mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

automag problems

hi i just got a mag and i cant figure it out whats wrong
what its doing:
not cycling, barely cycling, or cycling for 1 or two shot before it doesnt cylcle at all
leaking down the barrel

at first i thought it was the onn/off o-ring, i changed it but it still doesnt work

help is appreiciated!
really would like this to be a spydermag very soon!
if its any difference its your average 60 classic mag, pure stock except some kinda foregrip
1cheeselova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hoarder not Whore

you sound like you have never had an automag before. if your brand new read everything you can about them before you take it apart. They can be very complicated. Heres a pretty good faq.

WARPIG - Automag FAQ

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Dave-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
All teh pews

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
Pickup yourself a rebuild kit and replace and lube all of the internal orings. 90% of the time if I pick up an old thats giving me crap, that'll fix it. It'll take you less than 20 minutes and $10 bucks.
Need something anodized? HMU on our team forums above.
SN toter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Is the velocity set high enough?
It will vent from the rear of the valve if it is set too high. I'd give it a turn or two....
Be sure to oil the valve. They love it.

The AGD owner's videos are on YouTube. They will show you how to take apart and reassemble the marker.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Throw some oil in it through the ASA. Check the trigger rod length. Make sure there is a credit card thickness gap between the trigger and the trigger rod end ( when gassed up). Adjust it if its not correct. If it still leaks down the barrel, replace the power tube oring.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
dragshank

Does it cycle one shot, then start bolt stick? I had the same issue with my 68 Classic, because I stupidly, adjusted the air reg. (which you should NEVER do) I had to loosen the regulator nut back to the run off hole to get it working again. But it could also be the spacers..
Old 02-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

First, go to automags.org, sign up and read a lot.

There is a schematic there of the classic valve, it is really simple inside. Before you do anything, and assuming it has been sitting for some time, take the whole thing apart. Grease and lube in the approprite places and try again.

If that doesn't work, THEN look into a new oring kit.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-D View Post
you sound like you have never had an automag before. if your brand new read everything you can about them before you take it apart. They can be very complicated. Heres a pretty good faq.

WARPIG - Automag FAQ
yes this is my first mag but i have read a lot about them and know how to take mine apart almost completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN toter View Post
Pickup yourself a rebuild kit and replace and lube all of the internal orings. 90% of the time if I pick up an old thats giving me crap, that'll fix it. It'll take you less than 20 minutes and $10 bucks.
ok i have a rebuild kit that the seller gave me
i'll replace everything and see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
Is the velocity set high enough?
It will vent from the rear of the valve if it is set too high. I'd give it a turn or two....
Be sure to oil the valve. They love it.

The AGD owner's videos are on YouTube. They will show you how to take apart and reassemble the marker.
i'll oil the valve but i cant even manage to chrono it because sometimes it plain doesnt want to fire, and when it does fire at the chrono it doesnt read

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
Throw some oil in it through the ASA. Check the trigger rod length. Make sure there is a credit card thickness gap between the trigger and the trigger rod end ( when gassed up). Adjust it if its not correct. If it still leaks down the barrel, replace the power tube oring.
ok i'll check the trigger rod, i didnt think of that and i'll try a little more oil in the asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandoman View Post
Does it cycle one shot, then start bolt stick? I had the same issue with my 68 Classic, because I stupidly, adjusted the air reg. (which you should NEVER do) I had to loosen the regulator nut back to the run off hole to get it working again. But it could also be the spacers..
it sometimes doesnt shoot sometimes i can get 5 shots then it pethetically cycles or doesnt shoot. I was told it was spacers by someone at the field but the he didnt know how to replace them and neither do i
Old 02-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Is the bolt catching on the sear after firing/pulling trigger? The mag is open bolt so you should be able to look into the breach and only the front of the bolt. If the bolt is in the breach after attempt to fire you could have a weak main spring.

If you describe in detail what happens/does not happen when you try to fire I am sure we can accurately diagnose the problem.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

ok so this is what happens:
i air it up
leaks down the barrel
when i shoot it stops leaking for a moment then starts again
then it will pethetically cycle, meaning it sounds like it is just barely getting enough air to shoot
then it will stop shoot and firing and i have to degas it then air it up again to restart the cycle
all amounts of shots i get are random
last night i got about 30 shots before it started to barely cycle
when i first air'd it up i only got 3 shots

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs