mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCI (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/)
-   -   Freak boring: worth it? (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/323049-freak-boring-worth.html)

Gabe 07-27-2019 12:17 AM

Freak boring: worth it?

I'm getting ready to send several autococker barrels out for freak boring and just remembered that my trusty old phantom isn't bored for inserts. Now I'm familiar with the benefits of inserts on snipers and 'cockers but not so much on the phantom. So far I've been using the sizer rings with decent success but I'm thinking the gun may be even more accurate with inserts.

Anybody have anything bad to say about their freak bored phantom or is it all positives and I should get it done?

spece108 07-27-2019 01:18 AM

Nothing negative that's for sure. I like it better than detent rings. Tighter paint fit with inserts equals better air efficiency. I like installing a finger detent or freedummy's detents for really tiny paint. Lapco's new Grey Ghost system works really well for that, but near impossible to find. If you've got a batch going out, sounds like a win all round.

atomicleaf 07-27-2019 01:28 AM

Yes it's worth it if you're running 12 grams. The inserts allow you to always get a good underbore which will improve your efficiency. More shots per 12 gram.

TVA 07-27-2019 01:52 AM

Absolutely worth it. The ONLY down side is if you’re boring an older barrel that has an oring groove at the back, the barrel gets awfully thin at that point after the boring. I’ve never had it happen, but it could theoretically snap there

NONOBLITUS 07-27-2019 07:35 AM

Yes, I completely think it's well worth it.

AnarchicArctic 07-27-2019 10:16 AM

^what he said. Either freak bore or a control bore barrel like the lapco bigshot .681 help the phantom shine. But as noted, watch out for that oring groove.

hellion360 07-27-2019 10:48 AM

I do still have a couple .681 lapco barrels if you want one.
But freak boring works great too!

FatalBigBird 07-27-2019 10:54 AM

Probably gonna get jumped for saying this. I am not a fan of running small bores on breach loaders like a phantom or azodin. In my experience I get more breaks as the paintball is shot from a larger diameter area to a smaller one. I had the best luck just running some electrical tape in the breach right before the barrel to snug it up and prevent roll outs.

freedummy 07-27-2019 11:10 AM

I totally understand. Once they've lost their novelty, it's a lot of maintenance and work to keep them subdued. All those whips are expensive, and the gimp suits are hard to clean...

Gabe 07-27-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatalBigBird (Post 3602567)
Probably gonna get jumped for saying this. I am not a fan of running small bores on breach loaders like a phantom or azodin. In my experience I get more breaks as the paintball is shot from a larger diameter area to a smaller one. I had the best luck just running some electrical tape in the breach right before the barrel to snug it up and prevent roll outs.

That's one thing I was worried about. Seems like the ball sits in the body so it has to transition to the barrel bore. Although it does seem like the ball sits just right at the barrel throat so it's pretty much half inside the sizer portion...

Freedummy: While I'm sure I appreciate this sense of humor I am so lost on where to start.