mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Questions on the Rap4 RAM X50

I picked up a RAM X50 as part of a package deal when I got my T8 from a guy on Craigslist. I've been doing a little digging but there isn't a lot out there on these things. I know that it's a .43 semi-auto blowback that takes 10-round magazines. But that's about it. I really haven't found many reviews or people talking about them. Does anyone know if these things are rare or anything else about them?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Discontinued - OOS as far as I know
not rare IMO
Shot the powder balls better than paint

Introducing the latest training tool to law enforcement, the RAMX50. The RAMX50 is designed to replicate the look, feel, and functionality of the real handgun widely used by law enforcement agencies around the world. The RAMX50 is a redesign of the popular RAP17, with enhancements to improve the overall performance and reliability of the marker. The unit design has a new magazine reload mechanism, making each reload easier while also helping to prevent jams. The magazine of the RAMX50 been redesigned, too, and is now composed of metal instead of the plastic of the previous version.

The RAMX50 functions like a real handgun with strong blowback action. It is powered by a refillable, internal, built-in CO2 reservoir inside the handgrip which can shoot 30 rounds of .43 caliber paintballs per each fill. A RAMX50 EX version that uses a 12g disposable CO2 cylinder inside the handgrip is also available, capable of fire 50 shots per cylinder.

Both the slide and internal mechanism are made of hardened metal alloy and steel that can withstand any condition of use. The barrel is made of light-weight aluminum, helping to keep the overall weight of the marker down. The pistol frame is marked by rugged construction that can withstand drops and rough use. This is the most significant improvement of the RAMX50, and answers requests by many agencies that the new pistol be able to survive in the training arena.

The RAMX50 does not eject shell casings. Up to 10 paintball marking rounds are loaded into a magazine, and the magazine is inserted into the handgrip. Like a real handgun, the RAMX50 stops shooting when out of ammunition. The muzzle velocity is adjustable, topping out between 250fps and 300fps. The effective range of the RAMX50 is 20m (65ft), and the maximum range is 50m (160ft).

A new ‘Hard’ version of the .43 paintball, specially made for the new RAMX50 pistol, is also available. The new paintball is designed to prevent breakage in either the launching chamber or in the barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent

Last edited by EL17E 76; 07-31-2014 at 02:14 PM.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
How is the accuracy with paint? How about reliability? Are they gas efficient?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Depends on the paint - I used to consistently shoot 10" groupings at 25' FPS varied way too much for anything IMO over 30' away to hit and BREAK with any reliability

Reliability is 8/10 spring tension always varied in mags, broke slide lock more than once and it had trouble locking back consistently, never had a break in the gun though

efficiency - I had a 12g version but I never did any efficiency testing as I would swap the 12g when I emptied the 3 mags I had so it was at least 30 shots on a 12gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed. Now I just need to send it in for service.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Has too much crap

Don't try forcing 10 rounds into the mag. It will dimple the first 2-3 pretty nicely. It is a 9 round mag in reality. Check my youtube channel for .43 stuff. I got 70+ shots on a 12 gram through a similar .43 marker.
Any slide lock issues are a matter of magazine tension, and not the slide lock itself. Don't cut the springs like some people do.
Kingman paint does not work. When I tried kingman paint in my back yard literally every single shot broke in the breach. Rap4 paint is good, so is Konkor. Some guy is usually selling .43 seconds on ebay for dirt cheap, see if he has any. The effective range on these is so short that accuracy doesn't much matter, so you can afford sloppy accuracy from seconds. They will not break paint on clothing past 10-15 feet. You would have to mask shot every single person you see past that range. EL17E is pretty much right on range. In the winter mine were good at farther range because the paint would break easier, and it just shot a bit straighter for some reason.
I would caution you to read the rap4 forum before you send it in to rap4. Nothing but horror stories for the .43 cal stuff. What does it need fixed? I might be able to walk you through fixing it.

Tipx reloading mod
Feedback
Youtube
Ebay
smiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Thanks for the response. The trigger will not return forward after each shot. Instead, I need to manually push the trigger back into position. Also, after each shot, the slide will lock back even with rounds in the magazine. I tried to disassemble the marker but I got as far as the housing containing the trigger's inner workings. I couldn't figure out how to access them without breaking something.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Has too much crap

Do you have the slide off? There are some disassembly videos on Youtube that might help.
You need to replace that little spring inside the trigger. No way around it. I had to do it once, the trigger group is silly to put back together but it is doable. While you are at it, check the spring that pushes down on the slide release. It almost sounds like it is missing. If it is damaged or missing then you will need to replace it. And those two springs probably cost 4$ each because rap4 is stupid. Make sure that the inside is very clean and free of that black gunk that is left everywhere inside the marker from that cheap paint they put on the internal components. Honestly, it has been a while since I have worked on an x-50 and the trigger groups in the .43 pistols are all completely different from each other, so I hope I have understood your problem correctly. X-50s are famous for breaking that trigger spring though, so you are not alone. And I have had similar slide release problems with p99s and an x50 I had. Just make sure that depression spring is intact. If it is not giving much resistance, that just means when the slide slams back it is shaking the frame enough to knock the slide release lever up, and when the slide starts to slide forward it catches.
Hope this helps. If you post some pictures of the trigger group I may be able to remember better what it needs.

Tipx reloading mod
Feedback
Youtube
Ebay
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Do these shots help you see what you need? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Has too much crap

Well you will need to get the trigger and all that stuff out to go any further. Undo the grip screws on the left side, and take out the decocker. I think you just pull it up and slide forward and up if I remember right. Now that little pin in the grip needs to be knocked out. Now you should be able to pull the valve/reg/trigger assembly out. Check the channel where the trigger bar goes back to the valve, see if that is dirty and full of gunk. That could have something to do with the trigger not returning. And from your picture, it looks like the slide release spring is bent out of place. See if you can fix that up. When you have the trigger group out, pull the trigger and see if it will return. If it does not then you need an new trigger spring.

Tipx reloading mod
Feedback
Youtube
Ebay

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms