mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Eko valve?

Anyone try putting a spider Eko valve in a Zeus or the like? Was just wondering if it would fit. Do they use a lighter spring? It looks to me like they improve efficiency by needing less force to open, there for needing less spring pressure, and less air used to recock.

And as an aside, am I the only one who thought the sa17 was a tippmann style valve rather than a spyder type valve?
Spider is still the most efficient valve design I guess.
Istobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

To be honest I've considered it but the law of percentages isn't in your favor with 12g's. let's say it makes a 10% improvement in efficiency. Your average Zeus is going to get 25 shots, so 10% means you get an extra 2.5 shots. On a marker that gets 1400 shots out of a tank you're getting a whole other pod, which might be worth it. To be honest, the amount of time that will probably be spent getting it to cycle properly (will most likely need to mess heavily with the spring balances) vs the potential reward isn't really worth it.

Not saying it to discourage you, as I could very well be wrong, but what I like most about my Zeus over a spool pistol is that it's revolver-level reliable, and I'll take that over an extra 2 shots per 12g any day.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yes it fits.

No I don't think it will make too much difference.

I have a old style, from my MR2, valve in my Zeus G2+. I get ~22 shots at 300 fps, ~25 usable shots at 270 fps, from a 12 gram.
The old style spyder valve is more closed than the stock Zeus valve, which looks like a Turbo Valve.
I use the stock Zeus spring for the old Spyder valve. Technically the Zeus valve should be higher flow. I had to switch valves because the Zeus one is marred to hell and leaking.

If you have an EKO valve, ya, its worth a try. If not I don't think the cost is justified for a possible few extra shots.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms