View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Patar
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyrne View Post
Gabe,

Here's a structure I use for writing an introduction:

Right off the bat, identify what the paper is broadly about: i.e. Various methods to address bioterrorism on American soil.

Context - next talking about broad areas within the literature - identify those most relevant to the topic. Discuss these in slightly more detail and identify key authors as examples - not too much detail, just enough to let the reader know that you've read what these authors have written.

Issue - what specifically are you looking at? - evaluating measures

Significance - why are you looking at this?

Outline the organization of the paper: first section(s) - discuss key areas of the literature and authors and evaluate what they've done on the topic. Second section - compare measures. Third section (discussion) - What was learned from doing the comparison. Fourth section (conclusion) - How should what you've learned affect how people do things (either in practice or in policy)

I hope this helps,
Colin
This is also typically my favorite format for a lot of my essays. Not only does it make it easier on you to write the paper in a way that doesn't confuse yourself, it's also easy for the reader(s) to follow the information you're throwing at them.

Especially on this sort of subject, Colin's layout will do you a lot of good. As long as you have the evidence and the explanations/justifications to back it up, you need not worry about meeting any sort of length quota, and it'd be easier for your professor/teacher to pick apart your essay. An unstressed teacher is the best teacher!