mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Has too much crap

USP puncture seal

I really want my USP to work and be nice but it just refuses to cooperate.

So I head to get a new puncture assembly as mine was missing pieces. New one came, seal is as old as my grandma, but it worked. For all of 3 12ies.

I've looked and can't seem to find anything that would work as a drop in seal. Tpx and sa 17esque seals are too thick and crack by the time the 12 gram is tightened enough to pierce. So for that reason I doubt phantom ones would work either. And, all those seals are too thick, and too small to stay in place. The space for the USP seal is 1/2 inch wide.

So I thought about making my own, I could get a sheet and try to punch some out, but I've read that just by hand you can only do softer urethane, and I would need harder.

So I've ordered a rod of 1/2 inch urethane rod and a razor saw and miter box, and we'll try that.

Has anyone else had this issue and how did you solve it now that I've already gone and spent money on it?
smiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

The SA17 is based on USP internals, if I'm not mistaken. Might be worth grabbing a parts kit from one of those to see if the seal is compatible?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've had luck with my Zeus using plumbers gasket maker kits.

Comes with a few different materials, rubber, thick paper, and a cork like material. I punched out some of the cork sheet and it sealed up fine. Seems to last so long as I don't vent a full 12 on it, blow it out.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Has too much crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
The SA17 is based on USP internals, if I'm not mistaken. Might be worth grabbing a parts kit from one of those to see if the seal is compatible?
I also have an sa17 with 2 rebuild kits. The lower tubes are basically the same except the puncture assemblies and I think the cupseals are slightly different as well. The USP's punctire assembly has a smaller od, different seal, and very different pierce pin. The sa 17 seals are very similar in size to tpx ones, smaller than what I need and too thick.

That's an interesting note seajay, I'll try one of those if my attempt fails.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Has too much crap

My redneck chopped urethane seals are ugly, but they work. If I over tighten the 12ie it breaks the seal so I just have to remember not to over tighten them.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms