mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Refilling small (3.5oz) tanks... (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/46751-refilling-small-3-5oz-tanks.html)

splattttttt 07-29-2008 07:17 PM

Refilling small (3.5oz) tanks...

Can it be done from a 20oz?
What's all that's involved.
My take it that I would save $$$ from this... If it were doable?

Chappy 07-29-2008 07:21 PM

I use 2 remote on/offs connected by a very short piece of stainless braided(or a dual asa gun works to, in a pinch ;) ). Chill your 3.5's before hand and keep the 20oz (or 24 oz if you can pick one up) warm. fill with the 20 oz upside down so you get liquid, or anternatively install a siphon. Always weigh the 3.5 oz before and after, because you will usually overfill and you'll probably want to let a bit out.

Edit: The only problem I have with my setup is I blow a lot of oring, because there's no way to vent the lines before I unscrew a tank. I'd like to add an on/off vent,but haven't gotten the parts yet.

chefboi17 07-29-2008 07:37 PM

i made one pretty much the same way, but i used an asa that is an on/off with purge, and a regular on/off asa, just make sure you turn off the normal one before you purge the line

splattttttt 07-29-2008 07:51 PM

What would be the best set up compared one that I usually see at a fill station?
If yo have yet to pefect your method, lease refrain. This isn't something we want for the faint at heart (my self included) to mess with... Is it?

Chappy 07-29-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splattttttt (Post 469931)
This isn't something we want for the faint at heart (my self included) to mess with... Is it?

Its no more dangerous than putting two tanks on a gun.

drg 07-29-2008 09:39 PM

It's not real hard, any two ASAs can work but on-offs make life a lot easier, especially if one is a purging on-off (you don't want two). Basically you want the bottles close (less waste) and the 20oz upside-down.

Just make sure you pay attention to what you are doing, do not drop the setup while fililng it (you may want to do it low to the ground the first few times at least), and turn on and off the valves in the correct order.

I had a setup that had a non purging on-off ASA and an older remote style pin depressor, connected by a short piece of 1/8 brass pipe nipple. I would have loved that on-off to have been a purge type.

HP_Lovecraft 07-29-2008 10:00 PM

The only risk is that the upside down tank method will easily overfill that 3.5oz. So just make sure you weight it before you hook it up, and then again after you unhook it.

Instead of on/offs, a simple solution is a 90-degree bend. Connect to ASAs together, so that they are at a 90-degree angle.

Connect the 3.5oz, then the 20oz. Tip the 20oz upside down to fill the 3.5oz. Then flip the 20oz so that it makes a "^" shape. This will settle the liquid in the 20oz and 3.5oz

Then remove the 3.5oz enough just until the pin is unpressed, but oring is still sealing. Then remove the 20oz all the way, then the 3.5oz all the weight. (Weight and drain the 3.5oz).

This was the method we used in the old days. Sure, remotes and on/offs are handy, but sometimes you just don't have them.

xkpxfatassxx 07-29-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy (Post 470002)
Its no more dangerous than putting two tanks on a gun.

That's risky business. :p

sable 07-29-2008 10:48 PM

i never thought of doing this. but now i think i may try and create a set-up for it.

i have a ton of 20 oz CO2s. and a couple 3.5ers that is a pain to fill

splattttttt 07-30-2008 08:24 AM

Thanks HP. This is perfect, since I will be using this method for our outlaw games down at the woods by the end of my street. The way I look at it, we should get at least five 3.5oz tanks out of a 20oz?
Which by the way... You really ought to make it down sometime along with Carter, and Paul, aka C5TEK. They're both coming from near where you are I think?