mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   New To The Sport (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/)
-   -   Reunited at a crossroad. (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/283852-reunited-crossroad.html)

Sredman0909 02-01-2016 09:54 PM

Reunited at a crossroad.
 
So, I played this lovely game for about 5 years before having children and life taking over. Getting back into the sport and I'm stumped on what marker I want. I used to play with a Phantom VSC but I don't think I want to go stock class because I don't want to mess with 12 grams and reloading times. I love the feel of a good pump cocker but I loved, really truly loved my phantom. I was also entertaining the though of picking up an auto or micro mag. Really at this point I just want to grab suggestions/reasons on why you guys and gals use the markers you use and what the sport means to you so I can get a feel for what I want.
Let the chaos begin!
Also thanks ahead of time for all the feedback, I used to frequent this site and I absolutely respect the comrodery here.

jellyghost 02-01-2016 10:28 PM

I probably shouldn't post because you already know quite a bit about phantoms and the nelson style markers. I am in love with them, and I can't get away from them. The simplicity, the single tube, the versatility...
I would spend about 300 on a used phantom, an open class feed, the new under-cocking kit, and rig it up with a 4oz tank or hpa. Spend another $15 to get the green mcb membership. It is totally worth it.

Sredman0909 02-01-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellyghost (Post 3231596)
I probably shouldn't post because you already know quite a bit about phantoms and the nelson style markers. I am in love with them, and I can't get away from them. The simplicity, the single tube, the versatility...
I would spend about 300 on a used phantom, an open class feed, the new under-cocking kit, and rig it up with a 4oz tank or hpa. Spend another $15 to get the green mcb membership. It is totally worth it.

I've been contemplating this setup myself. Getting a little 50 round hopper and going to town. I'm going to have to hunt for the right deal because 300 is getting up into the gall of my price range.

ProtoNY 02-01-2016 10:46 PM

I find myself in a similar situation to you. I started playing in either '90 or '91, and played regularly for a while. Sometime, about ten years ago, I just reached the point where the combination of the time I needed to dedicate to furthering my career, plus the change in the sport, itself, left me at the point that I was ready to hang it up. At the time, I figured it was for good, and I rarely thought about it, nor did I have an urge to go back and play.

A few months ago, I was cleaning out the garage, and I came across a box of what gear I had left. Mostly, some Spyders, and a bunch of parts. Having some family members that were around the age that I was when I started, I figured that I would get them tuned up and just give those Spyders away. What I did not expect, though, is how their excitement was contagious. Found myself wanting to get back into the game again, and I have immersed myself rather quickly.

My first inclination was that I wanted to keep up with everyone, so I looked at electro. My anniversary is coming up, and I asked my wife for an early present. I got that present, which is a PE Eclipse Etek 5. It does what it is intended for. It is mid-priced, requires little extra, and is able to keep up with most of what is out there. Little good that does me, though, because I just cannot bring myself to just lay paint on anything that moves (or doesn't move, for that matter). After a couple of times out with it, I found myself looking for "less gun". While I have no immediate plans to get rid of it, I have actually found it to be my "loaner".

Searching around, I did find that the Empire Sniper was sounding like it was more up my alley, and I knew someone who had one. He let me take it out for the weekend, and it just "felt right", for lack of a better word. It is not anything fancy, but it fit me better, in terms of being a marker that I could simply associate with. Searched around, and found a brand new one that had no barrels and no stock feed, for just under $300. That worked for me, as I already had a Freak kit, a couple of backs, and a couple of fronts.

Now, just like back when I started, I find myself just wanting "more". Not more firepower, or more features, or more anything that is tangible. I just want more options. That has me hunting down some of the markers that were high-end when I started. Sheridans, Brass Eagle (when they actually remembered what metal and wood were used for), etc. Now, within a few short months, I have gone from having no markers, to having six. Two of them are in working order and ready to play (the Etek and the Sniper), and the other four are in various states of restoration.

I am not kidding myself. I know that I walked away from this all at the age that I could continue to be more competitive, and that I really do not have as much time that my body will let me play, as have passed from when I first played. Not that I am really old - closing in on 40, this year - but there are more creaks, groans, pops, and snaps than I remember and I simply do no recover as quickly as I once did. But, I am damned determined on enjoy this as much as I can. Plus, I have already determined that when I cannot play, if there is still a sport to be had, I'll find comfort in talking about the "olden days" with people on here, while I collect and restore all of the markers I never thought I would have when I was a teenager.

Realistically, I cannot venture at if it would be the same for you. However, you do mention AutoMags and MiniMags. They are still easily attainable (as are the parts) and are just built like a tank. You will have no problem getting one on here, or online, and it would be a good way to get back into the game, in my opinion.

Welcome back! Although, I have hardly been here long enough to be in a position to say that. :p

Slappadapink 02-01-2016 10:48 PM

Welcome back bro.

The pros of stock class can out weigh the cons of reloads and 12 grams. Huge savings on paint because you're limited by the feed tube. Also you gain a lot of skill playing that way as I'm sure you know from your past experience. If you hate 12 grams go modified and put a tank on there and call it a day. If you're already cool with nelsons and the phantom in particular then your halfway there to being a happy successful player. Also the phantom is bullet proof. So reliable I don't think they can break even if you try.

Welcome back bro and all the best

Deuce 02-01-2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoNY (Post 3231606)
I find myself in a similar situation to you. I started playing in either '90 or '91, and played regularly for a while. Sometime, about ten years ago, I just reached the point where the combination of the time I needed to dedicate to furthering my career, plus the change in the sport, itself, left me at the point that I was ready to hang it up. At the time, I figured it was for good, and I rarely thought about it, nor did I have an urge to go back and play.

A few months ago, I was cleaning out the garage, and I came across a box of what gear I had left. Mostly, some Spyders, and a bunch of parts. Having some family members that were around the age that I was when I started, I figured that I would get them tuned up and just give those Spyders away. What I did not expect, though, is how their excitement was contagious. Found myself wanting to get back into the game again, and I have immersed myself rather quickly.

My first inclination was that I wanted to keep up with everyone, so I looked at electro. My anniversary is coming up, and I asked my wife for an early present. I got that present, which is a PE Eclipse Etek 5. It does what it is intended for. It is mid-priced, requires little extra, and is able to keep up with most of what is out there. Little good that does me, though, because I just cannot bring myself to just lay paint on anything that moves (or doesn't move, for that matter). After a couple of times out with it, I found myself looking for "less gun". While I have no immediate plans to get rid of it, I have actually found it to be my "loaner".

Searching around, I did find that the Empire Sniper was sounding like it was more up my alley, and I knew someone who had one. He let me take it out for the weekend, and it just "felt right", for lack of a better word. It is not anything fancy, but it fit me better, in terms of being a marker that I could simply associate with. Searched around, and found a brand new one that had no barrels and no stock feed, for just under $300. That worked for me, as I already had a Freak kit, a couple of backs, and a couple of fronts.

Now, just like back when I started, I find myself just wanting "more". Not more firepower, or more features, or more anything that is tangible. I just want more options. That has me hunting down some of the markers that were high-end when I started. Sheridans, Brass Eagle (when they actually remembered what metal and wood were used for), etc. Now, within a few short months, I have gone from having no markers, to having six. Two of them are in working order and ready to play (the Etek and the Sniper), and the other four are in various states of restoration.

I am not kidding myself. I know that I walked away from this all at the age that I could continue to be more competitive, and that I really do not have as much time that my body will let me play, as have passed from when I first played. Not that I am really old - closing in on 40, this year - but there are more creaks, groans, pops, and snaps than I remember and I simply do no recover as quickly as I once did. But, I am damned determined on enjoy this as much as I can. Plus, I have already determined that when I cannot play, if there is still a sport to be had, I'll find comfort in talking about the "olden days" with people on here, while I collect and restore all of the markers I never thought I would have when I was a teenager.

Realistically, I cannot venture at if it would be the same for you. However, you do mention AutoMags and MiniMags. They are still easily attainable (as are the parts) and are just built like a tank. You will have no problem getting one on here, or online, and it would be a good way to get back into the game, in my opinion.

Welcome back! Although, I have hardly been here long enough to be in a position to say that. :p

I think many of us have been there, some on more than one occasion. Welcome back.

jellyghost 02-01-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sredman0909 (Post 3231603)
I've been contemplating this setup myself. Getting a little 50 round hopper and going to town. I'm going to have to hunt for the right deal because 300 is getting up into the gall of my price range.

I think for 200 you could get an open class phantom and a 4oz tank. 50rd hoppers are super cheap. For 300, you could have anything but the most rare phantoms. And when budgeting is an issue, phantoms are a great choice for saving on paint, and you get your money back whenever you sell it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoNY (Post 3231606)
Not that I am really old - closing in on 40, this year - but there are more creaks, groans, pops, and snaps than I remember and I simply do no recover as quickly as I once did. But, I am damned determined on enjoy this as much as I can. Plus, I have already determined that when I cannot play, if there is still a sport to be had, I'll find comfort in talking about the "olden days" with people on here, while I collect and restore all of the markers I never thought I would have when I was a teenager.

I started playing at about 35, and I am turning 40 this year. When I was young, paintball was just too expensive. Now I have three young kids and almost zero time, but I bargain for about half a day a month. I miss some months, and MCB tides me over between playing.

Sredman0909 02-01-2016 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoNY (Post 3231606)
A few months ago, I was cleaning out the garage, and I came across a box of what gear I had left. Mostly, some Spyders, and a bunch of parts. Having some family members that were around the age that I was when I started, I figured that I would get them tuned up and just give those Spyders away. What I did not expect, though, is how their excitement was contagious. Found myself wanting to get back into the game again, and I have immersed myself rather quickly.

I was asked if I wanted to go to a team building event at a local park here in the Lou a couple weeks ago. We went out to the park and we got these lovely little BT-4's and some really ugly paint. It made me crave the game and an actual marker that has had some love put into it. I used to be a cocker hobbyist before making the stock class switch. Everything feels so foreign now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slappadapink (Post 3231608)
Welcome back bro.

The pros of stock class can out weigh the cons of reloads and 12 grams. Huge savings on paint because you're limited by the feed tube. Also you gain a lot of skill playing that way as I'm sure you know from your past experience. If you hate 12 grams go modified and put a tank on there and call it a day. If you're already cool with nelsons and the phantom in particular then your halfway there to being a happy successful player. Also the phantom is bullet proof. So reliable I don't think they can break even if you try.

Welcome back bro and all the best

I have this feeling that I'm going to end up with a setup similar to this. My biggest fear is that I end up not having partners to play with and the sport dies out again. lets hope this doesn't happen.

Un2xs 02-02-2016 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sredman0909 (Post 3231635)
I have this feeling that I'm going to end up with a setup similar to this. My biggest fear is that I end up not having partners to play with and the sport dies out again. lets hope this doesn't happen.

How can you even suggest that with ICD returning to the light from a long wait in the shadows?

big jim 02-02-2016 01:44 AM

First, Welcome back you two you will enjoy the ride. There are plenty on here in the St Louis area for Sredman to hook up with so that won't be a problem.

Secondly and more importantly...HANG ON TO YOUR WALLET! We like to pass things around here and I have been told that wives would almost prefer you searching porn to going to "That Site" again. :ROTFL:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC