

alpha434 09-05-2012 11:57 PM

In paintball, we call that "weak against camouflage".

matteekay 09-06-2012 12:06 AM

In UI design, we call that "a pain in the ***".

:D

Red/green is THE most common - something like 20% of all males if I remember right. Sucks but, as you've pointed out, doesn't really impact you too much. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the military's stance, though. Good luck!

tymcneer 09-06-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha434 (Post 2466049)
In paintball, we call that "weak against camouflage".

Actually, I see camoflage better than most... The color of camo is "wrong" against the surrounding background. May as well be wearing hunters orange with me...

If you want to see camo that works against red/green color blindness, check out the Marine Marpat. That stuff may as well be an invisibility cloak, according to my eyes...

Oh, and yes, I am red/green colorblind.

Or... All of you all see these colors that really don't exist ;)

Ty

2SIC4U 09-06-2012 12:27 AM

^ i like this guy lol

tymcneer 09-06-2012 12:41 AM

Test the theory out. You will find the the green in camoflage is "wrong"... Not being able to tell the difference between hue/tone/saturation/whatever... I would suggest that it is not the right "shade" but not necessarily a color thing, more like it doesn't blend in properly.

Ty

Fatalis 09-06-2012 12:43 AM

That's why they make color blind people " POINT MEN "! :)

tymcneer 09-06-2012 12:48 AM

Yep... Except in my case, they like me to find the fools in gilly suits :)

Ty

2SIC4U 09-06-2012 12:50 AM

wouldnt it be easier though since they would be a solid blob of one color to you?

tymcneer 09-06-2012 12:52 AM

No... I see variations like everyone else, but my eyes don't have the correct receptors, so the signals get kinda mixed up. I see colors no one else can/does...

Watching the grass blow iin the wind sometimes causes it to shift from red to green to red and keep repeating itself. Makes my acid using friends jealous ;)

Ty