Thread: "rain cover"
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #29 (permalink)
Spider!
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
I hate to be a wet blanket, but this kind of thing is treading on really thin ice. The "rain cover" subterfuge is paper thin, and will provide absolutely no legal protection if you attract the attention of some official type.

A company called BOA (Barrels of America, used to make brass marker barrels like J&J) got raided, their inventory, materials, tools and computers confiscated, and then hauled into court over this kind of thing.

Yes, people have gotten away with selling or trading single handmade units and a few of the remaining factory bits from back in the day, but I suspect that the moment somebody starts manufacturing them, they'll be made an example of.

Fair warning.

Doc.
I've heard that the BATF (I think they changed their name lately) has become more sensible in such matters, but to rely on that is probably unwise. Even those comments were based upon particular agent comments; not just second or third hand, but the origin was an opinion of one agent out of many.

Aside from Janet Reno's activities, the secret service was busy the year before she came to power. I remember this one.

Steve Jackson Games: Hacker

You can be sensible and within your rights, but they can still turn you upside down to see if anything falls out. Sure it's rare, but like Doc says, you don't want that kind of attention. Mar is cheaper.