mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Grey Ghost threads stripping

I've been perusing the Lapco forums, and between here and there I've determined that Grey Ghosts have some difficulty with stripped threads, and perhaps not a great deal of luck getting them fixed. This seems to happen a great deal with the feed tube.

Any comments on this? Does anyone know if Lapco has been good about fixing this problem?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Space Monkey 615 !!!

Kilt Club
I know that Watcher sent his back and is getting his fixed because of the stripped feedblock screw issue... I had a different problem with mine and sent it back in and I was called by the Tech several times with updates to what he was doing to it... I have been very satisfied with the customer support and repairs from LAPCO with my Ghost...

All you have to do is go to the LAPCO webby and fill out a RMA request and they will get in touch with you about what needs to be done... https://support.lapcopaintball.com/

I hope that helps

WK2
WickedKlown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

That's good to know. Basically, I'm still between the ghost and Phantom, and this is really the one glaring flaw in the ghost, compared to the phantom.

It really is a pretty huge concern, considering that the phantom is essentially bulletproof and the Ghost seems to have a really major issue here. Even if they do fix it, it's the sort of thing that shouldn't be an issue to begin with.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Space Monkey 615 !!!

Kilt Club
I have only heard of a few cases of the feedblock screw stripping out and it was from either over-tightening the screw or hitting the feedblock into/against a solid object ( solid object will always win over aluminum no matter who made the marker ) ... I have not yet had any problem with any of my screws stripping and I have owned mine since OCT '08...

But rest assured if you do have a problem with your future Ghost that LAPCO will help you out and not leave you high and dry...

WK2
Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

No doubt you saw my problem, which is of no ones fault but my own. I over tightened a screw then tried to fix it myself, not a good idea. Yes, the feed tube does kinda suck, but i just wrapped teflon around the tube and tightened it but not too much.
SHADOW_STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Three things here..

There are only a couple hundred of the ghosts out there, if that. Five to ten instances of this is a really high percentage.

Impacts with solid objects and over-tightening are common occurrence for a paintball gun.

Lots of guns avoid these problems by avoiding having aluminum body parts threaded. The most similar gun on the market has steel inserts.

I don't mean to sound /too/ critical, I really kind of want a grey ghost, but the Phantom - Ghost comparison is really tough.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

You make some very good points. Personally, I got the Grey Ghost because it was unique
SHADOW_STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I was a moron and overtightened my feedblock and stripped the body's threads, but Lapco replaced it 100% free, I just had to pay postage. Turnaround time was pretty quick, too. Doesn't excuse the fact that they really shouldn't be able to break that easily in the first place, but at least if you do break it you aren't totally SOL (unless you break it and don't have time to get the body replaced before a game or something). You could always install a stainless steel insert in the body yourself, but that might be a bit risky.

EDIT: To clarify, the only postage I paid was sending the body to Lapco, they covered sending it back.

Grey Ghost #308, SC Brassterling, Super Stocker, Predator SM-1, Hammer7
Classic/Pump Mag, VM-68
05 Cyborg, 06 Cyborg, PM8 LE Canary, Hybrid NXT, E-Tac

(MCB) Feedback
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Space Monkey 615 !!!

Kilt Club
1.) In my PGP the front grip frame screw goes directly into the brass body.
2.) In my AGD Tac One the only screw holding the body to the rail/frame screws directly into the aluminum body,,, same with a ule body, karta body or any aluminum mag body...
3.) In my '04 AKA Viking once again metal screws going into aluminum to hold the body, tray, frame together along with eye covers and air-passages...

Aluminum Feednecks screwing into aluminum bodies are no different and can get cross threaded, overtightened or even broken off sliding into things...

It's all about knowing your marker and not going over tightening crazy on the screws or abusing your equipment...

If you know somebody near you that has a Ghost I would suggest giving it a try and seeing if you really want one and ask them how well it's held up for them...

And just like Zero when I sent mine back for repairs the only out of pocket cost for me was to mail it to them...

I hope that helps

WK2

Last edited by WickedKlown2; 01-03-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Unfortunately I don't expect to be able to try one before I buy. Even if I did, one person's experience means very little. I know people who still swear by stingrays and raptors and all sorts of other crap.

And yes, tons of very good guns have threaded aluminum bodies. It is always an awful idea, and it's beyond my understanding why it still happens. It's a really horrible idea in the Grey Ghost, where you have very little material for the feed screw to go into, and a feed tube that puts a lot of leverage on it.

Again, I don't mean to be overly critical. Essentially, I'm trying to decide between two guns that are very similar and apparently very good. Consequently, I'm focusing on the differences, even if they're not very significant. So far, this seems to be the most significant difference between the two.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers