mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Space Monkey 615 !!!

Kilt Club
To each his own and please don't take any of my posts as argumentative...

But,,,

I would also like to bring to your attention that the Ghost comes stock with a LAPCO #6 power tube ,,, fluted anti-kink hammer,,, sliding trigger (that's buttery smooth and can be set to auto-trigger if you like),,, a timmy/spyder detent that holds the ball in place after the bolt is closed (so no roll-outs),,, braided stainless line w/quick dis-connect for ease of maintenance and taking apart...

I know phantoms are nice but some of the things I listed don't come stock with a phantom and have to be added later... But like you said it's all personal preference...

WK2
WickedKlown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I understand what you're saying, I do. And I'm thankful for any argument, it helps my thinking as it reflects my internal debate.

But I've compared the power tubes, and I don't really buy into a huge difference.

Generally speaking, I always have preferred a hinge trigger to a slider. I don't know that I care on a stock class gun, though. I call this a wash.

The phantom internals are anti-kink, and I don't know that I think the fluting is a huge selling point, either. I've always preferred Bushmaster internals to Lapco or CCI. In general, any difference in internals is only going to create much difference for efficiency. So far as that goes, I know what's reported for a ghost, I know what I've seen from phantoms. It's close enough that I don't care.

I've decided that I prefer the Stainless Steel hose with QD for convenience, but I'm a huge fan of hardline for cosmetics. No advantage there for either.

I very much prefer the side pump arm to the Phantom rod style. But then, I really prefer the double arm style of Bushmasters. But for stock class, I don't care so much anyway. And the pump rod doesn't have a thumbscrew to come loose. So it's a wash.

The phantom, for a nelson based gun, is really a nightmare to disassemble. Especially for a VSC. So, score to the Ghost there.

The ghost only comes with a 14 inch barrel. I really want a shorter barrel. Annoying, but not a huge issue.

The ghost has a ball detent. But phantom detent rings work well. Neither has an appropriately sized barrel for a stock class gun, or this wouldn't be an issue anyway.

The phantom has stainless inserts. The ghost gets stripped out. Score phantom.

There are very few ghosts. But I intend to get a custom colored phantom, which you can't get in a ghost. On the other hand, this will make the phantom more expensive than the ghost. Perhaps a slight advantage to the ghost here.

Just as an aside, what in the world is with the black feed blocks and the black stocks that come with ghosts? It's not enough to put me off of them, but it just.. should match the rest of the gun.

Oh. And does anyone know what the deal is with the year? I've seen some that say 2008, some that say 2009.. Will mine say 2010 if I order it now?
bgearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

The ghost is spyder threaded so its not hard to find different barrels, although they do need to be 7/8" OD.

The latest ghosts have a matching feed-block, but the stock is still black (I personally think it looks better with the black). The first run of ghosts were 2006 until around #300, then they're 2008 now. AFAIK there is one that says 2009 and it was a custom serialed #99 for a former employee.

I bought the ghost for the uniqueness and the ability to use any nelspot compatible parts (bodies, valves, frames, internals). Can you put a 007 frame/valvebody on a phantom if you feel like having 12g in grip?

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Engus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yea, if you bought a Ghost brand new now, it would have a pretty aluminum matching feedblock, not a black one. Mine came with one of those but I replaced it with a clear CCI feedblock and a shorter feedtube. Personally I'm glad the stocks are black, I think they would look really odd with silver stocks.

For barrels, it's not too hard to find things to fit the Ghost. J&J's fit perfectly as do PPS barrels, and you could also put a Stiffi MF in there I believe (from what I can tell by talking to Site Mfg. about it). Or you could get just about any machinist to turn down any other common aluminum, Spyder threaded barrel on a lathe - CP, Lapco, whatever you want.

IMO the Ghost also has a cleaner look overall with all of the screws being hidden besides the thumbscrews (and the feedblock screws and the ones for holding the stock on, which sort of have to be left exposed), and I love the grey/black/brass combo. The trigger is also a lot nicer and I find the frame more comfortable, and the pump stroke feels smoother and a touch lighter too. There isn't that much of an efficiency difference, but there is one. And a lot of people say the Ghost is a lot louder than a Phantom - well honestly that isn't really true. The Ghost definitely is louder, but it isn't that big of a difference. The Ghost is still pretty quiet, even with the stock 14" Bigshot (which hardly counts as being a ported barrel).

And the Ghost's ball detent is sooo much more hassle-free than detent rings. It's really nice to just be able to load some air and paint into the gun and shoot, without having to worry about sizing the rings to the paint to make sure they don't roll out. It's also really nice to be a bit more unique at the field than the average Phantom owner .

Grey Ghost #308, SC Brassterling, Super Stocker, Predator SM-1, Hammer7
Classic/Pump Mag, VM-68
05 Cyborg, 06 Cyborg, PM8 LE Canary, Hybrid NXT, E-Tac

(MCB) Feedback
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0 View Post
The trigger is also a lot nicer and I find the frame more comfortable, and the pump stroke feels smoother and a touch lighter too.
Every single phantom owner that I've let try out my ghost said the same thing.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I tend to think the frame would be nicer, just from the look of it. It seems pretty similar to the old mag/sheridan/cocker/palmer type barrels, which I like fine. Except that they're not tall enough for my big hands, but the ghost has a bit more length on the back, so it'd be perfect. On the other hand, I actually like the rather crappy Phantom .45 frame. Fits my big hands. I don't think I'd care about the trigger either way. I just don't like sliding triggers, but then, I don't think I'd care that much.

Noise doesn't matter to me much either way.

And while I realize other barrels are an option, it'd just be really nice to get a match-anodized Bigshot in 12 inch. Both guns should come with a .679, but I realize that's probably too much to hope for.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried to get a different Lapco barrel anodized to match along with their ghost? Shouldn't be that big a deal for them, I'd think.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'm not sure anyone ever bothered to ask even. Call or e-mail them and find out. They might let you ask for a shorter barrel or different bore size or something and just swap it for free, or perhaps they might charge you a little bit for the custom machining to turn down the barrel to fit. And there's also the chance that they just won't do it. But it's worth asking, right?

Classic/Pump Mag, VM-68

(MCB) Feedback
Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

That's what I'm thinking.

It's kind of screwed up that they made the thing threaded for Spyder barrels, but their own Spyder barrels need to be turned down to fit.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yea... I'm not really sure why they chose to go with Spyder threads. Perhaps because they're common threads for most barrels, but then why not Autococker?

Although, the Ghost's maximum barrel OD is the same as the OD for Kingman's MR-series markers (the ones with the shrouds)... so maybe that had something to do with it. I really don't know .

Classic/Pump Mag, VM-68

(MCB) Feedback
Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

the OD of cocker threads is larger than 7/8"

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers