mcarterbrown.com  

Tournaments Upcoming Tournament Events and Paintball League Chat

Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

NXL Vegas 2019 viewer observations

Anyone else watch?

I had a few observations:

(1) The camera / broadcast was way better than any year I've ever seen. Camera / boom positions were perfect and transitions effectively captured the game. Commentary included replay of important plays. A family friend entirely unfamiliar with paintball was over for dinner and was able to enjoy it after I gave a short explanation of rules. The game still suffers from lack of a central point of focus.

(2) Ads included commercials for fields which I thought was cool but I can only imagine is ultimately ineffective. The commercials were directed to people that haven't ever played, extolling the virtues of the fields rental fleets and so forth. In addition to being a much wider audience than their target (ads for fields in tx don't mean much for viewers in Utah Like me) the fact is that if you were watching the ad on the NXL broadcast you wouldn't be renting. However, it was cool to see some fields across the nation.

(3) The field layout shook things up I think. There seemed to be enough variations of strategies to be used that there was variety in how games went. Most successful seemed to be conservative approaches but not always. I think it was an excellent layout.

All in all it was the most enjoyable experience I've had watching tournament paintball.

Anyone else watch? Thoughts?
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Money Pits 'R Us

CCI Phantom Fan
Loved this years broadcast and I watched a lot of it DVR at night.

-D-side Boom camera was clutch. They need way more of that.
-Layout was refreshing an super aggressive. Even slow points were pretty fun gun battles.
-Golden Barrel top gun award is awesome.
-Love seeing Aftermath make it to Semis in their first pro event.
-New England teams had a rough go of it, but interested to see if the reformed Hurricanes can make a year of it in Semi-Pro.
-J-Rab is going to be a beast all year. He's finally treating paintball like a job instead of a thing he's just good at.

I think that about covers it.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah he was a freaking beast. It was strange to see dynasty get crushed by red legion, then dynasty won against another team (forget who), then got crushed by red legion again, then red legion got crushed by (I think) infamous.

It was just kind of inconsistent which is neither good. Or bad, but again I think might highlight incompatible strategy variations.

I'll definitely pay to watch the next one.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I was disappointed the argument involving a NY team didn't turn into a brawl though lol :-)

And what was with the ROF / mode violations yesterday?
Old 03-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Money Pits 'R Us

CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
I was disappointed the argument involving a NY team didn't turn into a brawl though lol :-)

And what was with the ROF / mode violations yesterday?
NYX are def bringing back that old school smack talk, which is great.

The ROF violations seem to be a board reset issue with some of the CS2s. It seems after battery changes the markers were reverting to out of the box modes. Be interested to see if PE releases an update or has a statement.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
(2) Ads included commercials for fields which I thought was cool but I can only imagine is ultimately ineffective. The commercials were directed to people that haven't ever played, extolling the virtues of the fields rental fleets and so forth. In addition to being a much wider audience than their target (ads for fields in tx don't mean much for viewers in Utah Like me) the fact is that if you were watching the ad on the NXL broadcast you wouldn't be renting. However, it was cool to see some fields across the nation.
Some of the webcast is pumped out for free on social media like youtube and facebook live. During these portions Gosports is hopeful that people will "share" the webcast and there is potential for those commercials to bring some new players out to the fields, but I agree that this is an unlikely occurrence and those commercials are pretty out of place. Hopefully in the future they won't be misplaced and prospective new players will see them as the webcast spreads and becomes more friendly to non-paintball players.

I've heard a lot about this event's webcast, I can't wait to go back and watch it!

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.

I also work on other markers, PM for info.

Dealer for: Planet Eclipse, Ninja, GI/Empire/Tippmann/etc, Dye, Exalt, GoG, Valken, HK, GXG, CP, Push

PM me if you're looking for something. No, I will not sell it to you for cheaper than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Part of owning a cocker is problem solving
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbyrne233 View Post
NYX are def bringing back that old school smack talk, which is great.

The ROF violations seem to be a board reset issue with some of the CS2s. It seems after battery changes the markers were reverting to out of the box modes. Be interested to see if PE releases an update or has a statement.
They released a statement saying they are looking into the issue and have the exact markers from the violations. Also they are releasing a firmware update to limit the default rate of fire to 10 bps so if one falls into default mode it will be okay in the NXL.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

I haven't watched any of the webcast, but I did play the event, so.......

The layout is both aggressive and slow... Playing it with 5 man teams is very challenging. The snake is very hard to deal with, but oddly it didn't seem like much of a focus. I saw a lot of moves up the middle, which again was odd; the 50 doesn't give you much. And since I got shot off the break over the top of the 50, I wish it was taller lol.

I wouldn't say I love the layout overall, but it provided some interesting and unique challenges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Tournaments