View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Frizzle Fry
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkibbe View Post
Any opinion on the GOG inline barrel? They are only like $35.
My first rule is usually "If you're going to spend money on a barrel, spend money on a (used) kit".

For $35 you can have your pick of just about any used ION barrel ever made (except maybe carbonfiber) and probably have a little left over. If you get just one, look for a bore that won't piss you off when you run into smaller or larger paint - one of the pains when it comes to recball is shooting what the field offers, what you can afford this week, or essentially whatevers available. that's why I usually recommend a kit (even a small one, or one you assemble, with at least "general" 3 bore sizes big, medium and small).

My second rule is "If you're going to spend money on a barrel, spend money on a 'cocker threaded barrel".

That's because resale on "other" threads doesn't seem to exist, or at the very least leaves you taking a big hit, and most markers that people "upgrade" to take Autococker threading. Since you'd be dealing with GOG/SP threads, I'd say if you get a kit try for a Freak or Superfreak whatever they're being marketed as. You can get the back for cheap used, piece together a kit, use the inserts and fronts with other markers, and actually have a chance to get some money back when and if you decide to sell. If you end up keeping it, you'll just have to buy a new back for your new marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkibbe View Post
Any ASA recommendations?
Something that bleeds when degassed is helpful.

As to design, do you like macro out the front or sides? Lever, knob, switch or button? Do you want a dropforward or back? Rail mount or bolt-on? Lots of options based on comfort, play style, function, and looks.

I've found that CPs are a little bulky, but easy to use and install, decent looking, and reliable. I've never had a need to monkey around with them, or fiddle to get a proper grip on the knob, etc. Price isn't exorbitant and there are lots of color options, as well as a choice between dovetail and bolt-on.

I've also had good luck with later generation Dangerous Power RAPS which fit a dovetail, one of the few products they've made that actually works. The earlier generations are garbage though, beware.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote