mcarterbrown.com  

The Yard Sale If it is non-paintball related, then you should drop her off at our Yard Sale. Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean someone else might not want it.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
trophy husband

custom pill cases

I'm ready to take orders for these pill boxes. Expect to wait about two weeks for yours to get made and finished. They cost $35 each (including PayPal fees and shipping), and they come in two sizes: small and large.

p3&4 again.JPG

p3&4.JPG

Large:
p4.JPG

Small:
p333.JPG

The large size is about the same as a standard plastic case that you can find anywhere, and it will hold the same amount of pills. Maybe a little less. The small size is...smaller. It will only hold 4 or 5 smaller pills (like Advil). The pockets are not wide enough to hold anything bigger, like gelcaps or multivitamins.

The sliding lids are held in with a detent system. You can see how it works here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXugNmhdZXc

Custom Orders:
I will mill your box from cherry unless you tell me otherwise. Current options for different types of wood are listed at the bottom of this post. If you want something that's not listed, just ask. I can get almost anything from a local woodshop. Or I can order turning wood blanks from eBay. But expect the price to be at least another $10.

Also, it is possible to do custom sizes. I can make a box that's larger than large or smaller than small. I can make it with more or less pockets. I can make the pockets really deep or really shallow. Just send me a PM and tell me what you want. I'll shoot you back a price before I get started.

Current options for wood:
  • cherry
  • walnut
  • purpleheart is $5 extra (small only)

Last edited by rawbutter; 09-07-2019 at 05:12 PM.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
trophy husband

This is what purple heart looks like.

closed.JPG
Old 08-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

This is great and I like the aesthetic.

I'm providing the following link FYI. I know I have allergy issues with some hardwoods and some hardwoods would not be well suited for a pill box for me. This Wood Allergy and Toxicity table may be helpful for you picking suitable woods and for members wanting to buy one. I'm, personally, great with purple wood but any poplar or gum wood would be a no no for me and there are some hardwoods that are contact toxic at high levels (Laburnum and Milky Mangrove in particular would be dangerous for pill boxes).

Wood Allergies and Toxicity Table

Any chance you would make a 2 row version? I have meds I need to take daily AM and PM and currently use a cheap plastic 2 row version but would love to have something like you are making?

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List

Last edited by Grendel; 08-28-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling is hard
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
trophy husband

Thanks so much for that info about wood allergies, Grendel. I had no idea. I'll be sure to consult that if anyone ever wants something unusual.

As for a double box, I'm sure we could figure something out, but the price would be double. Just send me a PM if you're still interested.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
trophy husband

Here are some examples of walnut:

walnut2.JPG

blemish1.JPG

blemish2.JPG

Some of the walnut that I have actually has cracks in it. This is NOT the result of mishandling the wood or tools. I'm simply starting with scraps (because they are free) that already have cracks in the wood. I kinda like it, though. Despite the cracks, the cases are all structurally sound. And I like taking something that would have ended up in the trash otherwise and turning it into something useful.

Last edited by rawbutter; 09-07-2019 at 05:16 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » The Yard Sale