mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old Slow Fat Guy

Fantasy RPG - Pay to play?

One of our local game stores offers D&D sessions every other Friday&Saturday nights. These were designed more to encourage and teach new players than to be a long term campaign. As such, these are basically one-ofs with no guarantee of which GM you will get on any given night. So far so good. Its a nice idea to get new players involved.

Game is D&D 5E. Characters start at first and as made out of the Players Handbook. Everybody is a member of the local Adventurers Guild, which sends you out on assignments in exchange for room, board, weapons, armor, healing potions, etc. From my observations there is not a whole lot of role playing, but lots of roll playing... just hack and slash or what is now called murder hobo.

I have been contemplating getting involved, but I am a bit spoiled. My last gaming sessions were literally over twenty years ago and were in a continuing campaign. However, 5E is all new to me. I am still trying to dig my way through the books.

HThere is a cost involved... $7 per person per session. I have never heard of a table space charge for role playing before. Is this common where you game?

Any other thoughts you want to share about playing in 5E among a bunch of strangers?

Thanks!

Un2XS Feedback

The (Infamous) Woodsball Manifesto by Rob "Tyger" Rubin

Real heros don't wear spandex. - Mel Gibson

Nothing is impossible. Some things just take longer. - David Chase

Last edited by Un2xs; 03-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Un2xs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un2xs View Post
One of our local game stores offers D&D sessions every other Friday&Saturday nights. These were designed more to encourage and teach new players than to be a long term campaign. As such, these are basically one-ofs with no guarantee of which GM you will get on any given night. So far so good. Its a nice idea to get new players involved.

Game is D&D 5E. Characters start at first and as made out of the Players Handbook. Everybody is a member of the local Adventurers Guild, which sends you out on assignments in exchange for room, board, weapons, armor, healing potions, etc. From my observations there is not a whole lot of role playing, but lots of roll playing... just hack and slash or what is now called murder hobo.

I have been contemplating getting involved, but I am a bit spoiled. My last gaming sessions were literally over twenty years ago and were in a continuing campaign. However, 5E is all new to me. I am still trying to dig my way through the books.

HThere is a cost involved... $7 per person per session. I have never heard of a table space charge for role playing before. Is this common where you game?

Any other thoughts you want to share about playing in 5E among a bunch of strangers?

Thanks!
Free food and drinks? How long are the sessions? Is $30 a month a big deal to you?
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deplorable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un2xs View Post
There is a cost involved... $7 per person per session
at my LGS, EDH nights attract so many people the store started charging $1 per "game" but that actually was a benefit since so many people paid the $1, the store can now offer prize support.

the $7 is paying for the space; maybe you could elevate the D&D experience for everyone else?

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Old Slow Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Free food and drinks? How long are the sessions? Is $30 a month a big deal to you?
You want food or drinks you either bring them with you or buy them from the store.

Game starts at 7pm and end around 10pm or a bit later.

I have no problem shelling out the $$. I had just never heard of any store charging for table space before. Gaming guilds/clubs have used this model before. I would have thought the store would have promoted the gams just as a way to get customers in the front door.

On the plus side, they use part of the funds to pay the GMs in store credit. Also, your first session also gets you a $5 miniature. Rest goes to the store.

Not really bitching, but this is some thing new for me.

This Friday will be my first session. If the setting is right I will see how the other patrons React to ROLE playing vs their usual ROLL playing. :-)

Sessions to level up:
2 - 1st
3 - 2nd
4 - 3rd
5 - 4th
6 - 5th and up.

Store is a bit over a year old. Some characters are about 6th level.

Last edited by Un2xs; 02-14-2019 at 02:26 AM.
Un2xs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
Local gamer bar ddoes similiar. $5 gets you a dm with a ready to go one shot. 5th ed all 5th level characters. No magic items. Its a bar so food and drinks are available. Worth it. Adventurers league is it's own thing. Not a bad idea if you are interested in building

Support your local fields. The game you save may be your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...eedback-3.html
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Still pumpin'

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
We have a few of these types of places locally. I haven't been as of yet, but have spoken with them about GM-ing for WoD when I saw them at comicon (not sure if there was interest in it, but it's my jam). They seem to pay for good DM/GM so I'm sure that's where a good part of the fee would go.

It seems like an interesting way to get folks into the genre who haven't found a "nerd coven" of their own. Overall nothing beats a good gaming troupe with a liberal byob policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcor View Post
Doubt me and I will smite your equipment
OpusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've never paid for a table but I would be willing to pay to be in "perpetual" game with some real role playing organized by a good DM.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
DM's are hard to find, I haven't paid to play before but have been in groups that decided to spring for drinks, food, books, for the poor schmuck that always DMed.

I'm going to take this opportunity to shamelessly plug our ongoing online 7th Sea game. if anyone is interested just let me know. I'm not sure how much longer we will be doing this game (I'm the current GM and we are getting closer to the end of some of my plots) but we do have openings, and will likely go back to D&D after this.
Stock class = https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post2063667

Master Jar Jar
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
DM's are hard to find...
You got that right. I used to DM/GM a lot and my gaming friends said they loved my games but they burnt me out. Kudos to that rare breed that likes to DM/GM it really, to me, is a thankless job. I refuse to DM/GM anymore I just want to play and make the DM/GM's life hard .

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Still pumpin'

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
... I refuse to DM/GM anymore I just want to play and make the DM/GM's life hard .
So you're THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcor View Post
Doubt me and I will smite your equipment
OpusX is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » RPG - Table Top Games