mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   3D Printing (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/3d-printing/)
-   -   What filament are you using? (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/3d-printing/313312-what-filament-you-using.html)

Rainmaker 07-31-2018 09:14 AM

What filament are you using?

Share what filaments you are using or have used, success or failure.

My favorites:
- 3D Solutech PLA, black, printing at 206 C. This is pretty much my go to. It's cheap, easy to print, made in the US, and gives a bit more of a matte sheen.
- Overture3d.com PETG, Black. Printing at 235C and 70C bed. Great prints with minimal stringing.

Other good ones:
- eSun PETG, black, printing at 235C and 75C bed temp. Used to be my go-to filament, but have had more stringing lately.
- SainSmart TPU, neon green, printing at 225C and 65C bed. Pretty flexible, and feeds find in my bowden setup.
- Hatchbox PLA, various colors. This is my other go to, but more expensive than Solutech.
- Dazzle Light PLA, grey. Also has a nice matte sheen.
- AIO robotics PLA, neon green.
- TIANSE PLA, white. Also have tried orange, which prints great but it's a funky shade/sheen of orange.

OK, but not great:
- Tritechnox. Hard to get printing right, but had great colors. Company defunct now anyway.
- SUNLU PETG, orange. I just couldn't get this stuff to print well, stringy and poor bed adhesion every few prints, YMMV.

Bad:
(none so far for me)

tymcneer 07-31-2018 09:51 AM

Currently loaded:
- ZYLTech PLA - Orange - I have been messing with the settings.. At first it was printing very poorly. Creating "spongy" prints. I turned the temperature from 200c to 215c and some of the issues went away, but the under extrusion kinda still existed. I then turned the Flow up to 115 and things seem much better. I also measured the filament, and it is 1.73 to 1.74mm dia. :/ I suppose I should go and create a material preset for this filament.

Previous filaments:
- ZYLTech PLA - Black - 200c hot end, 60c bed. This stuff printed like a charm! I ordered the orange, above, thinking it was the identical filament... I was WRONG!

I have some SUNLU TPU to test, along with more PLA by ZYLTech, and some ZYLTech PETG, too

Ty

travis1581 07-31-2018 09:57 AM

I have only used SUNLU PLA+ in black. It prints beautifully at 200C with a 60C bed temp. However, it is the only stuff I have used so I have nothing to compare it to.

freedummy 07-31-2018 10:41 AM

I've been printing the house brands of Filaments.ca and Spool3d.ca PETG, 230 hotend and 80 bed.

Filaflex TPU at 230 and 60 bed.

EDIT: Update, had messed up the temps

Both print beautifully. Minor stringing, which is the only downside to these two materials but very minor, and more retraction is only likely to lead to jamming so I'm happy with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tymcneer (Post 3506602)
I ordered the orange, above, thinking it was the identical filament... I was WRONG!

Totally experienced this before. Batch to batch, filament diameter can vary but also the pigments between different color can affect ideal print temperature.

JonM 07-31-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedummy (Post 3506612)
I've been printing the house brands of Filaments.ca and Spool3d.ca PETG, 230 hotend and 80 bed.

Which slicer are you using? I've had nothing but trouble with PETG lately. In fact, I had to tear apart my hot end last night to clear a nasty jam. When it does print, I get so much stringing. I've played with travel speeds, retraction, temperatures, fan speeds and I forget what else. Care to share your settings?

freedummy 07-31-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 3506644)
Which slicer are you using? I've had nothing but trouble with PETG lately. In fact, I had to tear apart my hot end last night to clear a nasty jam. When it does print, I get so much stringing. I've played with travel speeds, retraction, temperatures, fan speeds and I forget what else. Care to share your settings?

I have a Flashforge, Flashprint is their in-house slicer. I struggled with others (in general, not filament-specific issues), but this works great with my Creator Pro. For PETG, I'm just using a slightly modified PLA profile - edited only the temperature and extrusion multiplier. I'll grab a screenshot of the settings when I get home for more detail.

I do cold-pulls with nylon to clean my nozzle every time I change filaments, have foam-filters on every roll to keep dust out of the hotend, and the all-metal hotend upgrade from Microswiss. Every roll is kept in a Ziploc with desiccant packs. If a roll lasts more than a couple months, I dehydrate them in the oven for a few hours. Less of a concern with PETG, but critical for filament like nylon which needs it prior to every use. Print on borosilicate glass with purple Elmer's gluestick, most parts pop off on their own when the bed cools. If the glue has sat for more than a day, I give it a spray with some Isopropyl alchohol to reactivate it. Very rarely have to reapply, only when enough of the glue has transferred away with prints to reveal bare glass.

JonM 07-31-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedummy (Post 3506652)
I have a Flashforge, Flashprint is their in-house slicer. I struggled with others (in general, not filament-specific issues), but this works great with my Creator Pro. For PETG, I'm just using a slightly modified PLA profile - edited only the temperature and extrusion multiplier. I'll grab a screenshot of the settings when I get home for more detail.

I do cold-pulls with nylon to clean my nozzle every time I change filaments, have foam-filters on every roll to keep dust out of the hotend, and the all-metal hotend upgrade from Microswiss. Every roll is kept in a Ziploc with desiccant packs. If a roll lasts more than a couple months, I dehydrate them in the oven for a few hours. Less of a concern with PETG, but critical for filament like nylon which needs it prior to every use. Print on borosilicate glass with purple Elmer's gluestick, most parts pop off on their own when the bed cools. If the glue has sat for more than a day, I give it a spray with some Isopropyl alchohol to reactivate it. Very rarely have to reapply, only when enough of the glue has transferred away with prints to reveal bare glass.

Thanks a lot. I'm printing on glass with glue stick as well. Reactivating it with alcohol is a good idea too. I've been cleaning my glass and applying a fresh coat up until now. All of my rolls are stored in Ziploc bags with desiccant packs. This is especially important since my setup is in the basement. I also have a dehumidifier running down there. If I need to start printing hot again, I'll look into an all metal hot end. I've already replaced the plastic extruder with an all metal one. That definitely seems to help with more flexible filament.

freedummy 08-02-2018 02:15 AM

Nozzle temp: 230
Platform: 80
Print speed: 60mm/s
Travel speed: 80mm/s
First layer speed: 20mm/s
Retraction:1.5mm
Retraction speed: 50mm/s
Extrusion ratio: 99%
No cooling, no enclosure (PETG doesn't like active cooling, I just leave the doors open on my machine)

There's nothing else specific I do to print PETG. All the other settings are otherwise default PLA profile, and the rest are all either machine specific or supports stuff. Dunno if that helps or not, there's no denying some machines just work better with certain materials than others. Mine has a direct drive extruder, so less retraction is needed, it's very immediate, and I get less stringing by default because of it.

Rainmaker 08-02-2018 06:41 AM

What filament are you using?

Freedummy - what surface area you printing that PETG on?

Against my better judgement, I'm trying PETG again, haha! I'm trying your settings Freedummy, and printing on blue painters tape,lightly sanded. So far the first layers are OK! Leaving for work though, so we'll see if I come home to a blob...

JonM 08-02-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedummy (Post 3507144)
Nozzle temp: 230
Platform: 80
Print speed: 60mm/s
Travel speed: 80mm/s
First layer speed: 20mm/s
Retraction:1.5mm
Retraction speed: 50mm/s
Extrusion ratio: 99%
No cooling, no enclosure (PETG doesn't like active cooling, I just leave the doors open on my machine)

There's nothing else specific I do to print PETG. All the other settings are otherwise default PLA profile, and the rest are all either machine specific or supports stuff. Dunno if that helps or not, there's no denying some machines just work better with certain materials than others. Mine has a direct drive extruder, so less retraction is needed, it's very immediate, and I get less stringing by default because of it.

Thanks! I took your advice yesterday and tried a modified PLA profile. I'm still working out a bed adhesion issue but I think I have it pretty close to dialed in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainmaker (Post 3507165)

Against my better judgement, I'm trying PETG again, haha! I'm trying your settings Freedummy, and printing on blue painters tape,lightly sanded. So far the first layers are OK! Leaving for work though, so we'll see if I come home to a blob...

If you ever decide to get an Octoprint server set up, Install Telegram on your phone and set up a bot (instructions here). Using Telegram, I can send a /status text to the bot for a photo of my print bed along with printer stats. If I see a problem, I can send a /abort text to the bot to kill the print. That's barely scratching the surface of what it can do. This way you can keep an eye on things while you're away and avoid coming home to a plate of spaghetti.

paintzapper 08-02-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 3507178)
If you ever decide to get an Octoprint server set up, Install Telegram on your phone and set up a bot (instructions here). Using Telegram, I can send a /status text to the bot for a photo of my print bed along with printer stats. If I see a problem, I can send a /abort text to the bot to kill the print. That's barely scratching the surface of what it can do. This way you can keep an eye on things while you're away and avoid coming home to a plate of spaghetti.

That is friggen cool! Going to have to remember this one.

freedummy 08-02-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainmaker (Post 3507165)

2nd half of my previous post -
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/3506652-post6.html

JonM 08-02-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintzapper (Post 3507195)
That is friggen cool! Going to have to remember this one.

I thought so too. The alternative is using a mobile app to control Octoprint, but this requires you to open ports in your router to allow outside control. I wasn't too kicked on this option since someone could theoretically gain control of the printer and crank up temperatures to dangerous levels. The Telegram bot is just as useful, a lot safer, but just not as feature rich.

Rainmaker 08-03-2018 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally getting consistent prints with PETG. Woke up to see this sweetness on my bed...
Attachment 63878
What ended up working for me was 230C, on blue tape, lightly sanded, with glue stick, combing off, coasting off, reaction 1.5mm @ 45mm/s, flow 98%, first layer line width 98%, first layer speed 30mm/s, regular speed 60mm/s, travel 80mm/s. Also I have a fan on my hot end heart sink and one pointed at my print bed - I put fan speed at 100% but disconnected the fan cooling the print, and left the one in the heat sink running full speed (prevent clogs)

JonM 08-03-2018 07:04 AM

Looking great! I'm really happy that these are working well for you and that they're going towards such a good cause.

Rainmaker 08-03-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 3507565)
Looking great! I'm really happy that these are working well for you and that they're going towards such a good cause.

Thanks!! Yeah, I'll share more about it at some point. Excited to have this little guy in our family :)

JonM 08-06-2018 11:07 AM

In case anyone is wondering, Telegram has a desktop client. I'm keeping an eye on my 22 hour long print job from my desk at work. :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/oVIdv6C.jpg

Rainmaker 08-15-2018 09:10 AM

So, I'm not sure what happened, but I loaded my PETG profile up in Cura this morning and started a print, WITHOUT glue stick on the bed... And it worked! Last week, the exact same profile was not sticking to anything: I could get one print out of five to stick somewhat with mondo amounts of glue stick, and even then there were bad spots. But today, the printer gods have smiled upon me. Every single line laid down perfectly on the bed with awesome adhesion. I was just exited and wanted to share, ha ha.

tymcneer 08-15-2018 10:01 AM

Glad to hear it... I seem to have found you lack of adhesion gremlin... The other night I could not get *ANYTHING* to stick to the bed... Glue... No use, Hair spray... no use, cursing the printer gods... no use, though I doubt that one would have helped.

I will toss the bed in the dishwasher for a very hot scrub, and see if maybe some oil/other contaminate has landed on the bed.

Ty

Rainmaker 10-19-2018 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I accidentally posted this in the other thread, meant to put it here. Oh well, now it's in both places :)

Using eSun black PETG from amazon, great results with these settings:
Attachment 65239

lordkyleofearth 10-21-2018 11:44 PM

I've had great luck with Inland, Hatchbox, Zyltech, and priline PETG and PLA. Makergeeks TPEE has been great too (it's a very soft flexible).

If you want real magic, use some Aquanet instead of glue stick. It's made of ozone depleting chemicals and magic.

LT72884 10-31-2018 05:18 PM

I use xyzprinting filament, hatchbox and soon i will be using solutech. I print the hatchbox at 227 and the clearblue xyz at 216. So far my fav is the clear blue

Rainmaker 12-27-2018 12:25 PM

Added a couple to the OP.

Any one printing with a wood filament that they recommend?

Mindless_Chaos 02-04-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travis1581 (Post 3506604)
I have only used SUNLU PLA+ in black. It prints beautifully at 200C with a 60C bed temp. However, it is the only stuff I have used so I have nothing to compare it to.

I hated sunlu. I bought 2 rolls. The package said prints at 230 - 260 and couldn't get a decent print without stringing and blobbing. Went through a roll with iffy prints. Turns out, it prints better at 190-210 which means they use a LOT of glycol. This makes sense because even after I started getting better quality prints, it was mega brittle. Didn't seem like PETG.

They gave me my money back and I just bought 3 rolls of black Amazon basics. t prints where normal PETG should print. 230 - 240. It prints amazing, very little stringing. Very strong. Not brittle. The spool is wound really good. Have had no issues. I am impressed at the amazon stuff...

JonM 04-09-2019 12:10 PM

I don't know if I'm crazy, masochistic or what, but I've decided to dive once more into PETG. I placed an order for a roll of eSun for use with finished versions of my PGP2 mods and other projects I have in mind. I'll start out using Rainmaker's settings from page two and see where that takes me.

lordkyleofearth 04-09-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 3575466)
I don't know if I'm crazy, masochistic or what, but I've decided to dive once more into PETG. I placed an order for a roll of eSun for use with finished versions of my PGP2 mods and other projects I have in mind. I'll start out using Rainmaker's settings from page two and see where that takes me.

I love PETG. I basically just use PLA when I get a good deal on some. I'm sure you'll live it too.

JonM 04-09-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth (Post 3575511)
I love PETG. I basically just use PLA when I get a good deal on some. I'm sure you'll live it too.

I'll find out tomorrow. Amazon Prime had free next day delivery on it. Here's hoping that this brand is better than the garbage I had last time.

lordkyleofearth 04-09-2019 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If not, this stuff printed fantastically for me, was cheap, and had next-day delivery. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PG...mob_b_pd_title

ATTACH]69056[/ATTACH]

JonM 04-10-2019 06:30 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll report back with my results.

blueshifty 04-17-2019 10:24 AM

PLA: Atomic, push or hatchbox - not too fond of the amazon basics stuff
PETG: Atomic & I use atomic CF PETG, inland/ esun
ABS: Atomic or hatchbox
ASA: Fillamentum
Nylon: Taulman Alloy 910 when ridiculous strength is required.

I do think I'm going to switch to atomic almost exclusively because the consistency seems better than average and it's decently priced.

I've never printed ninjaflex or anything like that... I always use a resin printer for those applications.

Resins:
Tough: Siraya Blu & with my form 2 I used primarily the grey pro
Flexible: I have only ever used formlabs here, but will be trying photocentric soon. The formlabs stuff was so good we could print solenoid gaskets that'd seal fine for testing. Dye also started using a small laser cutter to cut temporary seal out of a thin sheet.

lordkyleofearth 04-17-2019 11:04 AM

How do you like the CF PETG? I keep thinking about buying some but haven't really had a specific need that justified it.

JonM 04-17-2019 11:06 AM

So far, I'm really liking the eSun PETG. I've been reprinting everything for my PGP2 project in it with great results. The parts I've printed so far don't make use of many bridges or overhangs, but for solid parts, my modified PLA profile has been working very well. I'll need to play around with settings a bit if I want anything in fine detail though.

Rainmaker 04-17-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 3577955)
So far, I'm really liking the eSun PETG. I've been reprinting everything for my PGP2 project in it with great results. The parts I've printed so far don't make use of many bridges or overhangs, but for solid parts, my modified PLA profile has been working very well. I'll need to play around with settings a bit if I want anything in fine detail though.

I'm enjoying the eSun PETG too, but u still get some stringing. What are your settings for it?

JonM 04-17-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainmaker (Post 3577957)
I'm enjoying the eSun PETG too, but u still get some stringing. What are your settings for it?

I mirrored your settings on page 2.

Rainmaker 04-17-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 3577958)
I mirrored your settings on page 2.

Ah, sweet. Are you getting some stringing then?

blueshifty 04-17-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth (Post 3577953)
How do you like the CF PETG? I keep thinking about buying some but haven't really had a specific need that justified it.

For me, I prefer the way it prints over standard PETG. I use a hercules nozzle: https://www.p3-d.com/collections/dur...truder-nozzles and the finish comes out kind of a satin look, which I prefer over the normal gloss. I think it seems to string a little less too. Honestly, the atomic PETG seems to string a lot less than others, but I get a small little seam with their standard stuff even when I enable coasting. I'm sure it's a slicer thing, but I seldom do prints with cosmetic concerns so it's not that big of a deal to me. The CF comes out amazing almost every time.

I use this printer: https://www.amazon.com/Large-Intelli.../dp/B07JBXVCWG and their customer service is the best I've ever seen. They literally printed my files and then sent me the g-code when I was struggling with a couple parts.

JonM 04-17-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainmaker (Post 3577959)
Ah, sweet. Are you getting some stringing then?

I honestly haven't tried anything that would produce that yet. So far, everything I've printed has been either flat or cylindrical with no bridging or overhangs. Although, the one time I tried printing something with supports mid-model, the supports turned to spaghetti. I suspect I'd need to print cooler with a higher fan speed to get them to stick. Thankfully the supports weren't needed after all, so I didn't screw with the settings any more.

lordkyleofearth 04-17-2019 02:05 PM

PETG is all too happy to self-adhere. Those supports probably failed for some other reason and then air printed as spaghetti. People usually report the opposite issue (they can't get PETG supports to let go).

Rainmaker 08-05-2019 01:25 PM

Adding another one to the list:

- Overture3d.com PETG, Black. Printing at 235C and 70C bed. Great prints with minimal stringing.

JonM 08-14-2019 02:42 PM

I'm expecting delivery of a spool of Hatchbox wood PLA tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what I can do with it.