mcarterbrown.com  

Videos The posting, making, and producing of videos

Old 12-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
MAINEiac

Using a 20 oz CO2 tank with hpa.

I have a co2 tank with burst disk rated for 3,000 psi. Could I buy a 3,000 psi regulator and put it on my CO2 tank? I know hpa tanks are rated higher than Co2, but if I put in, say, 2,500 psi of air, would that be acceptable?
DanK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK83 View Post
I have a co2 tank with burst disk rated for 3,000 psi. Could I buy a 3,000 psi regulator and put it on my CO2 tank? I know hpa tanks are rated higher than Co2, but if I put in, say, 2,500 psi of air, would that be acceptable?
There is a rating stamped on the side of the tank. Most CO2 tanks are 1800psi. But if you havea 3K burst disk your tank might be a 3k tank. If it is your alright. If its not, you can install a reg a nd fill to 1800, but make sure you put an 1.8K burst disk and no one fills to 3k assuming its a 3k tank.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

co2 tanks are not rated to handle the same pressures. a 3k burst disc is a bad idea, that means your tank would burst before the burst disk. for the price of a new reg you could get a used steel tank. steel air tanks are cheap. if you handed your co2 tank to me and told me to fill it i would say no and find you a spare air tank. saving a few dollars ins't worth the risk to me.
paintballsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

3K burst disks are the norm for co2. they are not indicating operating pressure.
3k psi tanks use a 5K burst disk and 4500 psi tanks use a 7.5K burst.

They use to sell a reg for co2 tanks, I have one somewhere, the gauge only goes up to 1800, and its stamped right on the side "do not fill over 1800 psi".

A 20 oz co2 tank has roughly the same volume as a 48/3000, but can only be filled to 1800 psi. take a 48/3k, fill it to 1800psi and see how many shots you get(not many).

Dont waste your time.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Co2 tanks have a 3k burst disc as standard, but they are not rated for repeat use at that pressure. Co2 tanks have much thinner walls than 3k HPA tanks of the same material. Trying to just "not fill it all the way" is a bad idea. Paintball gauges typically aren't very accurate, there's a very good chance of someone at some point filling it more than they should.

There's a reason the bottles look and seem different. A 3k HPA bottle is much beefier than a Co2 tank, a Co2 tank should not be subject to the same use as a 3k HPA bottle.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
MAINEiac

I bought a Tippmann 20 oz Co2 tank and the burst disk says 3K.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
MAINEiac

The tank is etched with 1,800. I guess I need to buy a hpa tank. 48CI/8K I think that was the rating of one of the hpa tanks I saw. Carbon fiber tanks are too expensive for woods ball in my opinion. I'll grab an aluminum with a nice regulator. Ninja or Empire perhaps
Old 12-23-2016, 02:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Right, it "bursts" at 3000 psi. The tank is rated for probably 1800 psi, it will say on the side of the tank somewhere. Some part the codes on the side will have a 1800 or a 3000 somewhere in it. Closest 9 oz I have on hand says DOT-3E1800 on the side of the tank near the bottom. 1800 psi is the rating of the tank, so that's the max pressure that should be used in it. That's not the pressure needed to blow it up, but the pressure that can safely be used in it day after day, year after year.

A 3000psi HPA tank I have, that happens to be about the same size as a 9 oz CO2, says DOT3AL 3000 on it. That can safely be used at 3000 psi.

The reg on that tank has 5000 psi burst disk. Why not a 3000 psi burst disk? Well, it would burst every time you filled the tank to max, and that wouldn't be very useful. The burst disks are always higher than the rating of the tanks. Generally if the burst disk blows you DID SOMETHING WRONG, it's been years since I had one blow on any of my tanks.

EDIT: Looks like you figure it out while I was typing. And today nearly all HPA tanks are rated for either 3000 psi, or 4500 psi. There used to be some 5000 psi tanks but they were never really popular since very few places could fill that high and there wasn't much benefit. All non-fiber wrapped tanks are 3000 psi that I know of.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK83 View Post
The tank is etched with 1,800. I guess I need to buy a hpa tank. 48CI/8K I think that was the rating of one of the hpa tanks I saw. Carbon fiber tanks are too expensive for woods ball in my opinion. I'll grab an aluminum with a nice regulator. Ninja or Empire perhaps
Ninja is definitely my recommendation! Best regulators in the business! I've seen a lot of tanks from every company, and the non-Ninja's have a much higher rate of blown discs, leaky valves, fill nipple leaks, bonnet separation, or bonnet threads locking into guns or stripping. The tanks are typically a couple of dollars more, but are definitely worth it!

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
MAINEiac

Thank you for the advice! I'll be getting a Ninja if I decide to go the hpa route. Hpa would be better here in Maine playing blizzard ball due to the cold temps.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Videos