mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nerd

Caught the Bug, Complete with Drill Press

For years I basically didn't really dig playing with brass, though I loved a few Sheridans.

But this year, for whatever reason, I caught the brass bug. My two favorite markers have been a PGP and a Super Stocker. And a few weeks back, I snagged a good looking PMI-1 on the 'bay, and finally put the drill press in the basement to use. So now it has quarter-inch holes in the feed tube. Next up: Quick-strip slot. (I also added wedgets, but nothing more complicated than a hammer and a screw for those.)

Got a fast change on the way, and with just a few more tweaks this is going to be a fun marker. Might even add a knob to the bolt to go bolt action.

Did...did I convert from a Nelson guy to a Sheridan guy? In a span of like...six months? Maybe...
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
WTB: 007 Challenger
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.

I was a hard nelson guy forever. I bought and sold a few sheridans over the years but was never completely comfortable with them.

I realized what I liked about Nelsons was the single tube design, and what I hated about Sheridans was 3 tubes stacked on top of each other. Once I had one built side tubedit all clicked.

Now my PMI-II is my go to shooter. Shoots absolute lasers and I can always count on it.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I am a nelson guy that has always had problems with Sheridans. There are a few reasons, but the killer is that I can't load a round consistently without some really exaggerated motions.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nerd

That was one of my problems! The solution turned out to be front-loading instead of rear-loading. Stick a speed gate on the front and you're set. The problem then becomes a comically overhanging speed gate. A PMI-I or PMI-II is perfect for it, though; they have PGP-length feeds but longer barrels, so no overhang. And my Super Stocker has a longer feed tube, but still short enough that a CCI feed gate fits perfectly, length-wise.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
WTB: 007 Challenger
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

That's good to hear.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Duct Tape Wizard

I was all about Nelsons when I first got into pump play, mainly because they were a breeze to reconfigure. I had a Kingman Hammer and a Phantom with both stock and open bodies, and I would always be changing them around trying to find what I liked, a go-to setup - swapping from standard ASA's to back bottle to vertical, HPA to 3.5oz CO2 to 12 grams, direct feed to stock. I never really considered any brass gun because they seemed archaic in comparison, you needed major work to switch them around.

Now though, I realize that most of the time I play with 12 grams and stock class feeds, so my guns are all set up that way and I don't need to change them as often as when I was just familiarizing myself with pump play. I don't think my direct feed bodies have seen the field in years. As soon as I picked up a PGP it became my primary. It's not a particularly high-speed one either, still has a slowchanger (extended knob though), and the standard magazine plug. But it just shoots so nice. It points much nicer than my Phantom, and last time I played I threw on the GoPro and noticed in the footage that I was getting a much higher percentage of first-shot eliminations cross-field on dangling legs and elbows that I get with either of my Nelsons. Sure, it's a lot heavier, but it's also far shorter than an inline valve gun and you can play SO tight.

So in short, after not owning any brass for 10+ years, I think a PMI-II or P68SC are in my future. Maybe both. Or multiples of both.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan