mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Classic rt question

So My rt has not been shot for 8 are more years, I go oil it to air it up(never got to air) and I notice that the bolt seems odd. The bolt was stuck and the bumper had turned in to rubber cement.
I order a rebuild kit and proceed to just replace all seals in the valve.
When I pull the on/off out the pin stays stuck in the valve body.
The valve pin does not want to come out as well.
When I finally get every thing out and cleaned up I notice something odd about the valve pin, one of those little black rings on it is broken, as I rub it with my finger, it come off the pin.

What is the purpose of those rings and can I get by with one missing?
I can't seem to find a replacement one yet (tried agd and tunamart) and pictures on the retro valve one look different from the classic rt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Er . . .

These aren't my area, so I'll leave the technical stuff to others, but there aren't really any appendices in the Automag.

Which is to say, you need all your parts. The on/off pin sticking can be fairly common. Try grabbing it using a rubber band for extra grip. If all the seals are as gummed up as the bumper, just get a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers and put a rubber band or some other soft material on the pin stem and gently pull it out. You don't want to mar the pin itself with a metal instrument.

Others will have to weigh in on the valve pin stuff, but whatever it is, you need it, and probably Tuna has it, even if it isn't listed on the site. Have you contacted him personally?

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Euro-feed RT lover

Like Menace said, there are no expendable parts/seals in any automag.

Unless it's a typo, the RT valve shouldn't have ANY black orings in it unless someone used crappy buna orings before. If so, get rid of that and get real mag orings! The reg pin has three orings below it's spring pack. The first and last are standard orings, but the middle is a clear plastic oring that is split on one side so it can pop off. You need all three for the reg pin to function correctly. You can replace them or just buy a whole new reg pin assembly.

Reg Valve Pin Assembly - Retro

Internally, the classic RT valve and later Retro Valve/X-valves are the exact same with the same parts; reg pin, reg piston, reg springs, orings, etc.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

I was referring to the spring pack, alas they are not really springs, cause one individual coil out of it broke and fell out.

As I look at the picture of the retro one it still looks different than mine, particularly the seal part at the end.
So you are saying that in a drop in replacement for the classic rt?
Quote:
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Euro-feed RT lover

Ahh, if your spring pack started to break apart, I would just replace the whole reg piston. It' won't work correctly without the proper tension from the correct number of springs/shims. You also wouldn't want the spring pack to break up internally even more and get those metal shards in your valve. I bought a used RT that had had that happen and it took a while to get it all cleaned out.

Yep, the new RT reg pin I linked to IS a drop in part. I bought new ones for all three of my classic RT's, and my old Retro Valve, and they pop right in and work like a charm because internally the valves are the same.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sounds like it had some regular oil in it prior to storage (besides the buna o-rings). All of the seals probably need replacement. A broken spring pack would indicate a lot of use; check the sear while you are in there.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

^^^ agreed. I recently got a valve in where the reg pin was rusted and all the O-ring were mushy and crumbled when you touched them. Tried airing it up and played "chase the leak" until I literally changed every o-ring in the darn thing. Never seen one like that before. Think someone took the "put it in water and shoot it to clean it" thing too literally.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Guys lets not get ahead of ourselves, perhaps I have been unclear.
There were no buna orings, it is not the spring pack in the reg, I agree that at some point someone might have but something odd in the gun due to that state of the bumper. I bought this gun years ago and only aired it up once and then set it aside in the collection. Just recently I acquired a SHP reg so I wanted to see what this could do.

Now I have not taken pics yet but I can explain off the picture of the one liked by Dusty bottoms.

Name:  115.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  6.8 KB

See the little black things that look like rings/shims/spring pack? Well one of those came off when I pulled the pin out, just one, now the others seem loose.
Quote:
Quote:
My Feedback

Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

The white/clear Lvl10 bumpers degrade and turn to a sticky glue-like substance over time - no gun oil/ wd-40 is needed for that to happen.
I have one more RT valve pin left in my sale: Lots o' Mag stuff

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

You are the Man!!
sending you a pm.
Quote:
Quote:
My Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs