mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

macroline and co2

Do these two mix well. I've heard of people having issues with macrolines while running co2. I've heard they dryrot or something over time and eventually crack.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

If it's the thick walled stuff you should be okay. But inspect it regularly for cracks or spots where the color of the material has changed... doesn't look shiny.

And always keep an extra length of it in your tool kit just in case.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
If it's the thick walled stuff you should be okay. But inspect it regularly for cracks or spots where the color of the material has changed... doesn't look shiny.

And always keep an extra length of it in your tool kit just in case.

E
I heard of someone wrapping their macro in thick black tape, just in case it decided to explode. Maybe a good idea--save your hearing or finger

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Boom!

CO2 will blow a hole in it on a 90 degree day. Or if you leave the tank in the sun.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Try not to bend it too much. That's the only failure I've had on CO2 macro, where it was bent in a U and regularly manipulated. Blew out right at the top of the U where you should expect it to.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

THe problem is pretty simple. Co2 on a hot day is about 1500psi, and can be 2000+ if your tanks is overfilled.

Most macroline is rated for 500psi, and some is rated for 800psi. Most fittings are rated around 500psi.

Generally, its barely enough to safely run hpa. The thinner stuff for LP-output tanks, and the thicker for HP-output. I'd never run it on co2, unless downstream a vented regulator.

But to be fair, lots of people will say they have used it for "years with hardly any problems", and you can sometimes find stronger line and fittings.

But you reach a point where you have to question why its important? Braided stainless is far stronger, and flexible. Its just not as convenient. If you don't like the looks of braided, and willing to accept some risk, that use the macroline. Microline is a better choice, as its stronger (given the same specs), or setup a hardline. Hardlines are always sexier.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Cool all good things to know thanks all
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Habs fan!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
THe problem is pretty simple. Co2 on a hot day is about 1500psi, and can be 2000+ if your tanks is overfilled.

Most macroline is rated for 500psi, and some is rated for 800psi. Most fittings are rated around 500psi.

Generally, its barely enough to safely run hpa. The thinner stuff for LP-output tanks, and the thicker for HP-output. I'd never run it on co2, unless downstream a vented regulator.

But to be fair, lots of people will say they have used it for "years with hardly any problems", and you can sometimes find stronger line and fittings.

But you reach a point where you have to question why its important? Braided stainless is far stronger, and flexible. Its just not as convenient. If you don't like the looks of braided, and willing to accept some risk, that use the macroline. Microline is a better choice, as its stronger (given the same specs), or setup a hardline. Hardlines are always sexier.
I dont know what type of macro line you are using, i have been told that it is rated from 700 - 1100 psi. As most tanks have a high output pressure of 850psi then we would be seeing alot more failure on a daily basis if they were only rated from 500-800 psi. Keep in mind that tank regulators are usually about +/- 50-100 psi.

As for the main question keep some spares in your gearbag and inspect it for cracks or discoloration like schmitt said. You should be fine with it .
Studwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
camocow200

IMHO,Never..Its just not worth the risk,,My buddy got hit with a fragment with his line exploded and made his hand bleed...Ya just never know.

Ebay, camocow200 (700)+
MCB 275 +
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
At what point would braided line and its fittings blow out?
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts