mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Best gun for a twelve year old? (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/70173-best-gun-twelve-year-old.html)

Levon12345 03-10-2009 11:12 PM

Best gun for a twelve year old?

Alright. so I got a few guys I work with and their kids hooked into paintball and they're looking to buy a few guns. Now I can recommend great guns for the two fathers all day but what should I suggest for their kids? Let's face it 98s are too long, awkward and annoying for the little guys. Being four foot nothing doesn't lend to a long gun that needs to be shouldered. They've used them as rentals and don't like them. I'm leaning more toward a stacked tube blowback. I've been out of the loop on Spyders for probably 4 years so here's where I turn to you guys. Are the sub-$200 Spyders worth their time?

Kahnif 03-10-2009 11:21 PM

I never really liked the spyders and I'd rather shoot a 98 over a spyder. Perhaps a used A5 or even a vibe? My first marker when I was 12 after 2 years of a rental was the A5 and I loved it until I started to get more into paintball and speedball. Just warn the dads not to buy upgrades or they will be sucked in the money pit of Tippmann upgrades.

H3adHunt3r 03-10-2009 11:24 PM

remote line a tippmann ?

therealjt 03-10-2009 11:24 PM

i would get in on some of these...
trilogy sport
Worrgames Autococker Trilogy Sport Paintball Gun - Matte Blue at ActionVillage.com : Paintball

they are upgradeable

or for a lightweight lower cost >200 and they can think they are cool laying down as much paint as they want
09 proto slg
Proto SLG 09 Paintball Gun - Clear at ActionVillage.com : Paintball

some things to think about

yuik 03-10-2009 11:27 PM

used automag. nothing to go wrong and cant possibly break

netsurferdude2 03-10-2009 11:28 PM

If you do go the route of a spyder. Get one of the old grey bodied ones. They are great and cheap too. You can pick one up for $40-$60. I have about 5 or 6 of them. They can take a beating.

I may have an extra I can part with. If you do want one or just want info on them, PM me.

WSCopic 03-10-2009 11:37 PM

Have to say a Mag, as well. Great gun, and if he likes playing he can use it for the next 30 years. :P

chefboi17 03-10-2009 11:42 PM

i would say a invert mini, with a ninja 50ci (or used 45/45) tank and a used halo. this setup would be light, and would be more than capable of keeping up with anything on the field.
the only limiting factor would be the price of a setup like that, but it would probably be cheaper in the long run by not buying a cheaper pos gun, and upgrading.

Graf Orlock 03-10-2009 11:54 PM

I say automag as well.... i have an automag and i put a 3.5 oz tank and 50 round hopper on it and a reasonably small barrel and i love it ...small compact light wait but still ROCK solid... i can very easily and accurately shoot it one handed uzi stile.... so for a youngin it would be great

TheJudge 03-10-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefboi17 (Post 737723)
but it would probably be cheaper in the long run by not buying a cheaper pos gun, and upgrading.

Right, so Don't buy a "pos gun" and get a 'Mag. :p
(I'm just jokin' with ya', friend.)

My two cents:
Piranhas are a LOT nicer than Spyders.

I'd recommend either a Classic Mag, a lot smaller package than a lot of other guns, or an old Mokal Mirage, reliable and light, slightly longer than a 'Mag, but lighter and a lot cheaper.

No matter which you get, find them a stubby 9oz, shortens pull by a good 2 inches.:thumbup: