View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Overshooting with FSR is inevitable. It already happens with paintballs. I don't see any significantly different threat posed at safe velocities though.

I hope not to play with ballers that embrace that style. I won't return to fields where I observe such.
When I think back to my earliest days, overshooting didn't happen much when rounds cost $7/100, and the ROF was much, much lower. As rounds got cheaper people began to shoot more and at higher ROFs. Further compounding the issue is the rate that paintballs slow down allow someone who's fast on the trigger do belt out 5+ shots before the first ball hits the target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmak View Post
That is a fair point, however I feel that successful fields relize that success in the long run with returning customers will trump the two guys that want to fsr unload. Most fields will not allow ramping, even if it is FPO with walk ons. Rentals are where the money lies and the future of fields. Excessive fsr use may damage the rental business.
The problem is that the vast majority of paintball fields over the last 20yrs, including those that have been in business for at least the majority of that time frame and still around today have failed that litmus test. Case example: Insurance companies are the primary source of "semi-auto only" rules. The playing public and field operators were perfectly happy with the 'double finger trigger' solution. This solutions was designed explicitly to allow higher ROFs than what was possible with a single finger semi thus, rendering the 'semi-auto only' limitation moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Oh I believe FSR's already hurt the rental business. Though the vast majority of FSR users are nice guys, all my buddies who rent are extremely intimidated by them. The thought that someone could sit out of their range and plink dropping accurate shots from out of nowhere is in many ways more intimidating than electro-toting-bonus-ballers. Put yourself in a noob's shoes and think about how that feels. Add full auto FSR to the mix, and I could see many first timers not wanting to come back. It just takes one brat with a dam and a drum mag to ruin a bunch of 10 year old's day.
I've known far many more folks to be literally intimidated (i.e. too scared to come out of a bunker, or just call themselves out, or even start crying if they're young) by high ROFs. Over the past three years, every new player understands the sacrifices a dedicated FS shooter makes (limited capacity, low ROF, and no suppressive fire).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote