mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Biodegradability

Hey all, I've been watching all the first strike threads lately going nuts, and rather than muddle the threads, I came here to ask you guys with more experience.

A major issue lots of players have with First Strike rounds is bio/photodegradability (or lack thereof, at least on timescale players expect). I've heard there are also bio/photodegradable airsoft pellets, but I'm curious as to how widespread they are used vs non-degradable pellets. I'm under the impression that in terms of volume, there's probably a lot more pellets being flung than First Strikes. Is this an ongoing concern in the airsoft community as well?
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
For Your Health

PPS Fan
biodegradable pellets will degrade from exposure to moisture and sunlight. the fastest degrading ones will be gone in about in hour of submersion whereas the longest ones will take a few days.

This translates to about a week, or a year out in the elements. they ratio is becoming increasingly bio. 5 years ago bio's were more expensive and less consistant, as well as being sold in smaller packs. now they are barely more expensive, are made in high quality, and come in the same volume.

I'd say easily 60/40 ratio in my place favoring non bios. perhaps more towards bio's in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
Did you create an account on here JUST to talk about your fascination with Britney Spears, or do you play paintball on the side as well?
Wabaanimkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Our landlord wouldn't allow us to run airsoft games unless we guaranteed to use only bio BBs. Most of the commercial outdoor fields seem to be using only bio BBs from what I've seen.

Of course the commercial field on the Native Reservation allows regualr BBs because Natives apparently care more about the environment in the media than in the real world.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
For Your Health

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Our landlord wouldn't allow us to run airsoft games unless we guaranteed to use only bio BBs. Most of the commercial outdoor fields seem to be using only bio BBs from what I've seen.

Of course the commercial field on the Native Reservation allows regualr BBs because Natives apparently care more about the environment in the media than in the real world.

I live on an Indian reservation. I'd say about 70-90 percent of the folks here don't give a damn about the environment. It's sad really. We have a community trash cleanup every few months when the snow is gone and only about 100 people show up. loss of culture is a hell of a thing.

I'd say its on par with most places though. The general attitude seems to be "I won't be alive in X years, so why should I give a damn"

All that depressing social analysis aside, We've been moving more towards bio's. Since they are being sold in giant bulk bags (we're all poor and buy ammo together) it will certainly cut down on the plastic. thankfully were not hosers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
Did you create an account on here JUST to talk about your fascination with Britney Spears, or do you play paintball on the side as well?
Wabaanimkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

They should make them out of "weed and feed" or something....These things are all over the ground at one of the locals that allow them. Used to be a bit of gelatin from paintballs and now it's piles of little plastic beads that will be there forever.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
They should make them out of "weed and feed" or something.....
Brilliant. I could sit in my bedroom window and plink crabgrass.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Anyone know if sunchips still uses the rapid degrading bag?

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Ha, no they discontinued the biodegradable bag because they broke some decibel limit or something. I had a bag once, nobody wanted to touch it because it was so loud, it sat in the pantry forever. Finally opening it sounded like the walls falling down.
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
I drive the boat.

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

I have a small pile of bbs sitting in the dirt on a trail up to my sales shack. We ran a private Airsoft event and it was supposed to be bio only, they've been sitting there reminding me why I don't do Airsoft for 5 years and haven't changed a bit.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Looking at reviews on Amazon of two different Biodegradable BBs, I've seen reviews, and answered questions, that show no appreciable degradability (some folks tested up to a year).

Doesn't mean they aren't biodegradable, it just may mean, 'not in the short term'. In terms of consumer expectations, "biodegradable" is big enough to drive a truck through.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Special BB Squad (Airsoft)