mcarterbrown.com

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #201 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

the collets go 1/8 up to one inch eh? not bad. doesn't look like ER40 style but that has the equivalent range. I take it that little collet indexing head is coming with it?

PS, .015" backlash is eff all, and you can't ever get away from backlash on a manual mill anyways. DRO makes it a freaking cakewalk... I don't even have one on my mill and I still pull off some serious precise work.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #202 (permalink)

Hey also I did a quick research for you on google for that machine, this is what I found out:

-Most Gorton mills came with B&S #10 Taper, the drawbar pulls the collets up (which are proprietary to the machine with the equipped collet adapter.
-You can actually make an R8 adapter sleeve to use R8 collets if you wanted to, using the same drawbar... but the Gorton collets are probably pretty decent enough already.
-Gorton mills are regarded as being top quality, and reliably built.
-facemilling and boring heads may be quite a challenge for you to mount and use adequately without modifications... sort of disconcerting unless you have a lathe and know how to use it.
-It's an excellent investment for a fair price, especially if you value classic, irreplaceable domestic machine tools
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #203 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Apoc,

Thanks for all the help . I appreciate it! The manual I found for the I-22 says it is either a B&S 9 or B&S 10 taper. (I'm not sure if this is good or bad, so...) haha.

I am itching to get it home, but a cleanout has to happen first (mothers wishes) and that won't be until May... . I really love the fact that it has a DRO, the backlash to me is nothing anyways as I have worked with the bridgeport at college having .04 in backlash. Easy enough just to back off and go at it again.

Can I ask why you say that those two would be difficult? Still learning as I go, but I do have a SB 9" and craftsman 12" that I am learning on as well .

Thanks for all the help!
Abraham
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #204 (permalink)

Well, facemill and boring head won't really be tough to use if you mount em with a straight shank "holder" into the collet, issue with that is that it sticks out further from the spindle and rigidity is reduced... which limits your tool load and puts more wear and tear on the spindle bearings. Ideally a boring head should be fitted directly to a taper shank holder (screw on) and then loaded into the spindle taper, or a facemill with a shell mill type holder... the trick would be sourcing said holders (may exist for B&S tapers but tricky to find), or making your own (not difficult for a seasoned machinist on good manual equipment).

that being said... for small bore work you probably won't have any problems, and face milling might also not be a requirement for the kind of work you do, most work I do with facing is either done side mill (big end mill), or just stepover face milling (again, big end mill).
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #205 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Waiting for this beauty to arrive in the mail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vise.JPG (28.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #206 (permalink)
Aggalicious

And the little shop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (270.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #207 (permalink)

Kurt vises are the best! for conventional 6 and 8 inch vises anyways. how much that cost you? Should also invest in a 3-way vise at some point, will save you lots of time on setting up angled work axes for one-off stuff. Get a nice keyless chuck too, one that can go from 3/8 down to near nothing... if you need to do bigger drills, get a second keyless chuck for half inch (or use a cheap keyed chuck for the bigger drills).
Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #208 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Only paid 250 with shipping, I think I got a good deal . In time I will get more stuff, but I am starting out small and just trying to get good deals here and there!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #209 (permalink)

Good price for one of those! Do self a favour and buy the stepped hard jaws for it, nicer than using parallels for lots of work holding
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #210 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
I always have trouble getting anything flat with stepped jaws. if I'm in .003/in with them I'm normally happy. But, I just never can get the movable jaw to be as consistent as parallels.
lexiones is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB