mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Palmer Typhoon

So how does a Typhoon compare to some of the modern guns today, like a Vice or an Ego? Or even a Viking?

MINT Russian Legion Marq F/S
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/e...tml#post995787
ebolamonkey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Easy, it doesn't take batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

that's a great question. one that i would never ever see or expect to see.

well, you can take the viking and either the vice or ego and it should weigh the same as the typhoon.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Easy, it doesn't take batteries.
Haha, I'm not worried about rate of fire. In terms of consistency, accuracy and how smooth/quiet the gun is, how does it compare to today's top end markers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
that's a great question. one that i would never ever see or expect to see.

well, you can take the viking and either the vice or ego and it should weigh the same as the typhoon.
Haha that's awesome.

MINT Russian Legion Marq F/S
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/e...tml#post995787
ebolamonkey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Typhoons are quite smooth, and fairly quiet if the barrel is ported. They can be very consistent as well if tuned properly, but for the big problem that they suffer from now... Small paint. Most typhoons will be around a .690 bore and that can cause consistency problems with small paint, as well as rollouts.

I've owned a series of Typhoons since the late 90s and they are fine guns, but the reality is they are something of a relic now. They aren't going to provide a performance edge over much these days, so using one now is about the look/ feel... Style.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Wouldn't a Typhoon be a modern gun, considering they are still produced and you can buy them new?

Just sayin'
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

other than the weight, i would personally go with a Blazer over the Typhoon. its more of a functional tastes, since the Blazer has a removable barrel(which either can have barrel kits or a freak barrel over the single bore), its smaller(personal taste), weighs less and is cheaper in some regards. it also is faster, not as fast as an electro but you can hammer on the trigger enough to keep someone's head down.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Wouldn't a Typhoon be a modern gun, considering they are still produced and you can buy them new?

Just sayin'
They could be, if they had been updated to modern standards. Kind of like a new '69 Camaro built from Dynacorn stampings and NOS parts - technically it's new, but it's still a 40+ year old design using 40+ year old technology.

The Blazer is the evolution of the Typhoon platform - removable barrel, internal pneumatics, .45 frame, somewhat easier to work on. Like Wild said - owning and using a Typhoon is more about causing a stir at the local fields than trying to stay competitive. Even Glenn Palmer uses a custom Blazer.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Ravi has a great review of a phoon! Last summer & fall, paint was larger. It may just be that winter paint is smaller. With wegits, you can probably shoot paint as small as .682.

It is a marker I would like to try!
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
uncanny

AKA Fan
I once briefly owned Ravi's old typhoon. I bought it from him though re.sport.paintball back in 98 or 99. I planned to use it at a local field, but the field had shut down due to a local fire. I ended up selling it back on rec.sport.paintball 2 months later.

It was very smooth, as it was the actual gun he used for his trigger job article. I also loved the aesthetic. I bought it at a time when I didn't want to spend money on a a high end autococker for my first semi, but never had a chance to shoot it at a field. I just test fired it in my room and back yard. It was quiet, smooth and consistent.

It may be heavier than todays newer guns, but it was still lighter than my old kp2 rifle. I regret selling that famous typhoon, but needed the money for a second son that was growing quickly.

mcb feedback
Customcockers.com feedback
Mostly mechanical autocockers
paintballedbackin88 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts