mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Moderator General

Fan of EMR
Lapco Stainless AC barrels?

I'm considering a Lapco Stainless barrel to finish up my 'cocker, mainly because it will complete the look I'm going for. But I am unsure of the models/features they were available in. I know they come in 12", which is what I'm interested in.

What about bore size? Anyone know what was available?

How about the muzzle break? I've seen the typical lapco tips, with the row of porting right behind it. Did any of them have the last inch or two overbored like my aluminum microshot, or were they all single bore?

Any other features of note that may or may not have come on these? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I'm pretty sure both the Autospirit and Bigshot came in stainless. Autospirits were .687, and I think Bigshots were .689, or maybe larger.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator General

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
I'm pretty sure both the Autospirit and Bigshot came in stainless. Autospirits were .687, and I think Bigshots were .689, or maybe larger.
Ya those are the only two I found on PB reveiw, and their info on bore size is the same as yours. Good to know, thanks WilD.

Anyone know if there were any variations within these models? Still curious about an overbored muzzle break as well.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hawkeye: Finest Kind

CCM Fan
Have you considered a nickled plated Palmers barrel? They come in a variety of bore sizes, with or without widgets. They could probably do a custom muzzle break for you. There motto is "custom still means something"

Just a thought.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderator General

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
Have you considered a nickled plated Palmers barrel? They come in a variety of bore sizes, with or without widgets. They could probably do a custom muzzle break for you. There motto is "custom still means something"

Just a thought.
Nah, far too high class for me At this point, the only other barrel I'm considering is a BOA snakebit. But I'm really leaning toward the lapco simply for the look( i know, I'm shallow) I'll be using breach sizers, so bore isn't immensly important. But I would prefer the smallest available.

And the muzzle break doesn't make or break the deal. I'm more curious, were all the SS barrel single bore, or did any have the overbored muzzle break like some of the later models(i.e. my microshot)?

Thanks for the input!

Temple of the Dog
Quote:

Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

The muzzle break on the one Makeshift had is overbored. I think its a .687 because Marbs fit tight.
Wildgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator General

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgoat View Post
The muzzle break on the one Makeshift had is overbored. I think its a .687 because Marbs fit tight.
Good to know.

Although now I know the barrel I had to pass on at a great price was exactly the one I wanted...

Temple of the Dog
Quote:

Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

you can find Lapcos in a myriad of bore sizes. the standard bores are as stated above, but i've seem them in .684(Microshot), .690, .692, .697(or bigger for the Galatic Z version). Lapco when Colin Thompson was there would occasionally do custom bores or custom series. stainless, you'll find more in the standard bores than anything different or custom, and even then you'll only find the Bigshot and Autospirit. also, the stainless will also only be in the standard Lapco 11.5". only the aluminium barrels came in the off sizes. i have sizes from 8" to 14" but those are all in aluminium.

if its a one piece, then the bore is to the muzzle break and then it wide mouths. that was the Lapco way.

also, you could look for a Nickle Lapco. half or less the weight of the SS but with all the shiny you could want. i do have one, so i know they exist(hell, i have a Lapco that Colin Thompson doesn't even remember making), but it isn't for sale. if i remember, they came in 12" or 14", but its been like 7+ years since they where new.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

To my knowledge they haven't made Stainless in barrels in nearly 10 years, back then it was BIg shot or Autospirit, 11.5 " single bore with two rings of wide porting then an inch of overbore, if you can find anything different that would be quite a rarity. I have a Stainles Bigshot for 98C, hasn't been used in a long time but it would take a lot to part with it, I like the heft.

Colin said he stopped making them becasue it was hard to meet his standards for concentricity.

I just checked on Ebay - nothing - good luck

Last edited by Beest; 02-01-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Moderator General

Fan of EMR
Cool thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I'll set my sites on a SS Autospirit, that's exactly what I'm looking for. As far as finding one...this is MCB and I'm a patient man

Temple of the Dog
Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts