-   Pump Markers (
-   -   Stock Class question (

Riot 12-30-2012 04:57 PM

Stock Class question
Let me start by giving you guys the cliche "I searched around and couldn't find anything." Now, via forum rules, you can't hate me if I missed it.

Seriously though,
I have posted threads around about trying out pump. I don't see a ton of pump love in CT, at least not where I frequent. But if I can get the same amount of fun out of the sport at half the cost, COUNT ME IN! Plus, Massachusetts seems to show the variation lots of love.

My question is a simple one (which is why I am sure I must have missed it), I see people talk about stock class a lot when referring to pump markers. I also see them stray away from that term when talking about cocker conversions. Can somebody explain to me the difference or send me an informative link (without too much reading, please! and preferably a font in comic sans, size makes me happy.)

(who the hell signs their forum name with an exclamation point, wtf?)

Law 12-30-2012 05:12 PM

I think its usually: 20 ball capacity feed stick, co2 cartridge, and of course pump. I hope someone will have a more official and detailed answer for you. You'll have to move to MA for the fonts though :)

SASBRANDO 12-30-2012 05:13 PM

this might help
stock class paintball guns by component concepts inc. cci
the stock class forum

Riot 12-30-2012 05:18 PM

Yep! That'll do it.

Do most places that play pump stick to stock class or general? What about tournaments? Are they separate? One or the other? Or basically if it pumps, you're good?

Thanks again for link!

toymachine 12-30-2012 05:21 PM

Lots of different leagues for pump play (some national, but mostly local it seems), each with own rules. Most fields that limit certain games to pump allow the most liberal variation - that is open class pump play. I'm thinking most of rec fields/games here though. In this case, generally speaking, if your gun is a pump, you're good. But it's really a case by case thing - certain fields have certain rules. In other words, at the end of the day, every field is different. That's a good general rule. Same deal for tournaments, but again while you do have a few national ones with cohesive standardized rules/regulations, you mostly have local variant each with their own rules and regulations. The following is a response to your first/opening post. Wordy, I know, so please forgive me...

What exactly is your first question? Are you interested in defining stock class play?

Per Law's post, it's generally limited to a stick feed (exact quantities of balls vary, but 10-20 or 30 is probably accurate, although more like 20 max a law states), 12g (generally limited to only one) and a pump.

I think of stock class per the old nelson and sheridan based guns, where you also have to rock/tilt the gun to load a ball. I think most people consider spring feeds as "modified stock class," as in not a "pure" form of stock class.

Honestly I don't worry too much about this. There is semi-auto play, which includes full-auto, electropneumatic guns with boards with multiple settings (ramping, burst fire, etc.), etc.

Then there is pump play. This is divided into two main catagories: open class and stock class. Open class uses a hopper, constant air (co2 or hpa tank) and obviously doesn't require the marker to be rocked/tilted to load a ball (this would also include auto-trigger guns). Then there is stock class - stick feed and a 12g, no co2 or hpa tanks or hopper.

Another variant of pump is modified stock class, as alluded to earlier. This allows for constant air tanks (co2/hpa), small pocket hoppers (50-100 rnd hoppers), spring loaded feed tubes that don't require the gun to be tilted to load a ball, etc.

Another way you can think of this is the level to which different forms of pump take the advantage away from the player's equipment to their personal "skill." Open class pump (where no rules apply to gas/power source or ball loading capacity, you just need a pump gun) is one step away from the advantage provided by semi-auto guns. Modified stock class puts some limits on that - small 4oz tanks, spring loaded feed tube, pocket hopper. Stock class is the most "limited" form of pump - the form that requires the player to rely most on his or her own "skill" in terms of shooting/accuracy, strategy, teamwork and movement.

SASBRANDO 12-30-2012 05:23 PM

ya what he said ^

toymachine 12-30-2012 05:27 PM


Originally Posted by cbrpaintball (Post 2576462)
ya what he said ^

lol, I crack myself up sometimes :rolleyes: ;)

uniwersel 12-30-2012 05:36 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but modified stock class is a horizontal stick feed with constant air, no?

toymachine 12-30-2012 05:38 PM

Could be, that is certainly one variation of it. It could also be a spring feed with a 12g, or a vertical feed tube with a 4oz tank, or a spring feed with 9oz tank, etc. etc.

You get the point ;)

Scope of variation per definition: for Open Class, Stock Class and Modified Stock Class Pump Play

Open class - relatively narrow - i.e. the gun has to be a pump, any loader can be used, any air/co2 system can be used

Stock class - most narrow - i.e. stick feed plus 12g, no real other variations, although imho another limitation is that you have to rock/tilt the gun to load a ball from the stick feed, although not all agree that this is a third requirement of stock class

Modified stock class - very broad - i.e. lots of different variations, generally where you take one aspect of open class and combine it with one aspect of stock class, such as when using a pocket hopper and 12g setup, or stick feed and 4oz co2 tank

dgorman47 12-30-2012 05:40 PM

There is a great thread on here.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC