View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #46 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
To do this, you would have to combine the physics of it with the statistics. Measuring the average spread of paintballs has been done several times in accuracy tests. Using that and the known BPS you are using, you could determine the window of time and distance the player has to get through from ball to ball. You could set up photo gates and have a runner go through several times to account for the moving extremities triggering early and late in the process. This is still just testing if a runner can fit in the window though. No matter who is doing the running, if they cross the lane at the end of the window they will lose.

Because of that one aspect (timing of the player running into the lane) I don't really care if anyone does the math or not. It has been shown that you can fit through a lane, it just depends on the timing, which is something that the runner can't control, so it's a matter that is out of their hand and essentially boils down to luck.
I agree, and argue it's too complex for most folks here to do it thoroughly if not from a competency standpoint, then a logistical standpoint. Therefore, it'll likely never be done. The broader point being that it's worthless to look for the 'math'.

I agree that in the end, the math doesn't matter. The only thing that the current testing could show (I can't see the data to confirm) is whether or not a given BPS (Between 8 and 15) could render a lane uncrossable.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote