mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Daddy

Fan of EMR
Seeking a game w/ Longevity

So...I
I'm trying to think of a game. I want to build a table, or have each person build a section of table and combine them. I want something that you build/progress. Most importantly, I want longevity. I want it to good for groups. Now, i'll elaborate.

I continue to try to get my friends to play Warhammer 40k. None of them have any interest in getting sucked into such an expensive game. Any alternatives I've found were two player. I am not necessarily sold on Warhammer, in fact, the two times I've played it, I wasn't even all that into it.

Next I considered making it a computer game. We all have computers and they're all gamer types. I thought Civilization would be fun! I was under the impression we'd all create our own army's and then play the game from there, competing against one another. I watched a handful of videos and I wasn't into the fact that it was a turn based game. Didn't really give the chance to expand your own army-- at least not how I pictured. I liked WoW and how we could all level at our own pace, the world didnt stop just because we did... but this wasn't inclusive enough and we would basically be on the same side.

The closest I've come up with is that they'd play WH40k but with army men and stuff...and that really just doesn't do it for me. If I just couldn't get enough of the game play, fine, sure, whatever, but it's the entire experience. The table, the different armies we could all be, the different "builds" of each army in the same "point" game.

So, what am I seeking?

A game...Tabletop or Computer based, inclusive to just my friend group. Involves a fair starting point, but allows you to grow and/or decide your "team" to defeat your friend, must allow for longevity. Something we can leave off with and then come back to a later determined time.

I know they play Dungeons and Dragons, but there is a zero percent chance I'm playing D&D. I don't like to play make believe. I can do the gaming thing if there are physical *things* (computer characters, figurines) in front of me, but I can't do the pretend thing.

Any ideas? Feel free to ask questions. I can better explain with direct questions. My friends think that I'm just stuck on Warhammer, but I rly couldnt care less about WH itself, if there was a cheaper, knock off version, count me in. I just like the idea of us all being different, yet the same.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
VoodistMonk

Buy a bunch of Heroclix.

Throw the rules out the window.

Build your tables with buildings and objects sized accordingly to the Heroclix figures.

Enjoy playing as Deathstroke or Ironman...

My friend and I play this absurd perversion of Heroclix about once a week.

Massive 12-on-12 or 20v20 matches.

We used to have a 12" string to measure movement and a 6" string to measure shooting distance, but now we don't even use the strings. It's an honor based battle.

Granted, there is no plot or story. You just pick out who you want to battle with and go to war.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Look into Conan Exiles for the PC.

Playing that right now with some friends on a private server. Survival PVP or PVE set in the extended Conan universe. You start out naked (and depending on your settings, actually naked naked, the character creation menu has an "endowment" slider) in the desert. Find food, find shelter, find stuff to make tools and weapons, try not to get killed by everything, start killing everything, start building stuff. After a while you're living in a castle manned by an army of enslaved Thralls, a stable full of horses (and the horse riding mechanics which were just recently added are spectacular), a pen full of animals, and a mounted Dragon head on the wall behind your throne...

...only to have your friend start launching his trebuchet at you from the next mountain top.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Money Pits 'R Us

CCI Phantom Fan
For tabletop, you could also try Kings of War or Fanticide rule sets. You can basically use any models to build any type of warband you want, escalate until you're playing different sized games, play campaigns, grudge matches etc.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trekkie

Make **** up.

I consider my self a part time game developer in a sense, as i just love making games. Best game so far: Star clash.

Its pen and paper game with space ship and combat and is 100% portable. I made it up in 6th grade. Dont be a slave to published work just be creative!

mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
So...I
I'm trying to think of a game. I want to build a table, or have each person build a section of table and combine them. I want something that you build/progress. Most importantly, I want longevity. I want it to good for groups. Now, i'll elaborate.

I continue to try to get my friends to play Warhammer 40k. None of them have any interest in getting sucked into such an expensive game. Any alternatives I've found were two player. I am not necessarily sold on Warhammer, in fact, the two times I've played it, I wasn't even all that into it.

Next I considered making it a computer game. We all have computers and they're all gamer types. I thought Civilization would be fun! I was under the impression we'd all create our own army's and then play the game from there, competing against one another. I watched a handful of videos and I wasn't into the fact that it was a turn based game. Didn't really give the chance to expand your own army-- at least not how I pictured. I liked WoW and how we could all level at our own pace, the world didnt stop just because we did... but this wasn't inclusive enough and we would basically be on the same side.

The closest I've come up with is that they'd play WH40k but with army men and stuff...and that really just doesn't do it for me. If I just couldn't get enough of the game play, fine, sure, whatever, but it's the entire experience. The table, the different armies we could all be, the different "builds" of each army in the same "point" game.

So, what am I seeking?

A game...Tabletop or Computer based, inclusive to just my friend group. Involves a fair starting point, but allows you to grow and/or decide your "team" to defeat your friend, must allow for longevity. Something we can leave off with and then come back to a later determined time.

I know they play Dungeons and Dragons, but there is a zero percent chance I'm playing D&D. I don't like to play make believe. I can do the gaming thing if there are physical *things* (computer characters, figurines) in front of me, but I can't do the pretend thing.

Any ideas? Feel free to ask questions. I can better explain with direct questions. My friends think that I'm just stuck on Warhammer, but I rly couldnt care less about WH itself, if there was a cheaper, knock off version, count me in. I just like the idea of us all being different, yet the same.
play 40k Kill Team. You can build an army for under $100 easy.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Daddy

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
play 40k Kill Team. You can build an army for under $100 easy.
Ill look into it, but any additional info you have, Id love to read it!

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:

Old 01-23-2020, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Daddy

Fan of EMR
Found video on Kill Team...

Holy ****ing convoluted.

My friend, oddly enough, hit up my roommate earlier asking about his old army. It looks as though we’re going to give it a shot. We aren’t going to buy the starter kit, as we have all the rules and codex’s.

I have no clue how to build an army for Kill Team, hell, I barely know how to for WH40K. But I gotta figure that out for Orkz!

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » RPG - Table Top Games