mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

2 words.

"Palmer Wedgits"
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
As for cockers I'd have to check to see if it's the end of the sleeve that you want to machine off that binds or the shoulder of the barrel on the front of the body. It's fairly important since the seating of that shoulder helps determine how the barrel aligns with the body.
makes sense. I was looking more at use on snipers/sniper II's, I don't think this would hold up well in a gun that may fire 500+ rounds per game or even 500+ rounds per day of play. I don't see any way that this would be a long term solution but just another idea to throw out there.

Though I do agree with you for the most part I will stray a bit and say that the alignment may not cause too many problems. Since K2 has taken over WGP there is a huge decline in the quality of the barrel thread tapping. My current estimate is that about 75% of the cockers I have seen on the walls of local pb stores in the past 2 years have very poor alignment of the barrel to breach. I realize lining these up and cutting the threads isn't the easiest thing to do, but for a gun that used accuracy to build its reputation I would expect better.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayodder View Post
2 words.

"Palmer Wedgits"
I've had a heckuva time trying to find out much about Wedgits on their site. I finally found out what they were through one of the threads on this forum. I'm surprised they make it so hard to find out info about it.

Anyhow, Wedgits are a mod to the barrel that involves pressing in dimples. Depending on the type of aluminium and any heat treating on the barrels I have this may or may not be doable without causing cracks in the metal. Not to mention that pressing dimples WILL mess up the anodizing and make it flake away around the dimple stressed area.

Has anyone gotten aluminium barrels Wedgit'ed?
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send an e-mail to Palmer's and ask what effect wedgiting will have on your barrel. They are very accessible and give truthful answers in my experience, not just the answer that will gain them some short term business.

custar
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

I could but it's a bit of nuisance sending stuff over the border. Wait... make that a BIG nuisance.

But it would be nice to know about them in alloy barrels. I'll email them anyhow.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

I finally got some time to work on this further. My first try shown below is on one of the very oversized Psycho Ballistics barrels. I figured that if it doesn't work on this then there's no loss since tennis balls would roll out these things!

All in all I'm very happy with how well the machining and wire bending went. It's a very simple job. The wire is .032 music wire from a hobby shop so it starts off straight in 3 foot lengths. The cuts were made with an .040 parting tool to a 35 thou depth for the ring groove cut and a 1/16 woodruffe key cutter was used to make the slot. I thought about making it a little tighter but I'd have to get a new cutter or more likely another of these and grind it down. But then I looked at the detent slot in my recently aquired Automag and found that the opening was HUGE... so taking that as my cue I figured I'd just use what I have for now.

The pics show the machining and the wire detent. This hold even the very small reballs I got until I give a firm puff and then it passes right by. I also put a few paintballs through the detent by just dropping them in and kept feeding so one pushed the other through by cocking the bolt. Nothing broke but then I didn't really expect it to.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice weather so I'm taking out a "few" of my markers to spend a day playing and do a bit of chronoing on the test range in a couple of cases. I'll report back tomorrow night with the results.

As I mentioned before. This is NOT to replace the use of a barrel kit. It IS to let me use a couple of supposedly nice one piece barrels (older Lapco and a Dye Xcel) and more importantly it's to act as test so that I can do something similar to the various pump guns I have where the new small paint just rolls out onto the ground at the slightest tipping down. And I'm sure you stock class guys can agree that it really sucks when you tip your gun down to get the paint to run to the feedneck only to have it roll out as you return the pump handle forward if you're not fast enough to catch it.

dentent1.jpg

detent2.jpg

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 03-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
That looks really nice! Bravo on a clean job.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to doicomehereoften Send a message via MSN to doicomehereoften

That's really very clever. Great job!
I'm really not good at writing signatures. I mean, what is it that you're really trying to do? Write something that somebody's actually going to remember, or even read? Yeah right! Nobody ever actually reads these things.
doicomehereoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks for the comments guys.

Well it rained cats and dogs yesterday... so much for trying out the barrel. Guess I need to rely on some test shooting. But I don't have a catch blanket set up yet. Soon though, very soon.

It worked well enough that I'm going to go ahead with the same mod on my two SL68's and the Ranger. The beauty with those is that they are one barrel go one body so I can mark and put the slot at the top of the barrel so there isn't any chance of any side spins. Same with the SL's since they are just a slip in and clamp setup. It'll be sweet to not get any double feeds or rollouts with follow on blank shots.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Update on the first field trial of the barrel you saw the picture of a few posts above.

I had some ball velocity issues with the cocker I took out today but it was working well enough to play with for a few games.

Using Frostbite paint I was able to get a 6 inch diameter grouping at about 40 feet on the test range easily and got about an 18 inch grouping at about 130 to 150 feet shooting at a 12 to 16 inch tree. And this was with the Pshycho Ballistics barrel of questionable quality and known oversize bore.

And best of all not a single rollout. That's better than I can say for the comparison fireing with the J&J Edge kit. With the .682 I'd need a mallet to get the paint through and with the .685 the odd one would roll through. Test range grouping was pretty much the same or slightly tighter than with the cheap stock PB barrel with the wire detent.

This works well enough that I'm going ahead with about 5 or 6 cocker barrels. After all, these barrels are useless as they sit with paint able to roll out at the slightest downward angle. SO what have I got to loose?

I've got 2 Dye Excells, an older Lapco, the two SL68II barrels, the stock WGP non ported one that came on my Sniper and the older Dye Ultralight one piece on my Ranger pump. That makes 7.

I also looked at the barrel on my Tagmaster and it's far too thin to allow for the groove and slot. I'm going to measure it up and think about the idea of drilling through the body and barrel and install a Piranha rubber detent from the outside. It'll mean that it's a custom fit for each but I won't be changing barrels on that one anyhow.

Last edited by Railgun; 02-18-2007 at 01:38 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts