Canon loyalty program:
- Find an old canon, film is ok (at least I got them to accept my Rebel xt)
- Keep an eye out on the canon website for when a refurb that you want pop up.
- Call canon loyalty # and tell them that you want to get a camera under the canon loyalty program.
- They will then ask for the serial number of your old camera.
- After that you can proceed through the ordering as normal.
This is canon loyalty number: 866-443-8002
The loyalty program is phone only.
To response to OP:
I would still go with the 5D if you can ever find them in stock. I just got the 5D last week and the quality of a full frame is just amazing. Keep in mind that I haven't had much of an experience with the 7D outside of playing with them at bestbuy.
Can you share what does your friend mean by the 5D would surfer a lot if you use it with the glass that you currently have? Do you have all EF lens?