mcarterbrown.com  

Scenarios and Big Games Scenario and Big Game information, upcoming events, and small talk

Old 05-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

Hell's Survivors - Monster Game 2018 - July 28-29

Another year, another monster game. Last year's viper game seemed ok, and except for some confusion during the "final battle" I had a good time. Though I wish they didn't cut it short on the second day.

The regular small group of Renegades is driving up again, just looking to see who else is going, etc. Any other impressions people had from last year?

Paintball, Airsoft, Parties & Outings | Hell Survivors
flyer - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1h...JmSXIwRm8/view
rules - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FkB...Xfhl5Jd_2/view
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Lurker

I’m looking into it. I haven’t played this event in 10+ years.

I’ll be there this weekend for LLXI, there doesn’t seem to be a thread for it?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Old, Slow and Angry

Send a message via Skype™ to MadCat

Fan of EMR
PPS Fan
MMG is always on my paintball calendar. I love that high-intensity woodsball. Looking forward to another good run, then post-game BBQ and beers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
i just realized - those aren't flames on the blazer logo - it's leaking air.....
MadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Iím looking into it. I havenít played this event in 10+ years.
Quick note, the Monster game format changed slightly last year. They don't break for lunch on saturday, and they end earlier on sunday (with a 30 minute 'cluster' to end the game).

I don't remember players having no-value towards winning last year, but this year they have no value. It's all about real-estate.

07:00am Saturday Registration Starts
08:00am Radar Starts
10:00am Game Starts
05:00pm Game Ends Saturday (all Rentals Must be Returned)

08:00am Sunday Registration Starts
08:00am Radar Starts
09:00am Game Starts
01:00pm Pre-Final Battle Break
01:30pm Final Battle Briefing
02:00pm Final Battle Starts
02:30pm Final Battle Ends (all Rentals Must be Returned)
03:00pm Sunday Mega Prize Give-Away & Awards Ceremony
Old 05-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grumpy Lurker

Saturday at LLXI the game was mostly focused on the Grinder. I don't think it ever got to the village.

I skipped Sunday for family time.

The "new" compressed field plays very strangely compared to way back when. Not having the hill and old village location really limits you to the circle around the swamp.

Do they do anything different for Monster to spread players out?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

It may have felt really focused on the Grinder, but there was a LOT of action going on in the back of the field. There were just so many players that I think it made it seem like it was focused up front.

Many players also stay in the grinder because there was a large focus there from the media group, and they would be more likely to get their picture taken.
Cobra77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I was disappointed with that lack of movement, was basically just a big stalemate around the castle. However I did enjoy the brief 20min Village battle, were about 15ppl behind every building. I'm disappointed the village was barely used after we spent time fixing it up.

Surprisingly, Dave's new tiki bar didn't seem to cause any problems.
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.
1996XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Grumpy Lurker

Some people were asked to leave friday night... I'm kinda surprised they were able to get a liquor license, but maybe pinkney needs the revenue?
Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old, Slow and Angry

Send a message via Skype™ to MadCat

Fan of EMR
PPS Fan
Quote:
Some people were asked to leave friday night... I'm kinda surprised they were able to get a liquor license, but maybe pinkney needs the revenue?
it was always just for "VIPs" or at least I thought that. Is it open to players now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
i just realized - those aren't flames on the blazer logo - it's leaking air.....
MadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Riverside Renegades

Quote:
Saturday at LLXI the game was mostly focused on the Grinder. I don't think it ever got to the village.

I skipped Sunday for family time.

The "new" compressed field plays very strangely compared to way back when. Not having the hill and old village location really limits you to the circle around the swamp.

Do they do anything different for Monster to spread players out?
Well, the "new" field layout has been this way for awhile, I don't remember how long, but I do remember the days of staging area for monster game being in the flood zone during heavy rains, down in the pit (mid-late 90s).

Over the past 5 year the game still has a lot of battles in the "back 40". We normally just pick clockwise or counter and try to make a full loop. The game has been changed a bit to create situations where the grinder exists for two reasons, the green zones at each starting area allow teams to not be bottled into a suicide entry (been there, done that), and also creates a media-zone/paint wasting zone.

There are normally battles at the corners of the roads, west-point, bravo. I've rarely seen Archie battles for some reason. East-point has died down for me in the past years, maybe due to the monster game getting less people, so less people go to the far far back. West point seems to be rough fighting each year now, I suspect because you have guaranteed starting areas it's harder to flank than it used to be (you can't come at it from both directions on the road).

The area between Bravo - Helicopter - West Point always has people also in my past years.

If the teams are uneven, it can turn into a grinderfest because no one likes constantly walking back from the far part of the field unless they had a chance to do something. So when one team is overwhelming, it usually degenerates into a grinder (vs the village) conflict.

If anyone is showing up and like more of the far side battles, feel free to message myself or MadCat for some team info and you can run with us as we go for more back battles.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Scenarios and Big Games