mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pistol drills

I would like to know some of the practice drills some of you use to hone your skills on the field while of the field.
Obviously exercise like moderate running for endurance, and medium weights for hand and arm strength, and basic target practice. But in addition to that?
The one I am working at is what I call the doorway drill.
AT A distance from the target of your normal engagement range, with a torso size target. I use 10-12 paces. Somewhere around 30-40 feet. I put to things on the ground about 3 feet apart, start outside of them, back to the target gun in hand, step between them with a half turn, fire 2 shots, and, hit or miss, step to the other side of the 2 objects with a 180.
I do this strong hand, then off hand, eventually I'll do it akimbo. I am going pretty slow now, and plan on stepping up the speed as my accuracy gets better. After all, the exitmemt of a game makes you faster, it doesn't make you more accurate.
What do you guys do to get good at putting balls on guys?
Istobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

Brass and Wood Fan
Paging agentsmith!

Simple answer from me, and I don't have a ton of time on pistol primary play, but what has helped me the most was just sitting at the local field between games and fire without looking down the sights at various stationary targets. Over time, you will still to learn where you are aiming without needing sights to get you there and you will be able to shoot from muscle memory on target.

That, and practice reloading while crouching instead of from a comfortable standing position.

Ganon's Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Welcome back buddy! And GanonsGrin is your brother? He is the devil
GanonsGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

Things I do at home without actually shooting:
- Reloading. Sometimes I practice reloading while watching TV intentionally not looking at what I'm doing to get the feel and muscle memory down, I will grab a handfull of mags and just cycle through them. I don't do this a lot as you can get pretty proficient at it over time but if I haven't been playing for a while like over the winter its a nice warm up to refresh that muscle memory.

- Trigger pull. just sight something and practice your trigger pull making sure your not pulling your marker off target when your pulling the trigger, when you shoot limited paint and every shot needs to count this can help keep those shots on target reducing strays. you can also use this time to ensure your using a good grip technique checking for things like holding the marker level not letting the nose dive or rise, unless your shooting up or down at targets most of the time things are level with you up close or at a distance so why not train to hold your marker level.

- Movement. like you mentioned you can practice moving while holding a target like keeping your marker trained on a doorway. train both moving upright and moving crouched to minimize your profile or for passing quickly under window type settings. when I do these types of drills I like to focus on moving quick and quiet, I've ran up on people before who later told me they did not here a thing as I ran up and caught them by total surprise.

- Snap shooting. You can practice this by working on stance and torso movement. some people like to lean their torso out from behind cover some people like to roll their torso out from behind cover, find what works best for you and master it learning to pick a target and visualize it through the wall and snapping out onto target keeping a small profile.

you can practice the endurance of maintaining a marker in an up and ready position by finding some weight and practicing "Crush Curls". Instead of holding the weight in your hand/fist Crush it between both hands holding it with your palms facing each other and curl trying to extend your elbows completely at the bottom of each rep with the weight stretched away from your body. I usually try not to lower the weight below my waist with my arms fully extended and will often pause in this bottom position for a moment before completing the curl. squatting is another good exercise since you might find yourself behind a low bunker for a while practicing good squat form will make hanging out behind small cover a lot more bearable.

if your somewhere that you can load and shot I would recommend working on muscle memory so you can work yourself to point and shoot without needing to aim like GanonsGrin mentioned, in the heat of things having to aim to hit a target will slow you down.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
I get angry at the people I work with, so that when I'm at the field pretending the other team is them, I'm more motivated to hit them.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I used the same technique with Paintball guns as I did with my bow. With the bow, I'd go out with my buddy Kenny, and we'd roam the woods, picking targets for the other to shoot, at random unknown distances. We'd use "Judo" points so we'd not lose too many arrows, and where we'd roam was a "party" area so there were lots of Bud cans to ventilate. He and I did the same with Paintball guns, he'd pick a target for me to shoot, I'd either hit it or miss. If I missed, I'd shoot it until I hit it, then he'd do the same. Next target, I'd pick for him. We'd spend all day doing this, and as you can imagine, we're pretty good shots with either the bow or the Paintball gun.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
FNG

This, about proprioception by Agent Smith, changed the way I shoot with a pistol...
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ml#post1612968 ....I pop soda cans with my .22 Crosman as fast as I can point n shoot.

Edit..the thing with the books....that especially got me putting the pistol in the same place every time

Last edited by Soolio; 05-05-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Soolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Point Blank for the Playstation. No, really! Makes for some great "first shot" snapshooting.

On the field though, there's a lot to be said for loading your marker with one ball and going out with it like that - once you start getting comfortable making those shots count (and more importantly, getting into position), then the next time you go out loaded you'll be a serious contender.

STRIDERS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG

This is the part...
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
One thing I thought of as I read this over, that I was taught when I was young, is shareable.
When I inherited my SingleSix at 14, it was one of two bought with consecutive serial numbers in 1953 by my Uncle Robert(my namesake) and my Uncle Danny. I told my Uncle Danny I wanted to learn to shoot like he did. He could bounce a tennis ball with his gun hand in the driveway and hit it 5 times with his single six before it touched ground again.
Here's what he showed me.
You take a shelf about solar plexus high and set two books face down next to each other with about a 3 inch gap between them. They should be only slightly taller than the height of your pistol, then stack another on top of each so your muzzle has half an inch clearance or so height wise. Lay another book as a bridge across so you have a stack of books with a 3" by 3" or so gap in the center.
Stand facing the shelf squarely with your pistol in it's holster, the hole should be opposite dead center of your chest. Position yourself so that you can just touch the shelf at the bottom of the gap with your fingertips without twisting. With your normal hand draw the pistol and stick the muzzle in the hole slowly. Take as long as you can stand before you speed up a little, it is a point of honor not to rush. The muzzle should be coming in in the exact center of the gap, ignore the size of the gap and stare at the center each time. When you feel you can't go any faster, then scoot the books in a little. Slow back down on purpose but ramp the speed slightly faster back to full. Then quit focusing on the hole and simply stare at the whole shelf as you practice. Widen your focus slowly until it's dependable without dragging your eye to the gap as you draw.
Once you get to a point where you can draw and stick your pistol in with the books tightly spaced, as fast as you can and never knock them or move them, proprioception will render the use of sights for anything within 100' unnecessary. Forget them and just point and shoot. In no time you'll wonder what those things on top of your pistol are for...
An important thing about grip. Alot of the BS people are taught with realsteel pistols is all about recoil management. In fact they're not really teaching anything nowadays except that at the expense of accuracy. Your grip on any pistol should only be to the front strap and the backstrap. The side panels(unless custom crafted to your precise hand) should not touch your palm:

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...ium/grip21.JPG

As my Grandpa said, you should be able to slide a popsicle stick down the side of the grip and out the bottom. When you do this and don't tighten your fingertips you can bend your wrist straight up and down and see that the pistol is on the right axis. This, if done right, eliminates sideways muzzleflip in both sixguns and automatics. It's tough at first to learn to relax your fingertips with the rest of your finger tense, but it can be done and gives you an excuse to handle a pistol!
Holding this way uses your wrist to transfer recoil through leverage into your forearm with realsteel and gets you back on target faster in the long run.

EDIT: See I already had to fix by adding twice and this is basic training! It's hard to say this stuff in english unless both people practice something that gives you language to talk about movement.

Rob
Soolio is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms