mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Nerd

^Just to be clear, does it work with the HPA tank without the secondary reg? Because if not, then Trbo's probably right.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

WTB Cooper T PGP bolt! PM me if you're selling one!
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sorry I thought I responded to this earlier.

Yes, with hpa direct to valve it cycles. But:

I repeated some of my tests from earlier and found that the marker does cycle on hpa, even below 2000 psi, at 550 psi, with med low spring.

At 650 psi input velocity was 250-230-220...pause...230.

With co2 same pressure velocity was 260-270 fps. Increased pressure to 700 and got 270-280 fps.

I added an empty expansion chamber between reg and valve (as volumizer) but didn't see a difference with hpa. Maybe it needed to be right at valve. I was also running out of air at that time and will revisit.

I'd like to see higher velocities then I can tune it down rather than struggling to reach desired velocities.

I have been having these problems since I changed valves. There are differences in valve flute design between pro platinum and old style valves. Maybe that has something to do with it.

If the flutes were allowing too much air forward, I would have high velocity but not recock right? That's not it.

If the flutes were restricting air, or if the valve pin hole were smaller, or some other obstruction existed, I would have low velocity but consistent recock, right? That seems more similar but I did have recock issues.

I assume starving for air would have both low velocity and recock issues.

A normal valve spring with my light hammer / spring may have the same symptoms too, I think. I could check to make sure I have the light valve spring in there.

Aside.from that you start getting to the really weird like powertube misalignment or deformation, I think....

Last edited by apamburn; 04-16-2019 at 02:18 AM.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think I got it!

I added a volumizer, made out of a plugged and de-spring'd LPR. (edited to add: THANK YOU THANK YOU for the suggestion!!!)

With the volumizer, and still on med-light main spring, and at about 53* F, I got a good 20 FPS bump:

CO2 : 600 PSI input : 285-295-300 FPS

HPA : 600 PSI input : 288-291-285 FPS

I'm pretty satisfied with that.

I suppose it is possible that the velocity increase is related to having two full tanks, but I'd like to think that it's mostly the volumizer.

(edited to add: going to play with it this weekend and see how it goes. I'll report back afterwards. Can't say thanks enough to everyone for their input )
Name:  20190418_212525.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  198.8 KB

Name:  20190418_212533.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  264.9 KB

Name:  20190418_211817.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  232.7 KB
Old 04-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Woooo! Good to hear that it is up and running again!
BTW, what did you have to do ta plug up the LPR?
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
Woooo! Good to hear that it is up and running again!
BTW, what did you have to do ta plug up the LPR?
I removed the spring inside then drilled and tapped the port in the end cap for a set screw I had laying around. Applied loctite and let cure for full 24 hrs.

The set screw and loctite were Magmoormaster's suggestion and worked great.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

Huh. I assumed when you ask me how to plug the hole that you were talking about a vent hole, not the main port. The port should have already been threaded, you could have just threaded/loctited in the appropriate sized set screw and been done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
Huh. I assumed when you ask me how to plug the hole that you were talking about a vent hole, not the main port. The port should have already been threaded, you could have just threaded/loctited in the appropriate sized set screw and been done with it.
Yeah I absolutely could have, but didn't have a screw with the right threads, so I brute forced it.

Interestingly the vent port isn't blocked at all, but doesn't leak. If push comes to shove I'll give it the same treatment.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann