mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Confronting the Shadow

Core ZX trigger/sear adjustment

Hey guys,

So I just picked up a Core Zx off the bay. Changed out the striker oring and it seemed to work well. Except every twentieth shot or so the gun would "rapid fire" so to speak and the bolt would not recock.

So it seems as though the trigger needs to be adjusted - when I took the grip frame off I noticed that the trigger wasn't tripping the sear. I'm just wondering how to go about adjusting the trigger in order to get it to trip the sear.

FYI - the Core Zx is identical to the Warsensor Zeus G1

Thanks in advance to all who help

Feedback

"Come on you apes. You want to live forever?" -Johnny Rico
"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
packersrule729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

The sear is only in a position to be tripped when the hammer is pushing it forward. There is no "adjustment". If it's worn out you can sometimes reshape them with an India or Arkansas stone but it's not guaranteed. Look at the tip of the sear that engages the hammer, it should be a sharp edge, if it looks rounded it's worn out.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Confronting the Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
The sear is only in a position to be tripped when the hammer is pushing it forward. There is no "adjustment". If it's worn out you can sometimes reshape them with an India or Arkansas stone but it's not guaranteed. Look at the tip of the sear that engages the hammer, it should be a sharp edge, if it looks rounded it's worn out.
Great, thank you for the insight! Yeah, so there's definitely not a sharp edge on the sear... I wonder if there's any other way I can mod it...

But PistolRogue, you're the pro here. Any other frames that work with this Zeus type that I could replace it with? Or do I really have any options outside of re shaping the sear?

Feedback

"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Old 07-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Its a Spyder clone only in a pistol. If you don't want to sharpen the sear you can get another at your local shop or on ebay for a couple of bucks. You can also look for an electronic grip off a Spyder clone.

Also check to see that the o-ring on the front of the bolt is there and in good shape. A lot of the time someone lubes it with WD40 and destroys all the O-rings. ATF transmission fluid is a cheep O-ring friendly lube.
newmaticarsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Confronting the Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmaticarsenal View Post
Its a Spyder clone only in a pistol. If you don't want to sharpen the sear you can get another at your local shop or on ebay for a couple of bucks. You can also look for an electronic grip off a Spyder clone.

Also check to see that the o-ring on the front of the bolt is there and in good shape. A lot of the time someone lubes it with WD40 and destroys all the O-rings. ATF transmission fluid is a cheep O-ring friendly lube.
Are you saying that just the sears or the entire grip frame from Spyders are interchangeable?

Feedback

Old 07-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
10 round tubes for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersrule729 View Post
Are you saying that just the sears or the entire grip frame from Spyders are interchangeable?
I wanna say the sear, but it WOULD be interesting to see if the entire grip frame is...
Zeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Confronting the Shadow

I'll have to do some hands on investigation then. Unless someone knows the answer

Feedback

Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm really not sure of cross compatibility, which is why I've bought a few parts guns over the years and held on to parts like sears and hammers because those are the only wear parts I'm not sure I'll be able to find replacements for down the road. O-rings are easy since they're all standard and pierce seals as well. Sharpening the sear should work, you just want to use a nice flat stone and focus only on the small back surface, and not changing the angle, just keeping the same angle and removing only as much material as is necessary. How many times you can do this before the sear is no good, I have no idea.

It does have the added benefit of making the trigger pull smoother, just like a good trigger job on a real steel pistol.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 07-19-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Confronting the Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I'm really not sure of cross compatibility, which is why I've bought a few parts guns over the years and held on to parts like sears and hammers because those are the only wear parts I'm not sure I'll be able to find replacements for down the road. O-rings are easy since they're all standard and pierce seals as well. Sharpening the sear should work, you just want to use a nice flat stone and focus only on the small back surface, and not changing the angle, just keeping the same angle and removing only as much material as is necessary. How many times you can do this before the sear is no good, I have no idea.

It does have the added benefit of making the trigger pull smoother, just like a good trigger job on a real steel pistol.
Okay, I'll try sharpening it. Should I sharpen from the sides, or on the top/bottom as well

Feedback

Old 07-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

You want to work only on the surface the arrow points to, by holding that surface flat on a sharpening/honing stone or some fine sandpaper taped to a flat surface. Just rub it back and forth keeping the contact surface flat. If you let it rock at all you will start to round it which is what you don't want. The idea is to stone it until the corner that locks into the hammer is nice and straight and sharp, not rounded over.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 07-21-2015 at 01:13 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms