mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Classic Collector

AKA Viking Software and Cables

Just came to own a VLink cable and figured why not use it to update my Viking to more current shooting modes and shoot ropes at kids with a piece of history. I have found software and updates for both VLink and EquaLink (I have both Pandora and WAS boards.) The only things I'm looking for now are another VLink (the connector on mine is cracked so I worry about being able to plug into the board), an Equalink cable and rMod code for Pandora boards. If anyone knows how replace the connector on the VLink cable and is willing to help, shoot me a PM. Thanks
WholemealDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Classic Collector

anyone willing to help?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Paintballtrader.com*::...

Paintballtrader = Vaporworks

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Paintballtrader.com*::...

Paintballtrader = Vaporworks
thanks but $60 is pretty steep for the cable. the software is available for download for free on that same website.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Do you have pics of either end of the cable? If you can determine the connectors and have a volt meter, we can work out what goes where. Cheers.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Do you have pics of either end of the cable? If you can determine the connectors and have a volt meter, we can work out what goes where. Cheers.
Its the connection that plugs into the board. Wires/pins are still in place just not solid. Curious if anyone knows what connection I would need to buy to fix the cable. Can get pictures later.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post
Its the connection that plugs into the board. Wires/pins are still in place just not solid. Curious if anyone knows what connection I would need to buy to fix the cable. Can get pictures later.
Depending how the pins are arrayed we use Hot Glue [it is a great insulator] to hold connectors together that have broken/weakened [I work in an electronics lab ]. As stated above get us a picture of the cables and connectors and it would be easy work to point you in the correct direction or even build you one.

Off topic - Kind of ironic that I'm an Electronics Engineer but have never owned any Electronic Marker. Guess that is what I get for working with it all day long.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Depending how the pins are arrayed we use Hot Glue [it is a great insulator] to hold connectors together that have broken/weakened [I work in an electronics lab ]. As stated above get us a picture of the cables and connectors and it would be easy work to point you in the correct direction or even build you one.

Off topic - Kind of ironic that I'm an Electronics Engineer but have never owned any Electronic Marker. Guess that is what I get for working with it all day long.
I had considered hot glue but just not willing to risk it. I've read far too much saying "do not disrupt connection as it may cause board damage" warnings and also reading of other people who made their boards go dumb.

Here is a picture:

You can see how the connector is snapped on the left side of it giving it a slanted look. It isn't pressing on the pins evenly, allowing some of them to move. As per usual, sorry for the terrible picture, all I have is a phone.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

That is a connector made by Molex [and other clones] pretty common in the industry. Do you know the pitch [the distance between the center of each pin]? Or take a picture of it on a ruler straight down. There are literally thousands of different connectors like this of all different sizes.

If you have an electronics shop [maybe even Radio Shack though they are near useless anymore] there is a good chance they will have the connector on hand it is a very common style. If I was in the lab I could just rummage through our supply until I found the correct one then give you the part number.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Collector

with 6 pins at 0.5 inch from end to end (center of each pin at either end) works out to be 0.08333 inches between each pin. I figured it was something common just didn't know where to begin. If you have one or two or a part number that would be awesome.

I do know that Radio Shack has basically become useless. Tried getting some parts for a project and got offered a cell phone plan when I asked if they had a specific part. I'll have to see what I have nearby (not a whole lot in a college town.)

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA