mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
X0317

Send a message via AIM to dm6rocker

CCM Fan
Recommendations for a mag build? Long post...

Well, it has come to my attention that I have no incomplete guns in my possession anymore, and with the lack of play time in the winter I find myself needing a project. So, I decided I want to build a nice mag for myself. I'm still very new to them so bear with me, as I may not know what you guys are talking about. But here are my thoughts so far.

Karta body + rail. Expensive and rare, I know. I can work with that.
Sub Zero Feedneck OR CCM Feedneck
Venemous Designs CF Foregrip
DW Fibur barrel, probably 12"
DP Raps ASA (Maybe...undecided on this one)
CCM Universal air fittings

These are the parts I really need suggestions on
Trigger frame (thinking maybe a Y-grip?)
Valve + bolt combo.

My goals for the mag I want to build are to have it as idiot-proof as possible. Low maintenance, efficient, reliable. I don't need it to be a paint hose, as I have no desire to go back to my ROF whore days. No pneu-magging, no electronics, just a simple air-up-and-play gun. But one that does so very sexily. When all is said and done, I want every last piece anodized in the, shiniest gloss black that I could possibly get. Rainman is local to me, so I may go with him.

I would like to know what type of valve + bolt combo would serve this best. I'm not TOO concerned with anti-chop as I never really shoot the extremely brittle tourney paint. I'm more of a rec/outlaw player. I've read in some places that level 7 bolts are more air efficient, which would serve more purpose to me than a level 10. But beyond that, there is not much I know. I'm looking to maximize my shots per fill, but also keep things relatively consistent.

Trigger frame is also a little unknown for me. My current mag has a Logic UMF. Very comfortable, it vaguely reminds me of a CCM 86* frame. If I could adapt one of those to this mag, it would be a match made in heaven for me. But beyond that, I was thinking about maybe trying a Y-Grip, strictly for the sake of trying something new. But I need some more suggestions. RPG's, Chimeras...what does the general consensus say?

Now, I've been stalking AO like crazy trying to learn as much as I can about these things, but any help you guys and gals could lend would be awesome. Like I said, I'm still but a young apprentice with automags. I'm trying to build something that would become my go-to semi. It's going to be expensive in the long run, but it's something I would like to do. So, let me know!

UPDATE: 1/4/11
Well, after the RIDICULOUS amount of snow we got pounded with over here, and over a week of no mail, things finally brightened up. Got all my stuff in yesterday, and let's just say I had a hard time not drooling. The Karta body and rail arrived, along with my Venemous Designs foregrip. Stole a few parts (frame & valve) off my other mag just to get it fully assembled, needed to get a feel for it. It's a bit longer than my other one, which I like.

The anodizing is actually difficult to get a picture of, at least indoors at 1am. It has to be the deepest, darkest black that I have ever seen. The gun just looks like a black void in the pictures, very awesome. It's freakin' beautiful in person. Still in the market for a frame, but I think I have decided on the barrel and the valve. Going to go with the X-valve, Level 10, and I'm looking at the Dye Carbon Fiber Boomstick. Just a sexy looking barrel, looks like it would flow with the gun well, and at a .684 it isn't too big. A bit more money, but nobody seems to have any complaints on them.

Anyway, that's the update so far. If anyone has more recommendations, I'm still happy to hear them. Got a better barrel? Better frame? Let me know!

Last edited by dm6rocker; 01-04-2011 at 01:40 AM.
dm6rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

well, Mags are pretty idiot proof to begin with. i have barely touched mine in the past 3 years, and that was just to give it some oil.

L10 kits aren't for shooting brittle paint, its to prevent chopping. my efficiency actually went up, but i tuned it for ease, not the softest on paint but still bounce worthy.

i like intelliframes, but i haven't shot anything with a Logic or UMF frames. that is more of a style and use issue, not with anything more than that.

i have a regular A.I.R. valve and have not ever had a problem with it. weight savings with an aluminium valve is negligible, as well as i have never out shot it. you have to get pretty high in the bps(over 14 i believe) before that happens, so even if you run a revy with a AIR valve, you'll be fine. plus it cheaper than an X-valve. but for efficiency, you should expect the golden tun with Mags: 10 shots per cubic inch for 3000psi, & 15 shots per cubic inch for 4500psi. no matter what tuning you do, don't expect a case off of a 68ci tank.

the body, foregrips, feednecks, ASAs, are all preferrence, and to a point, the grip frame & triggers. but a L10 kit is just a must unless you like to clean the gun at every day of play, just about.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
I would go level 7 and classic valve. The longnose bolt is great, very few chops. I can stick my finger in the breech and it just kisses my finger before resetting. I have let to see a compelling reason to go to a level 10 or an x-valve. ROF is the only reason touted, and it's not what I'm looking for anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pif View Post
I would go level 7 and classic valve. The longnose bolt is great, very few chops. I can stick my finger in the breech and it just kisses my finger before resetting. I have let to see a compelling reason to go to a level 10 or an x-valve. ROF is the only reason touted, and it's not what I'm looking for anyway.
Level 7 would cause a lot of pain to your finger before it reset.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretweaponevan View Post
Level 7 would cause a lot of pain to your finger before it reset.

No pain at all. I thought it would, but I tested it. Certainly no pain, and it will not chop. I do use a spring instead of a spacer, that may make a difference.

Quote:
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Lvl 7 will/can draw blood....

Go with a X-Valve, the valve can be re-annoed unlike the classic valve and you'll never out shoot it. Grip wise...Go with what you like...Z-Grip, Y-Grip, Single trigger, AGD Double trigger...etc...

Plenty of options.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
X0317

CCM Fan
True about the options. The first time I really started looking into this, my reaction was pretty much

I'm not too worried about anodizing the valve. I think it could actually look pretty cool with the all black, and a bit of stainless on the rear. Outshooting is something I will probably never be worried about, as my Semi loadout consists of a Winchester, and two 50 round pods. I think I may have found a trigger frame to my liking as well, but I will not rule out the Y-Grip.

But my biggest concern is still the valve. From what I've gathered thus far, i have a feeling that a classic valve with a level 7 bolt is my best bet. Like I said ROF is not a concern as I am coming from a strong stock class background. I like the Level 10 for the antichop, but I understand that tuning it can be a royal pain. I've never had to do it before, so I fear the moment I do.

If an X-valve can run with a Level 7 though, I may consider doing that. I'm looking for....how do i put this gently....let's go with hellen keller simple. I'm never going back to CO2 tanks and have no intention to turn this into a pump, so an X-Valve could work.

My mag now is actually quite beefed out from what I understand. I got it in a trade, and it's also my first one. Still have yet to shoot it, but it is a hell of a nice gun. It seems to have just inspired me to make a monster of my own design.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
Obviously I'm going to need to take a video of my level 7, as some of you folks don't believe me. This isn't the first level 7 I've had that's easy on paint either...

What frame are you going with? I love the single finger 45 frame on my Sydarm, it's a Benchmark.

Quote:
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
mag shooter

ok here we go.

i have shot xvalves and classics and i prefer the xvalve for a couple of reasons. 1 you can short stroke a classic valve this can't be done with an rt on/off in an xvalve. 2 weight there is a weight difference and it does matter.

idiot proofing- xvalve rt on/off and working lvl 10 set up and don't touch

xvalves comes with lvl 10's and can be set easily to play and without excessive tuning.

beeing easy on paint- lvl 7 will chop the ball if it is 1/2 way in the breech end of story. the lvl 10 will bounce off of the ball if it is tuned. they both apply the same pressure when the ball is all the way in the breech.

frames-
i like intelli's they are small and comfortable.
single finger benchmark frames are amazing.
not crazy about double finger benchmark frames or airwalk frames. if i were you i would try a triton frame they seem to look a lot like 86 frames.

feedback(http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
X0317

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pif View Post
What frame are you going with? I love the single finger 45 frame on my Sydarm, it's a Benchmark.
Probably going to be the RPG triton. 45's are amazing on pistol setups, but for this, I would like to try something different.

Like superman said, it looks a bit similar to an 86* CCM frame. I gave the benchmark a thought, but I think I'm just not into standard 45 frames anymore. My mag now has an X with level ten, so I could just source that to the new gun. I don't want to leave this one in a nonfunctional state though. It may be worth me getting the X specifically to learn how to tune it. I'm never going to learn without trying, so....

It still seems divided though. For everyone that likes the level ten, there are just as many who say to go with the level seven. I know all about the short stroke from 'cockers, so that's not too much of a concern either. I think i'm going to grab a classic setup anyway, and just try them both.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs