mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
10 round tubes for life!

Is there any chance of Springfeed Pistols surviving?

All the rage these days seems to revolve around magazine fed pistols, namely the T9.1 and the TiPX. I have to wonder if any company will ever make another SpringFeed style pistol, or if we're stuck with MagFeds and Frankensteining regular markers to become pistols like PR did with Heresy.
Zeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well with the rise of mag fed pistols. I'm amazed others company's like milsig maxtact etc didnt make any yet. I hear a rumour about milsig planning one tho
Old 06-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I hope not, I'd love to see more springfeeds hitting the market now.
On the milsig rumour, I've heard one of the magfed companies are planning a .50 M1911 clone, dunno if that's them or not though.

STRIDERS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
10 round tubes for life!

I feel like Springfeeds still have a place in the world, plus carrying a bunch of 10 round tubes is far easier than trying to carry around an equal amount of magazines.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeren View Post
I feel like Springfeeds still have a place in the world, plus carrying a bunch of 10 round tubes is far easier than trying to carry around an equal amount of magazines.
That is true. Altough zetas also take more space then 10 rnd tubes. Its the easiest one to carry
Old 06-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

This thread poses an interesting question, one that I've wondered about myself. To me, springfeed has a distinct advantage in reliability, but a distinct disadvantage in reload speed. Part of this is that the Sydarm was, to my knowledge, the only springfed pistol ever released from the OEM with a top-loading system. Since so few of those really hit the market, not many were exposed to the idea until AgentSmith repurposed it for the Zeus. I feel that if this loading system had been introduced on a more widespread basis pistol play would have picked up much more before the magfeds rolled around and would have won some loyalty to the springfeed. Alas, it was not, and thus most new pistoleros are drawn to the magfed arena. Which I'm not saying is wrong, but it's certainly not the only way to play pistol.

I've never had a jam with a springfed pistol. NEVER. Rain, snow, high heat, high humidity... They've never failed me. 8 round mags, tru-feeds, Zetas, I've used them all and they've all jammed to varying degrees. Not really by any particular fault of the mag, but just because the only way to get a mag to reliably feed a stack of paintballs vertically is to use a spring that's strong enough to deform the paint over time. This can be mitigated by choosing tougher paint (at the expense of break ability on target), or eliminated with first strikes (see cost and field allowance issues), but for the average player who's a slave to FPO it can get frustrating very quickly. Since I play in scenarios all over the east coast and sometimes across the country I want gear that can work anywhere with minimal tinkering and frustration. That's why I don't use pistols with removable box magazines.

Most people, however, haven't played with enough different pistol types (and mods) to really know what I'm talking about. But with a few notable exceptions I'd bet most of the ones that have, will stick with a springfeed.

As for manufacturers, who knows.... Many of them are still burying their heads in the sand trying to cling to tournament ball to save them, the rest don't have much capital to risk so I'd be surprised to see more pistol offerings outside of niche shops like Palmers or other custom air smiths.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 06-03-2015 at 12:36 PM.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
10 round tubes for life!

Yeah, it really does seem like unless we manage to get a different company to start making spring feed pistols, the last ones made will be the SA-17 and the T68 Gen3. They're good pistols... it's just a sad note to leave on jumping into the magfed train,
Old 06-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I've never had a jam with a springfed pistol. NEVER. Rain, snow, high heat, high humidity... They've never failed me.

Most people, however, haven't played with enough different pistol types (and mods) to really know what I'm talking about. But with a few notable exceptions I'd bet most of the ones that have, will stick with a springfeed.
That's where I'm at. I looooooove my UltraZeus (I really need to put up pictures). I can't help but wonder if some of the aversion to top-mounted sprinfeeds is that they make the marker look less realistic/milsim and the manufacturer worries that they'll lose the weekend warrior crowd.

Quote:
This is why I prefer them. I don't need to carry 20 magazines, and no second step to reload on the field (as in: fill mag and then insert).

Quote:
Yeah, it really does seem like unless we manage to get a different company to start making spring feed pistols, the last ones made will be the SA-17 and the T68 Gen3. They're good pistols... it's just a sad note to leave on jumping into the magfed train,
I had a SA-17 and REALLY wanted to like it; it even had the pre-nerf CO2 clips. Unfortunately, the spring feed didn't feed as smooth as a top-mounted one and chopped a bit. The feed knob was also soooooo stiff that it was tough to open and close. If I had another, I'd probably tap the knob for a set screw and cut a channel into the housing so I could spin it using that rather than trying to grip that tiny-*** knob.

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
10 round tubes for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I had a SA-17 and REALLY wanted to like it; it even had the pre-nerf CO2 clips. Unfortunately, the spring feed didn't feed as smooth as a top-mounted one and chopped a bit. The feed knob was also soooooo stiff that it was tough to open and close. If I had another, I'd probably tap the knob for a set screw and cut a channel into the housing so I could spin it using that rather than trying to grip that tiny-*** knob.
I know Rap4 is still trying to nuke their T68 stock, it's going for cheap and I feel is actually quite the reliable pistol. Never had problems with it so far, and I had it modded for a Lever Changer, freak boring (this was an experiment in of itself, it works so now RedNeckSniper will get more work later), and ty did a top load mod. Everything works like a charm and I don't think I'd trade it for anything. Just need to keep one or two parts that are unique to the gun in stock and the rest are off of STBB parts. I could keep it running for years.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
I know Rap4 is still trying to nuke their T68 stock, it's going for cheap and I feel is actually quite the reliable pistol. Never had problems with it so far, and I had it modded for a Lever Changer, freak boring (this was an experiment in of itself, it works so now RedNeckSniper will get more work later), and ty did a top load mod. Everything works like a charm and I don't think I'd trade it for anything. Just need to keep one or two parts that are unique to the gun in stock and the rest are off of STBB parts. I could keep it running for years.
Ooooo, I'd love to see some pics of that!

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms