mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Airsmiths on MCB (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/airsmiths-mcb/)
-   -   Nelspot ball stop (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/airsmiths-mcb/148246-nelspot-ball-stop.html)

idkfa 01-24-2011 05:19 PM

Nelspot ball stop

I am interested in getting a ball stop machined for my Nelspot (2nd generation, no screw to act as a ball stop). It would have to fit the top tube and I would like a parabolic shape like the Automag powerfeed plug. I am thinking of a single piece of delrin, several inches long, maybe with an o-ring groove or two to keep things snug. I would like the front to have a rib or flange on the front so it cannot be pushed too far into the tube.

Anyone up for the task? And if so, a rough idea on cost?

Greenmtnphantom 01-24-2011 06:30 PM

Scarecrow used to have several styles on his website. At one point I asked B about them, he said that he was the one that originally designed them and that he had no better luck wiht any of then than a simple cork from a wine bottle in the right spot.

I made one that I currently use out of a old cracked 10rnd tube, I have it in a thread here some place I will see if I can find it for you so you can see what I did.

idkfa 01-24-2011 06:49 PM

Thanks. A wooden dowel and ten round tube is actually what I am currently using, but I wanted something with a bit more finesse. :)

skx762 01-24-2011 07:28 PM

I had a Scarecrow one (currently on a 007 in Canadia) and they were quality but a pain to adjust properly. I currently have a delrin flat nosed plug in the 007 I am running. It fits like a 10 round tube but is flat nosed and externally it looks just like the nose plug. It's held in place with an o-ring and is easily removed for cleaning or rust preventive oiling maintenance. I like this system the best.

idkfa 01-24-2011 07:33 PM

I would be fine with a flat faced plug. Where did you get this? Any chance of pictures?

Thanks. :)

skx762 01-24-2011 08:43 PM

I think BigOldSkool mentioned he could make them or something like it awhile back. My 007 came with it installed. I don't even think the prior owner even knew it was in there.

I am currently 600 miles away from my markers for another week. It is something I have been meaning to post pictures of though. Just for recording neat mods I run across.

Greenmtnphantom 01-24-2011 09:09 PM

Ok so I suck, I didn't post pictures but here is a discription of what I did.

Please note that I don't think this will work, at least not as well. Without a RTR or other type feedgate.

I took an old 10 rnd tube that had a crack in it and I cut a notch in the bottom of it (the rounded end). I cut it at the point that it curves out the furthest (1/2 way up if it's laying on it's side) and cutting back far enough that it will let the balls drop into the chamber. Then cut the tube to the proper lenth, wrap electrical tape around it to help hold it in place. Then installed the RTR feedgate.

So far it really works like a charm testing it. feeds into the gun quite well and even has a little lip to help prevent the next ball to be fed from rolling back away from the feed port.

idkfa 01-25-2011 02:29 PM

Understood. And thanks.

I wrecked my tube ball stop last time I cleaned my Nelly, so I wanted something a bit nicer.

I will check out Scarecrow.

Unless there is someone here that can turn some delrin?

MaD 01-25-2011 02:58 PM

Does the OD need to be turned down or can you just use a standard size rod and make an end on it?

idkfa 01-25-2011 03:06 PM

That would probably also work. I would prefer to have an edge to mimic the original feed cap, but whatever works...