mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Question about Sheridan Equalizer reg?

So, I'm bored and decided to revisit and old issue ... gutting an Equalizer's regulator to eliminate it from use and allow a quicker recharging external regulator to be used.

The Equalizer's reg is similar to most other regs out there these days and has some things in common to a CP/Empire/Shocktech reg. Granted it does differ signifigantly in air routing but the components are surprizingly familiar in pattern

the real meat of my question is ... what's the best way to accomplish the gutting of a regulator? Can I remove the Belleville spring stack to allow pas through pressure? Or will i need to remove more? I appears that removing the piston itself will create a massive leak as the airflow is through the piston into the firing chamber ... so the piston has to stay.

I'll get some pics up of the internals later but was most curious about if removing the spring and possibly the seat only would disable the reg or cause a stop in flow?
I have no life, I'm just a dad in constant flux between baby naps and 8yr old tantrums.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 02-19-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

why not just use a gas through grip? might not have the looks of the reg, but you are essentially doing the same thing, IMO.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The Sheridan Equalizer is an inline blow forward with integrated regulator ... similar to a Mag.
It is closer in relation to the Phenom/TPX markers in design and operation (I'm a firm believer it was Tippy's basis for their design - but that's another thread entirely.

the rear half of the marker is the regulator/ASA assembly. Essentially I'm trying to turn the reg into a gas through.
I have no life, I'm just a dad in constant flux between baby naps and 8yr old tantrums.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

this is what I'm working with ...

and this is my super paint skills showing what it looks like inside

It isn't perfrect but it's close to kinda scalish ... alls the parts are there.

from that I'm beginning to think I may be able to increase the refresh rate instead of gutting it. What if I delete the check valve in the regulator piston (increasing flow through the piston), increase the passage way size from the ASA (increasing flow to the piston), and plug off the ... what I'm assuming is a blow off poppit on the side circuit as it doesn't seem to serve any other purpose so far (the seal keeps it closed at all times)?

I'm still not going to get any real speed increase (not that I'm looking for one) due to the trigger valve (wondering if I can use Tippy parts to improve this?), but if I can get the refresh rate into a reasonable territory (as in out of a time measured in WHOLE seconds) I can make it reasonable.
It really is an interesting marker, and really gets some double takes.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 02-20-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Nothing?

Someone's gotta be willing to admit to knowing something about the Equalizer ... I mean with all the negative comments about it over the years ...

... Anyone?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I may be wrong but it looks like you could remove the adjuster piston and loctite the adjustment screw to seal things. at that point couldn't you remove the main reg piston as well?
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
aka Alby

Send a message via AIM to pinkanese

AKA Fan
I have a friend with a few of these, he did more or less what you are talking about doing. Blocked off the internal reg and added an external air line to reroute flow to the dump chamber. I am not completely sure how he did it though, also there is a small issue, the little piston at the top of your drawing is what keeps the marker from firing when gasses up, so if you mess with that you need to find a new work around .
Nobody actually plays on MCB, they just hoard and sell.
pinkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I may be wrong but it looks like you could remove the adjuster piston and loctite the adjustment screw to seal things. at that point couldn't you remove the main reg piston as well?
The piston has to stay, without it there is no seal between the back and front portion of the reg bodies.

@ pinkanese ... Do you mean the plunger in the side circuit or the check valve in the piston itself.

I was thinking to delete the piston's check valve, increase passage sizes in the body and go from there ...

There is also a power valve (plastic check valve) on the firing port side similar to an early model Desert Fox (which operates in a similar fashion to an equalizer).

If I can increase the refresh rate of the stock reg, that'd be the best option. I'm currently trying to figure out why it was so bad to begin with. The regulator design is similar to many of the more popular ones, I'm thinking the tiny inlet port from the ASA (5/64"~3/32") and the winding path it takes just to get to the piston may be a possibility. And then there is that internal check valve in the piston ... The side circuit can be left as is and shouldn't cause any issue since it appears to be a sealed passage as is.

Edit - just looked over the internal parts again ... The air flow goes in through the adjustment plunger, I though something wasn't right ... I'll update the reg schematic tonight once the wife's asleep.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 02-20-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

updated the diagrams and moved some pics around to better indicate operation. Hopefully my sketchy paint skills can relay the needed info for comment.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Increasing flow in the stock reg, eh...well, removing that ball check valve from inside the reg piston would probably help. I'm really confused as to why that's there. I mean, seriously...if someone could explain that design feature, I'd love to hear it.

The next most important choke point would be around the reg seat, but it doesn't look like you could easily modify that for higher flow without running the risk of damaging things beyond repair.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts