View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tinman
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
I just bought a used sterling and it is having a few issues. I am hoping mcb can get me on the right path:
I have a modern stp sterling. I am using hpa at 800 psi feed via a palmers stab. When aired up it does not leak. When I pump the gun it opens the valve and vents down the barrel. The venting stops when I take pressure off the valve. I have added some washers to the valve spring. I can now cock the gun when it is not aired up. If i gently and slowly cock the gun the valve will stay closed, However if I pump the gun quickly (with more force) the valve will open and vent. This does not change when I adjust the stab.

A few questions:
The valve spring that came with the sterling is the same size as a phantom valve spring. Is that the right spring? Sterling need what kind of springs ? spyder springs?
Can a sterling normally be cocked when not aired up? I know most nelsons cannot be cocked when degassed.
I am going to remove the stab and feed hpa in at full pressure and see what effect this has. Any other ideas?
The adjustable hammer does not seem to adjust. As I turn the inner screw nothing seems to move to increase tension on the main spring. I am I confused as to how the adjustable hammer is supposed to function? Can these hammers become uncoupled if turned too far?

That is about it for now. MCB I await your wisdom.
I don't know what others call this particular problem but i call it Diving into your valve.. Theres a nut on the front of your marker where your pickup rod enters the marker. The nut acts as a adjustable spacer turn it in a outward motion untill your problem goes away. The nut is retained by your front frame screw loosen it first.

make sure to Remove the washers you added in the valve.

The adjustable hammer is for velocity.

Last edited by Tinman; 03-11-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote