mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Found out today that I need a kidney transplant... (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/312995-found-out-today-i-need-kidney-transplant.html)

DirtyLoincloth 07-19-2018 07:51 PM

Found out today that I need a kidney transplant...

Long story, short version - I've been a Type 1 diabetic since the age of 3, and 35 years of insulin dependent diabetes has finally caught up with me. After some recent lab work, some extremely elevated createnin levels, my kidney Dr informed me today that I need to start dialysis immediately and get on a list for a kidney transplant. There is a positive twist though. When a diabetic gets a kidney transplant, they also do a pancreas transplant, which eliminates the diabetes, making a much more successful kidney transplant.

I will then no longer be an insulin dependent diabetic.

I'm still kind of in shock over the whole revelation. Dialysis is nasty, but I guess we'll see how bad it is when I go get educated about it all tomorrow. The thought of not being diabetic anymore is very surreal.

punkncat 07-19-2018 07:57 PM

You understand that dialysis is a horror, and being on a transplant list doesn't just mean you are getting a new kidney, right?

One of my good friends died while on dialysis, waiting on a kidney. I hope you are looking at this with the seriousness it entails. This isn't some free ride off diabetes,

COB 07-19-2018 07:57 PM

Good luck and hope you get a match quickly.

pbyrne233 07-19-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkncat (Post 3503224)
You understand that dialysis is a horror, and being on a transplant list doesn't just mean you are getting a new kidney, right?

One of my good friends died while on dialysis, waiting on a kidney. I hope you are looking at this with the seriousness it entails. This isn't some free ride off diabetes,

He could be just looking at the positives of a hard situation. Maybe ease back a bit, yeah?

maggot 07-19-2018 08:10 PM

Sounds like a really tough road you have ahead, but you absolutely have the right attitude about it.
Don't let downers like punkncat get into your head.

paintzapper 07-19-2018 08:10 PM

From my understanding, dialysis is a bit rough on your body. My grandfather needed it twice a week or more, whenever I went to pick him up he was always exhausted. Take it easy afterwards and eat well, you should be no worse off then someone donating double red blood cells.

I suggest bring an audiobook or something to listen to during the procedure.

Much luck to ya buddy! I bet having this option to be insulin free is a wondrous thing, hope you get your new parts soon!

Axel 07-19-2018 08:31 PM

Here's to getting healthy

DirtyLoincloth 07-19-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkncat (Post 3503224)

I didn't ask for you to come piss in my Cheerios, so please, in the kindest of ways, **** off. If you don't think I've had to run this nightmare through my head over and over the last five hours or so, you are sorely mistaken.

I have to try and make light of this and be positive, and I'm currently doing the best I can, so if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything. Period.

GanonsGrin 07-19-2018 08:49 PM

Sorry to hear the news, but you definitely sound like you are staying strong and keeping your head pretty clear through all of this. Remember to keep your chin up and reach out to anyone that will help you through, which I would assume is most anyone on here(minus one of us most likely).

Take care, and if you need anything at all then I will gladly offer with any help that I can. You’ve been fun to chat with over the past couple of years!

The Flounder 07-19-2018 08:54 PM

Where has kidneythief been anyway?

Un2xs 07-19-2018 09:15 PM

Be sure to do all you can to help out with this. An acquaintance of mine has bad kidneys. He has altered his lifestyle a little. His kidney related numbers are stabilised... and even slightly better than previously. He is on the list and hoping he will not have to do dialysis. (I hope i have that right.)

Best wishes for a good outcome.

Bigtuana 07-19-2018 09:40 PM

“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

I have no answers for you here, just support. I fare thee well in this storm, friend.

Third of Five 07-19-2018 10:01 PM

Thanks for sharing this very personal thing with us, your family. Because that's what we are, your distant, local, screwed up, MCB family. We only want good things for you and you should know that your fears are ours, your pain is also ours. We signed on for good and bad, so reach out if or when you need us...

Third of Five 07-19-2018 10:06 PM

Follow up post : Sign your donor card. DO IT dang it.

FreeEnterprise 07-19-2018 10:09 PM

Wow, getting rid of dealing with insulin will be nice! Good luck! Just take it one day at a time, and look forward to things getting better.

I've been an organ donor since I was a teenager. Everyone reading this should do that as it saves people everyday!

Axel 07-19-2018 10:10 PM

I signed the card but my organs come with a warning label and a liability disclaimer

Third of Five 07-19-2018 10:14 PM

Not sure I'd want Axel's organs... mine are mostly ok, but the liver needs some help...

Dougefreshe 07-19-2018 10:22 PM

Will be praying for you.

Mar 07-19-2018 10:47 PM

I don't know what the right words are. I want to tell you that we love you, even though you are a Dirtyloincloth. We care about you, and we're gonna be here for you during this. One love bro.

edit: this post would come off better if I had a different avatar...

Painthappy 07-19-2018 10:53 PM

Best of luck man!!! Here's to hoping for a smooth ride soon!

killerito 07-19-2018 11:04 PM

Best of luck man. You definetly have the right attitude. It will take a lot out of you. But good friends and family make it a whole lot better.

SirKFCzalot 07-19-2018 11:22 PM

Best of luck with the whole procedure man, I really hope that it ends up being the best of outcomes for you. We'll all be here waving our invisible MCB support signs, with someone conveniently blocking Mar's genitals from view since he thought "invisible support sign" was the dress code.:dancingb::rolleyes:

respiegel 07-19-2018 11:39 PM

The old man is on peritoneal dialysis and is doing great with it, other than the mountain of stuff you've got to keep at the house it is nice to not have to go to the clinic.
Speaking as someone who almost died due to faulty organs, it will be ok. You'll get through this as long as you do your labs, go the the doctor, and take care of yourself. The hardest thing to fight off is the depression and hopelessness.

Buck 07-19-2018 11:42 PM

Best of luck. I hope everything goes well and you will be happy and healthy in no time!

hellion360 07-19-2018 11:49 PM

My good friend has been on dialysis for years. He has had issues that have prevented him from getting a new kidney a couple times

He is the toughest sob I know. It is incredible what you can accomplish and endure if you set your mind to it. Stay positive brother, even when it is hard!

russc 07-20-2018 01:46 AM

Sorry to hear. You got this.

foldadoom 07-20-2018 04:42 AM

well if you need any advice hit me up...its what I do..

Greenmtnphantom 07-20-2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third of Five (Post 3503260)
We only want good things for you and you should know that your fears are ours, your pain is also ours. We signed on for good and bad, so reach out if or when you need us...

Until you are healthy at least. Then we are going to laugh at you after shooting you in the face. :)

No getting around it. This is a hard time for you. Here is hoping it's a short time before things start getting better.

DPrekel 07-20-2018 08:18 AM

Keep fighting and listen to the doctors, ask all the questions you can think of. They can be *** wipes, but they have the info. We are all praying, sending good mojo and happy thoughts your way. (well, most of us anyways, and F the rest of them). Keep talking, we will listen.

CrazyBoy78 07-20-2018 09:00 AM

Beaming some good vibes your way, duder. Do your best to keep your mindset positive and surround yourself with supportive people in your life. Times will be tough, but I like to see these things as personal challenges to beat. Keep on, keepin' on and you'll be ok.

ProtoNY 07-20-2018 09:35 AM

I have two family members who have had transplants and you share both of their traits, which was a positive outlook and a will to persevere. Perspective really does make a difference, and you definitely have that nailed. Keep pushing that negativity away from you, and you will get through it with the support of those around you!

Moose 07-20-2018 11:33 AM

Keep a positive attitude as you move forward!

I will be going on the liver transplant list at Emory in Atlanta soon. Which transplant center are you working with?

Rainmaker 07-20-2018 11:38 AM

Prayers going out to you, good sir!

tymcneer 07-20-2018 11:44 AM

Weather this storm and come out stronger on the other side.

When I signed my donor card, one of my SciFi friends was around (Had to drive me to the driving test... lapsed license) He looked at me, and with a perfect deadpan expression... He said... "Great! Now I have to build a monster when you die, so I can transplant your abby normal brain"

Ty

Greenmtnphantom 07-20-2018 02:23 PM

Saw this today, figured it couldn't hurt to try and make you laugh.

https://media.trillian.im/media/?m=a...LmS4GDMRskM%3D

DirtyLoincloth 07-20-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 3503441)
Keep a positive attitude as you move forward!

I will be going on the liver transplant list at Emory in Atlanta soon. Which transplant center are you working with?

University Hospital at Anshutz, which is local to my general metro Denver location.

DirtyLoincloth 07-20-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom (Post 3503486)
Saw this today, figured it couldn't hurt to try and make you laugh.

https://media.trillian.im/media/?m=a...LmS4GDMRskM%3D

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Alive 07-20-2018 07:31 PM

If you need an ear for anything, I'm an excellent listener.

You got this.

chrislognshot 07-20-2018 08:57 PM

good luck and hope all goes better for you.

gainman 07-20-2018 10:09 PM

You'll be fine. Take a couple motrin and drink some water.