mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Merc with a mouth

Starting out in airsoft?

We should have a begginers guide like we do for paintball and what not. I'm considering getting into airsoft but I'm not sure what I need! Let's hear some suggestions.

I'm gonna pop some masks,
only got 20 balls in my hoppa,
I'm a killin,
slidin in a bunka,
this is f*cking awesome
DevilOneActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
For Your Health

PPS Fan
Basically all the startup items for safety are the same as paintball. You can play with a mask or shooters glasses (so long as they are properly rated)

When it comes to gear (LBV and such) I've learned that simple is better. A basic chest rig or a simple belt with magazine pouches will be more than enough for a weekend rec game. If you wanted, you could go even simpler.

Take your gun, and clamp two hi-caps together. Stuff your pockets with 10 round tubes if bb's and use them to load your empty hi-caps. They can even be wound and loaded while In combat.

Using that load out, your startup cost should be less than 350$ or even well below.

Always get a smart charger (30$) and a spare battery (20-50$). The gun of choice is mostly personal preference but I would stay with AK's M4/16's and mp5's.

The brand is also very important but I'm typing on an iPhone with a brokenm screen, amend will explain later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
Did you create an account on here JUST to talk about your fascination with Britney Spears, or do you play paintball on the side as well?
Wabaanimkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

KWA is a good brand that's bullet proof.

When I played I used a 10 dollar ebay rig to carry mags. Its just like paintball, lots of fancy options but almost everything does the same basic thing.

Also, like paintball get the better bb's. They are still super cheap compared to paintballs and shoot better.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
For Your Health

PPS Fan
KWA is a brand I wouldn't recommend. I've owned several and seen the most bizarre breakdown ever.

Speaking for their AEG's,Performance wise they are great. Good hop-up, nice barrels and the Gen2 M4's have a nice body build and finish. Internals I've seen some things man, and some stuff.

One that I owned (gen1) somehow warped its body inward (think hourglass) and would snap the selector plate in two.

Another (gen2) had it's motor grab the wires and pulled them with enough force in such a small amount of time that my trigger contacts ended up in my motor housing. This same one also blew its piston into a million pieces for no reason whatsoever (first magazine run through it). no jam, no hop fauilure, no bad bb. it just died.

the double action pistols have a horrible trigger pack built and they seem to be built from a less than quality monkey metal (compared to other monkey metals too) they will pull themselves apart like twizzlers over mild periods of use.

the other gen1 I've worked on decided one day to be a pansy. It's motor suddenly no longer had the strength to pull the spring. It would spin freely, and worked fine outside of the gearbox, but when it was inside it just couldnt pull it. please note: this wasnt my first rodeo and I checked for a jammed gearbox. I could spin the gears with my finger....the motor could not.

The only other KWA in my area is a G1 RIS. It works great to this day (6 years of heavy skirmishing).

KWA is the reason I moved to classic guns. Even though they're not perfect, they don't have gearboxes filled with gremlin poo.

I'm also really unlucky too.... take my word with a grain o' salt.

Quote:
Did you create an account on here JUST to talk about your fascination with Britney Spears, or do you play paintball on the side as well?
Old 05-17-2015, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

I had a gen2 m4 with 0 issues and the pistol im trying to sell has never had an issue and its run only on propane. Weird.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I can second the gremlins in KWA rifles. Kit took me a long time to work them out of my LM4 but now that I have she is purring like a kitten granted it is also gas blow back vs electric but still KWA.

I'd recommend looking around. You can wind up with a good starting kit for about $200, what kind of rifle are you looking for? Comfort is key, all the platforms pretty much use the same guts si it's really about cool guy factor
Peppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Merc with a mouth

Well I figure I want to start as a kind of medium Riflemen carrying 4-5 mags and as far as rifles go I think I would enjoy a SCAR, HK 416 or maybe even a Tavor! I'm a big real steel fan so having some of my favorite carbines in a "paintball-like" setting would be pretty darn cool. Also what are some of the real quality websites considering there is an absolute HORDE of airsoft retailer websites but I'm trying to avoid the poorly made cheap junk.

I'm gonna pop some masks,
only got 20 balls in my hoppa,
I'm a killin,
slidin in a bunka,
this is f*cking awesome
DevilOneActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
For Your Health

PPS Fan
https://www.evike.com/products/45416/

I've been using, and Evike for about seven years now.

Shortyusa is where I buy my batteries bb's and chargers and sometimes guns. paying the standard shipping will have the package at my door in 2 days. (I'm in michigan and they are in NJ)

Evike is for internals, guns , and sometimes tac gear. They have a great selection and easy to navigate site. Be wary about internals though. Know exactly what you are looking for, and make sure thats what they are selling you. They dont do the greatest job explaining some of their inventory.

AirsoftGI is also another nice place and So is redwolf, ShopWGC, and Ehobbyasia. the past 3 mentioned are all overseas though. shipping will be expensive but they have a greater selection and a lower price.

Edit: don't use shortyusa anymore, they have gone under but continue to operate their website and take peoples money. I thought i'd just update here in case somebody accidentally stumbles across my review.

Quote:

Last edited by Wabaanimkii; 12-27-2016 at 01:54 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Special BB Squad (Airsoft)